IGNORED

Sunderland v City - are we good for 3 pts?

reddogkev

20 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Big call to 'fancy us for the win' considering our injuries and overall context. It certainly isn't a game where 'anything other than a win is a disappointment'.

Yes, we beat Palace but two key players are out in Baker and Smith - potentially Reid too. Diedhiou is seemingly injured, Đurić isn't match fit, Paterson is coming back from illness - that's the spine of our team, two top scorers and leading assister either out of contention or not 100%. Add to that the fact we played in midweek whereas they had a rest.

We are capable of winning, but realistically draw would be a good result considering all those factors.

Draw at Sunderland? We've only won 5 out of 13. We need 3 points against struggling teams. 

I reckon we’ll win. I think our players will be brimming with confidence and will go for it. Injuries have eased off a touch and LJ has good options on the bench once more. We may see a similar game to Palace where we start slow but come back strongly in the second half.  

3-1 to City.

I remember going to Roker in 1977, a midweek game in our first season in Div 1, I remember it was freezing on a bone-hard pitch. They had been promoted with us the season before and both teams were struggling in the relegation scrap so it was a 'must not lose' fixture. I think they were bottom at the time and hadn't scored for several games. It was a scrappy encounter and just as we settled for a 0-0 when in stoppage time their striker took a swing at a bouncing ball from about 30 yards out and it went in off the bar so it was a bit of a disaster. So my message for tomorrow is go for the win, don't sit back and settle for a point or we might end up in Groundhog day.

52 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Personally, in most cases, I see a point away in this league as a positive. 

But Sunderland really are rank at home. Then again that means it’s got to turn at some point. 

I’m so confused! 

In summary, I won’t settle for anything less than 4 points. 

Now I'm confused!

You really have no idea how bad we are. Yes we scored 3 at Brentford last weekend, but we do have decent attacking options but defensively and central midfield we are appalling as Grayson just doesn't seem capable of getting anything out of what is available which in reality he should be. Oviedo, Kone, Wilson etc are surely decent at this level if motivated and played in the correct system.

I'd be very surprised if we won, it's been 10 month since a home win, expect a defeat and wouldn't be too surprised with a draw.

Have a safe trip North and hope to see some of you enjoying a pint in Sunderland pre match :drunk2:It's not Newcastle but it is decent.

All depends on Baker & Smith being fit to start for me. If they both are, then I see no reason why we could not get 3 points. If they both are not then I expect a defeat, if only one of them start I'll go a draw!

Not so worried about Pato being fit to start, or Reid. Personally I'd start Taylor and keep Reid on the bench if fit enough. Pato will surely at least be on the bench having had a little run out Tuesday.

On 26/10/2017 at 11:17, reddogkev said:

Looking ahead to the weekend, seems a tricky game to call as Sunderland are a bit of a mixed bag.  They are capable of scoring and conceding in equal measure.

They've drew their last 3, after being thumped by Ipswich 5-2, though I was quite surprised with their recent 3-3 Brentford draw - I would have tipped them to have lost that one.  Is this a game where anything other than a win is a disappointment?  With our contrasting places in the table, you'd have to fancy us for a win, although it could be said that a draw would still be a decent return.  Hoping that the fantastic Palace win can give the players confidence to shatter Sunderland and forget the lousy Burton and Leeds matches.

Is another Ipswich performance on the cards?

This one has "draw" written all over it....

Win would be nice but we have three points at Fulham up next!

Archived