IGNORED

Wilson's Signings

Betelgeuse

I hear that Scott Murray fella isn't too bad! :dunno:

In all seriousness, Butler and Roberts haven't looked too bad when they've been motivated, whilst Wilkshire and Miller look to have a lot of talent.

Worst signing was probably Mark Summerbell. Thank goodness it was only a loan!

My personal favourite would have to be Rougier, purely on the basis of his second half display against Plymouth which was scintillating.

On a value for money basis I think that Butler has been a model professional since he joined, sure his form dipped a little last season but he quietly gets on with the job and has helped Coles develop into a better player.

Best Roberts (good value for money), Worse Wilkshire (terrible waste of money)

Edit: The Scott Murray re-signing I believe by the end of this season will be viewed as his last big mistake

I didn't think that that was his doing. Think it went on above him.

I heard that too, however, was assured by somebody in another thread that was simply not true.

I personally don't believe that our board would do things in that sort of way; I put it down to rumour.

Personally, I think it was a panic buy with the hope (as opposed to belief) that Scott would come straight in and start notching as if he was never away.

It didn't happen then and I personally don't believe it will happen in the coming season.

Will be an interesting test of Tin's ability to lead our club. If your "best man" is not contributing, how long do you give it?

Wilson kept with his (i.e. Leapy) when fans were crying out for Roberts or Lita to be given a chance and may have* ultimately paid the price with his job.

* - this presumes Roberts goals earlier in the season may have secured auto-promotion

I heard that too, however, was assured by somebody in another thread that was simply not true.

I personally don't believe that our board would do things in that sort of way; I put it down to rumour. 

Personally, I think it was a panic buy with the hope (as opposed to belief) that Scott would come straight in and start notching as if he was never away.

It didn't happen then and I personally don't believe it will happen in the coming season. 

Will be an interesting test of Tin's ability to lead our club.  If your "best man" is not contributing, how long do you give it?

Wilson kept with his (i.e. Leapy) when fans were crying out for Roberts or Lita to be given a chance and may have* ultimately paid the price with his job.

* - this presumes Roberts goals earlier in the season may have secured auto-promotion

I think they were offered him and jumped at the chance of taking him back. I don't think it is a malicious thing to do by signing him, withou consoulting the boss.

I don't think Scott will set the world alight with goals but he will contribute to our team. Another quick player who can get behind the defence but also someone who is able to help out the defence.

Yeah we are going to have to wait and see how Tins will play it and how long he will give each player and his style of play a chance. I think he believes in his judgement so will keep playing his style and players even in the face of backlash from the fans. Good on him if he does too!

Neo how did I know you would say Roberst was the best. I think Butler was good for the fact he cost nothing and was what we were missing in our team. Wilson made a few good loan signings. What happened to Silva though? Dunning wasn't great though although made a great tackle against oxford away. I'm still not sure about Wilkshiremay still come good .

Neo how did I know you would say Roberst was the best.  I'm still not sure about Wilkshiremay still come good .

Somebody had to say Roberts. Face facts, nobody else would :yawn:

I hope you're right about Wilkshire. I don't want him to fail and would loved to be proven wrong.

I think he will have to battle Bradley for a place and may well have a good fight on his hands. Let's hope so for the good of the team!

Forever :dunno:

Guest ashtonyate

I think Murray seconed time around was a bad buy. He could not get into reading team and

we got him to play in that division if we had gone up.We should have saved the money we could have got him back for peanuts now if we had wanted too That buy cost Wilson his job he should have got big tall goal scorer when we were on our 11 game run. We would have gone up without any of the Cardiff

rubbish :dunno:

Guest ashtonyate

Pea cock always had a hard time scoring goals a good striker in Citys team last season should have had 25 /30 goals that would have put us up as champs

Murray was doing fine at Reading until Coppell came in and then found himself frozen out. When he came back to Bristol he was clearly lacking match practice and with Rougier playing well it made sense to leave him on the bench. I think that with the old cliche of a good pre-season Murray will be back and playing like its 2002/03 again.

Best buys - Roberts (17 goals in 1st full season without takin pens was worth £100k for that alone!) and Butler.

Worst buys - Wilkshire and Miller - more for the timing of them than what they may go on to achieve. They simply didn't improve the team last season, so for an outlay of approx 600k and no immediate return for that money meant we failed to go up and ultimately cost him his job.

Guest thewednesday
Best buys - Roberts (17 goals in 1st full season without takin pens was worth £100k for that alone!) and Butler.

Worst buys - Wilkshire and Miller - more for the timing of them than what they may go on to achieve. They simply didn't improve the team last season, so for an outlay of approx 600k and no immediate return for that money meant we failed to go up and ultimately cost him his job.

your best signing must of been peacock

Best - Tony Butler

Worst - Lee Matthews

By the way, Lee Peacock was defiantely not the worst signing! I remember in 2000 he was a huge fans favourite, everybody thought he was brilliant, hungry powerful striker, worked harder, quieter lad, only scored power-blastsers from outside the box in them days. But then Lee Matthews arrived at the club and they were both at lapdancing clubs every night from then on, Peacock became more interested in his hair style it seemed. But he was still our most reliable striker!

Best has got to be either Tony Butler(While age may be slowly creeping up on him when he first signed on loan and then permanently he was awesome...he was a collussus at the back towards the end of the season against QPR and Plymouth etc...still a few dodgy moments though..I love his little sidesteps of attackers when they work!!) or Christian Roberts(wish our fans would support him a bit more..would be a shame if he gets forced out...18 goals and numerous assists with Murray in the team..let's hope for a repeat this year)!....And got a feeling that Stephen Gillespie will be fantastic(if you believe the hype!)..!

Worst has got to be Tony Hey!! Anyone remember him? Although he was just on a temporary contract if memory serves me rightly...Matthews wasn't much better apart from a few awesome derby matches(Baadiff/Gas/Swindle)and his debut against Millwall!! One of the best debuts I can remember...scoring an injury-time penalty in front of the Atyeo with rioting Millwall fans at the other end..happy days(well not the rioting..but the game was fantastic...3 sendings off..Beads going mental etc)..shame he spent more time in the treatment room/local takeaway than on the pitch! What happened to all the "Lee Amigos" hype at the start of the season?!?!

Yet to be overly impressed by that pacy right-winger Luke Wilkshire either, although shows a few touches of quality that suggest he could become a quality player if played in the centre for us and not with Australia for the majority of the time!!

Craig Fagan was useless for us, Mark Summerbell equally awful(why did he continue to play him rather giving Clist/Hulbert a chance?!), and Harpal Singh was nothing more than a one-game wonder!

Let's hope Tins' signings are more successful...!!

How people can say Scott Murray was his worst signing/decision is just unbelivable, what are you on about? :dunno:

He's only started like, what? 5 or 6 games since his return, hasn't been fit, had no match practice really. No he won't score 29 goals again, he never will, that was just a complete one off season goalscoring wise, but he'll still show us the class he did, get a few goals and assist Hefferenan all the way to the Championship.

Some of you need to wake up and get a reality check.

Archived