IGNORED

Our players in the PL

SedRA

As we all know the Premier League has a huge amount of foreign talent playing in it - almost 70%, the highest in the world.

Which got me thinking, if we were back to levels of say 20-25 years ago (there were only 14 foreign players in the first season of the premier league!). How many of our players would probably be playing in the top division? The obvious ones are Bryan, Baker, Flint who would probably have already been there even 10 years ago, but I suppose potentially the whole team would already be premier league players if not for the foreign influx. 

Maybe they will all be next season anyway ;) 

Yes, many of our Uk/local players would be higher up the chain I would think, some being top flight players, probably at struggling or middling clubs. Equally, Billy Bodin would be a Championship player (I suppose).  Even that dosser Robinson Crusoe shaggy beard bloke they've got  would be higher up the pyramid. Possibly.

It's impossible to say really. There are loads of talented English kids who found their paths to the first team at a prem team blocked who would probably have got 1st team football at a younger age and may have developed differently. Caulker, Bostock, JET all spring to mind as players who may have found opportunities rather than lost momentum in their careers. That said, I certainly think we have a few players who would be at Prem level in a different era

2 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

It's impossible to say really. There are loads of talented English kids who found their paths to the first team at a prem team blocked who would probably have got 1st team football at a younger age and may have developed differently. Caulker, Bostock, JET all spring to mind as players who may have found opportunities rather than lost momentum in their careers. That said, I certainly think we have a few players who would be at Prem level in a different era

Good point about JET, I wonder if he would've kicked on if he had been able to have the limelight a little easier? I feel like he might have thrived more if it was easier for him to stay in a top team. 

Just now, RedSA said:

Good point about JET, I wonder if he would've kicked on if he had been able to have the limelight a little easier? I feel like he might have thrived more if it was easier for him to stay in a top team. 

Yes he’s brilliantly talented. One of the most talented players I’ve seen here. I question his work ethic and commitment to being a footballer. Seems he prefers certain aspects of the life to others.

I’ll never forget some of his fantastic goals - the one against Rovers in particular.

34 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yes he’s brilliantly talented. One of the most talented players I’ve seen here. I question his work ethic and commitment to being a footballer. Seems he prefers certain aspects of the life to others.

I’ll never forget some of his fantastic goals - the one against Rovers in particular.

Developing in Arsenal's academy, he probably thought/was told that his obvious natural talent would see him become a top player at a top team (as Arsenal were back then).

Dreaming of that, and then coping with the reality of plying a trade in League One must be a big mental blow.

As a kid you were told to expect the Champions League, and now you need to turn up for the Football Trophy against the likes of Bristol Rovers - that will likely do things to an ego-centric person's motivations.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I completely agree, but I think in another era he would have been in and around the Arsenal team a lot more at an earlier age and that would have perhaps changed his motivations. Not to mention the fact that 10, 15, 20 years ago you didn't have to be quite as much of an athlete to play at the top level. JET is many things, but a natural athlete he is not

21 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I completely agree, but I think in another era he would have been in and around the Arsenal team a lot more at an earlier age and that would have perhaps changed his motivations. Not to mention the fact that 10, 15, 20 years ago you didn't have to be quite as much of an athlete to play at the top level. JET is many things, but a natural athlete he is not

JET for England? 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep, he could of been so much more. I would say Jamie Paterson is a great example of somone realising what a difference application can make. Showed glimpses of the talent he had when he 1st got here but it seemed to just click end of last season and he hasn't looked back. Pretty sure there's an interview somewhere that he says as much in and his work rate now is immense. Imagine if Jet had added that to his game. Imagine he worked as hard as JP or BR! Same goes for Tomlin, people will say you have to except that from those types of players but you don't - as JP shows that. 

4 hours ago, chipdawg said:

Like Andy Cole you mean..?! 

Archived