IGNORED

Attitude To Fans & Personality

Oakleyson

Reading through the various posts on here about Carey (not exactly Mr Interesting) left me wondering how much a players personality or the way he gets on with fans counts these days .... Before you jump to the conclusion that is another Carey post, my point is a general and can be directed at any player.

Are we somehow more forgiving "expect less" of players with a big personality or character?

Are we more forgiving when things go wrong or they delay renewing their contract, of players who relate well to the fans?

Who at City in your experience has had the best attitude to fans over the years?

I'm sure tinman has been let of the hook more often in terms of dodgy passes than other players simply because he bothers to engage the fans.

Other abuse of players simply borders on racism - look at all that roberts has done for us when he's been put in the right place vs how much stick he gets.

Reading through the various posts on here about Carey (not exactly Mr Interesting) left me wondering how much a players personality or the way he gets on with fans counts these days .... Before you jump to the conclusion that is another Carey post, my point is a general and can be directed at any player.

Are we somehow more forgiving "expect less" of players with a big personality or character?

Are we more forgiving when things go wrong or they delay renewing their contract, of players who relate well to the fans?

Who at City in your experience has had the best attitude to fans over the years?

I think a lot of it is down to the players consistency, passion and ability. If they have these then they will be liked. A lot of the players people don't seem worried about losing the players who only have one of these. Aarron Brown probably has the most ability of any of our players but he doesn't have the passion and consistency. Carey again lacks. People seem a little more worried because, while he lacks a lot he does have passion, has ability to defend and is consistent.

Players such as Shaun Taylor have shown a real desire to play for us and were willing to put their body on the line and have been liked, while a far more skillful and technically better player such as Thorpe has been forgotten about very quickly.

Akinbiyi is a good example of someone who came to city to progress his career. He was well liked and was not disliked for wanting to better himself because he put his all in when he was here.

Guest Rikku

I think the level of effort and commitment that a player puts in is a hugely important factor in whether or not they are popular with the fans. If a player simply does not possess the ability then it is not the fault of the player but the fault of the manager/board for signing him in the first place. Effort, commitment and consistency are all things that the player himself has control over and those that give their all whilst they are wearing a city shirt are going to be favoured over those who do not - even if those that don't try so hard or have the same amount of passion are technically better.

I also believe that players that frequently acknowledge the fans are preferred because, at the end of the day, without the supporters the players would not have their contracts. The ones that recognise this fact automatically endear themselves to the fans. Those that don't can quickly appear to be "too big for their boots".

Just judging by meeting the players on the last few open days, how they were with my kids when signing autographs, getting photos etc. The best player by a mile was....Roberts. He was really chatty, great with the kids and a lovely bloke. Beadle, Murray and Lee P were also very friendly. Matty Hill was great too, he thanked everyone when he signed their autographs. Another throughly nice bloke.

Some other players looked like they really didn't want to bother,they just signed without a second glance,which was a shame as it was at their open day. It wasn't as if we were disturbing them out shopping etc. :dunno:

Obviously lots of the players we have got now weren't at the last open day. I'll be watching again this year though. So if any of the players are reading this, be nice to your fans, as according to some we have the power to make or break you! :yawn:

I think Rougier adeared himself to the fans as well... everytime he came on/went off or trained he would alsways come over to the fans clap and pull on the city badge.. it was a good was to get all the city fans behind him and lift his confidence.. the same way as when an important corner is happening late on in a game for example and Tinman or Murray run over to take it and wave thier arms at the fans trying to get some passion/belife behind the team.. I think more of the players should do it, and they should remember at the end of the day we do pay thier wages!

Archived