IGNORED

Match Report - Poor 60 minutes then bossed it

Olé

48 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Ole,

Another insightful report - thanks from someone unable to get to games at the moment.

As a matter of interest, what do you think has changed so that since the break we seem to be slow to get going at the start of games?

I think today it was simply a case of starting with the wrong team.

it was understandable as both Smith and Đurić are only just back from injury but they made such a difference I think we'd have won more comfortably had they both started.

The decision to go with two small forwards left us without an out ball and Sunderland's back four were smart enough not to leave too many gaps behind them. With nobody to hold the ball up our midfield was forced to try tippy-tappy stuff in the wrong places and they gave the ball away a lot.

Đurić gave them a focal point up front and Smith the bite in midfield to let the other players get a grip on the game and play their fancy stuff where it could be effective.

Dan, I know just what you mean, but on the other hand

a) I think we started with two small players intending to keep it on the deck and play that intricate passing game. But I think the wind had more of an impact than was evident from our sheltered position high up in the rafters. Even when the ball went out for a throw in it was blowing around the pitch, so I think we (and Sunderland) found it very hard even on the deck

b) both Đurić and Smith coming back from injury weren't going to play a full 90 today. You could argue that bringing the, on when we did was the perfect timing and gave them maximum impact. Sunderland were looking pretty tired by the 75th minute while they were both still full of running.

When Smith came on, he changed the dynamic of how we played. We started to pass, move and run the ball at the Sunderland back line. Too many times in the first half we tried aerial balls to our small strikers. These would have been hard enough for them if it wasn’t windy as... 

When Djuric came on Bobby went to left mid and looked lost. A better team may have exploited this more. It looked like Johnson soon realised this and when Korey came on, our midfield looked more settled. O’Dowda switched to the left and was a constant threat.

Pack did make an amazing tackle when Sunderland were breaking.

If we attacked them the same way as we did in the last 30 mins for the whole game, we would have won comfortably 

Pack and smith play very well together. They take the pressure off each other. Smith is free to press higher up the pitch and play between their defence and midfield and pack can play deeper as smith is closing down the players higher up. Brownhill and pack don't get on. Pack was shouting at him because he was he was basically not doing what smith does. After being good v Leeds after the first 20 mins and palace, brownhill had a poor game today. He struggled to find a purple shirt and won very little second ball. I was relieved when he was moved to the wing and we looked much better. 

Has the problem, if it is one, been with Pato? Missing v Leeds and only on at the end v Palace (and looked under the weather still). He started yesterday but is he back up to speed yet? Many that were there yesterday say he was fairly anonymous. He strikes me as a player who just wants to play and perhaps he has overestimated his recovery and thinks he is fitter than he actually is.

I don`t think he`s fully over his illness yet and that is affecting his high energy game and the team`s performance as a whole. It`s the same with Korey too, we start more quickly with him starting.

Greetings Ole for a fair report from another London RED to another. 

Like your 9 for Joe ( he gets that every week now) and 8 for C'OD who was MoTM! 

Agree with Pack comments and you full praise as always for Lj. At Preston last season we agreed he had some learning to do and he has passed with flying colours

7 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Has the problem, if it is one, been with Pato? Missing v Leeds and only on at the end v Palace (and looked under the weather still). He started yesterday but is he back up to speed yet? Many that were there yesterday say he was fairly anonymous. He strikes me as a player who just wants to play and perhaps he has overestimated his recovery and thinks he is fitter than he actually is.

I don`t think he`s fully over his illness yet and that is affecting his high energy game and the team`s performance as a whole. It`s the same with Korey too, we start more quickly with him starting.

He sounded very ill so I am willing to give him more time to get back to full effectiveness. He did look shattered even with only 20 min against Palace. Needs to be fit soon though. Think he is possibly our most important player. 

Archived