IGNORED

Just had a thought...not an ideal one.

Mr Popodopolous

Think we would get away fans in home ends but not any large numbers, I was at the Colston Hall on Saturday and popped in to the pub next to the Hippodrome to watch the results and was very surprised and quite wound up to be honest at the amount of "football fans" from Bristol who were laughing at City and Rovers scores, Bristol must have a high number of football fans that don't support City or Rovers far higher than other big cities but they probably make the trip to Wembely for finals etc.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Supposing we get promoted to the PL- we can hope and it would be amazing.

Given the makeup of Bristol- lots of Man U fans, like in a lot of places and lots of incomers who choose Man U as their side. For Man U also add Arsenal, perhaps Liverpool and to a lesser extent the other big boys.

What happened Saturday with away fans in home ends will look minor. Can see it going off all around the ground if away side score- as I dare say quite a few PL fans, especially modern ones, glory ones and student types would indeed cheer. Which would yield a less than jolly reaction from the home fans in all stands with the possible  exception of the Lansdown.

Thoughts on this- or am I all wrong?

A lot more away fans getting a shoeing.

7 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

I think we have to be realistic about our chances of becoming an actual force in English football. Suppose we do go up, how likely is it that we'll become another Southampton? It's far more probable that we'll have one season of getting absolutely ******* pasted, then we'll get stuck back in the Championship with all our players on huge wages. As well as that, much of the matchday experience would be lost. Deeply unappealing to me.

If Burnley, Swansea and Bournemouth can stay up, why not us?

On 24/10/2017 at 14:12, ZiderEyed said:

It always worries me, and I've said this on this forum before, but I don't think that reaching the Premiership is the promised land. I'd rather have a superb atmosphere, players playing for the fans, and not have to worry about getting dicked 4 or 5-0 week in week out. I don't want the whole Sky package getting its grubby little hands all over my beloved.

So you're saying that the current state of the club is the pinnacle for your football entertainment? Better than winning the prem or champions league?

11 minutes ago, joeyb said:

So you're saying that the current state of the club is the pinnacle for your football entertainment? Better than winning the prem or champions league?

The reason I go to City is a culmination of different factors, the actual football on the pitch is a part of it, but as I said, I'd rather have a great atmosphere, properly run, than get ripped to shreds every week. Realistically, how likely is it that we'll be Premier League champions? Is it not in fact, far more likely, that if we do go up we might have a few seasons getting pasted, before getting relegated? Just being realistic here mate.

I think if we got promoted SL would go all out to rebuild the Atyeo whilst the Sky money is flowing.

Double tiered 10,000 seater stand segregated 50/50 - so 5000 away seats, with room to enlarge that when playing Man Utd (can't believe I just typed that!) they could have an extra couple of thousand if we don't shift all the 'home' seats in the new stand.

This should satisfy *most* away followings.

with the hundreds of millions on offer just for one year in the prem, it would make the acquisition cost of the houses and rebuild look like chump change.

With a capacity of 33-35,000 there would be minimal problems.

The new stand could be built behind and over the Atyeo so the stand could still be used, with it being demolished, and the lower tier finished in the off season. It should join up all the stadium, probably adding another 1000 or so in the 2 new corners.

It just takes 1 season in the prem to pay for a stadium that will last 50 years - and paid for by Sky essentially.

If we don't survive, then yes, it will have empty seats but we average nearly 20,000 this year, so hopefully some new 'prem' fans will stay on if we do down.

It's all hypothetical I know, and highly unlikely this year or next, but if it ever happens, then it's Lansdowns big chance to finally finish his 'legacy stadium' with someone else (sky) paying for it!

I remember the Division 1 games - if you build it, they will come - and make AG a wonderful place to play football which would be the envy of many many clubs.

We are so close - January and next seasons transfer dealings are the most important in the clubs history!

5 minutes ago, SX227 said:

I think if we got promoted SL would go all out to rebuild the Atyeo whilst the Sky money is flowing.

Double tiered 10,000 seater stand segregated 50/50 - so 5000 away seats, with room to enlarge that when playing Man Utd (can't believe I just typed that!) they could have an extra couple of thousand if we don't shift all the 'home' seats in the new stand.

with the hundreds of millions on offer just for one year in the prem, it would make the acquisition cost of the houses and rebuild look like chump change.

The new stand could be built behind and over the Atyeo so the stand could still be used, with it being demolished, and the lower tier finished in the off season. It should join up all the stadium, probably adding another 1000 or so in the 2 new corners.

It just takes 1 season in the prem to pay for a stadium that will last 50 years - and paid for by Sky essentially.

If we don't survive, then yes, it will have empty seats but we average nearly 20,000 this year, so hopefully some new 'prem' fans will stay on if we do down.

It's all hypothetical I know, and highly unlikely this year or next, but if it ever happens, then it's Lansdowns big chance to finally finish his 'legacy stadium' with someone else (sky) paying for it!

I remember the Division 1 games - if you build it, they will come - and make AG a wonderful place to play football which would be the envy of many many clubs.

We are so close - January and next seasons transfer dealings are the most important in the clubs history!

I just desperately hope it doesn't become a bowl. I'd so much rather we had at least one separate stand. ******* hate the modern trend of a big ugly soulless bowl.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 13:35, Busterrimes said:

It is possible but if we were to make the Premershit then most of the home seats would be season tickets

I think you can safely say ALL the home seats would be home fans, we should easily sell 23.000 if they don't charge silly money for them of course.

22 minutes ago, SX227 said:

I admire your optimism but re member this is Bristol you are talking about almost nothing gets done without a fight. 

23 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I just desperately hope it doesn't become a bowl. I'd so much rather we had at least one separate stand. ******* hate the modern trend of a big ugly soulless bowl.

And by contrast, a giant single tier stand, perhaps same height as the Lansdown, would make Ashton Gate one of the most charismatic grounds in the country.

4 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

And by contrast, a giant single tier stand, perhaps same height as the Lansdown, would make Ashton Gate one of the most charismatic grounds in the country.

That would be ******* glorious though mind.

On 24/10/2017 at 13:49, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's an itneresting issue though- proves IMO we are still one of the less sanitised grounds in modern game.

I knew people who have cheered in home ends in other parts of the country...no reaction. One of them a Millwall at Palace in 2010.

I went to MK dons v Chelsea in the fa cup last year or the year before (was a freebie) and I couldn’t believe how many chelsea fans were in the home end, in full colours, and cheering when they scored. Shows what a sanatised and poorly supported little franchise they are, id hate to see Ashton Gate like that but at the same time I don’t think it would happen. Put Premiee league football at Ashton Gate and the fans will come, the Wembley trips are enough proof of that.

Great thread with a variety of views. Many will agree a d strongly disagree with these opinions which is what makes it a great forum compared with 6-12 months ago when most people on here were talking about sacking Lee, doubting how good MA is and even criticising the best owner in Britain. 

For me the EPL is not the promised la d and primarily it supports the two money-driven diseases killing g our nation Al game, namely Sky and football agents bringing  in players from all over the world instead of from Britain. Imagine some fans today who go to Sunderland, Watford and all away games not being able to get a ticket for Xhelski and Old Trafford - would make my blood boil

8 hours ago, pillred said:

I think you can safely say ALL the home seats would be home fans, we should easily sell 23.000 if they don't charge silly money for them of course.

I think you have to keep a certain percentage back for general sale , but I imagine it wont be that many.
10% , 2,700 , so 20k ST's which in the Perm would be possible and then I would imagine there would still be a few who would go down the membership route. Probably get some in the home areas but not many.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

I went to MK dons v Chelsea in the fa cup last year or the year before (was a freebie) and I couldn’t believe how many chelsea fans were in the home end, in full colours, and cheering when they scored. Shows what a sanatised and poorly supported little franchise they are, id hate to see Ashton Gate like that but at the same time I don’t think it would happen. Put Premiee league football at Ashton Gate and the fans will come, the Wembley trips are enough proof of that.

Milton Keynes- have a mate or 2 from there- is known for lots of fans of the London clubs. Different context, culture.

Nonetheless- in a Cup game- I could see the slightly worrying scenario I outlined- however unlike MK, the away fans of big clubs in home ends would leave one way or another. :laugh:

We are certainly not sanitised by modern standards, long may it continue.

Archived