IGNORED

International Break - Good or Bad Timing?

Edge1981

So we are now into the international break. Are we thinking this has come at a good time or bad time?

Positives - Some of those players still recovering (Djuric, Paterson, Baker and Taylor) have a greater chance of shaking off their injuries with some extra rest. 

A break for those not involved in international games after 6 games in the last 3 weeks. 

Opportunity for LJ to look at potential January signings  

We have almost two weeks to work on things for the Sheff Weds game.

Negatives - Potential for injuries to key players (Wright/O’Dowda) when we are already missing a few now. 

Momentum coming to a halt just when we’ve had such an unbelievable run.  

I guess I should look at it as a positive thing judging by my reasoning but can’t help thinking of the negatives. I think it’s just due to not having any City games for the next two weeks!! :grr:

Bit of both, chance for a few who have little injuries to recover and get back to full fitness but on the flip side, as you say, there’s the potential to lose key players who are playing. I don’t think it will have any impact on our momentum. Our next 3 games though will be a massive test. 2 grounds we’ve not been great at and Preston a team we’ve really struggled against recently. Hopefully we’ll have every player available (Pisano aside) 

2 minutes ago, Negan said:

Bit of both, chance for a few who have little injuries to recover and get back to full fitness but on the flip side, as you say, there’s the potential to lose key players who are playing. I don’t think it will have any impact on our momentum. Our next 3 games though will be a massive test. 2 grounds we’ve not been great at and Preston a team we’ve really struggled against recently. Hopefully we’ll have every player available (Pisano aside) 

Preston have been ravaged by injury too so I guess they have a chance for one or two to get back to fitness.

10 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Preston have been ravaged by injury too so I guess they have a chance for one or two to get back to fitness.

I think that it`s going to need more than a couple of weeks for that - most of them are out for months if not all season. If we think we`ve been unlucky we need to look at PNE to really see what unlucky is.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think that it`s going to need more than a couple of weeks for that - most of them are out for months if not all season. If we think we`ve been unlucky we need to look at PNE to really see what unlucky is.

Oh really? I only read somewhere (probably on here) that they had plenty of injuries. Wasn’t aware how long they were out for. 

The international break has come at just the right time.

The squad is stretched with injuries and fatigue so its a real chance to help get Baker, Duric, Pato Korey rested or over their niggles.

Playing a pressing game like we do this season requires an extremely fit squad and its the tiredness that will be our achillies heel if we're not careful

14 minutes ago, Swede said:

The international break has come at just the right time.

The squad is stretched with injuries and fatigue so its a real chance to help get Baker, Duric, Pato Korey rested or over their niggles.

Playing a pressing game like we do this season requires an extremely fit squad and its the tiredness that will be our achillies heel if we're not careful

Nice play on words there,Swede-wonder if our intensive pressing style in an already fast paced division may have its place in our injury situation this year??

International break good or bad.

Bad - we are on a good run and always a danger the break leads to loss of momentum ( see last November for proof)

Good - a chance to get some of our walking wounded back to full health and proper match fitness. We have a run of tough games coming up ( but aren't they all) and could do with our defence at full strength ( bar Eros) and Duric up front all available in view  Famara's enforced absence.

I think it's good. Like our high pressing game we seem to play well in intense bursts and these breaks, whilst breaking momentum, allow us some downtime. In short we need rest as we can't maintain this match after match. I'm sure the players will be given some time now with their families so expect to see them getting a bit of winter sun somewhere. We have also come through the last International break pretty successfully haven't we so psychologically we have put that fear of failure behind us after last season.

I can see the negatives of the break too. Our Internationals are playing and travelling, risk of injury and fatigue but being an International also seems to make them return with more experience. Other teams will be resting their players and patching up injuries too (big ask for Preston though). We got a lot of matches on their return, and not long after the Xmas period and January transfer window with perhaps heads being turned and the team strengthened. 

Reading the article about O'Dowda in the other thread, he was talking about how working with the Irish coaches had really helped bring on his game, stuff about best utilizing his pace, how to get a defender off balance and on his back foot, which is another positive that doesn't always get a mention. The experience of working with someone like Martin O'Neill as well as other Premier League players in the squad is so valuable for a younger player like him, and we've reaped the benefits of it this last month as that and the confidence booster of such a good performance against Moldova has seemed to take his game to another level.

We don't exactly have a huge number of Internationals within our squad to whom that applies, but again someone like Lloyd Kelly his time in the England set up will have been invaluable for his and our future.

3 hours ago, Neo said:

What is the deal with Famara?

I know it was bad and long term but never seen anything putting a time on the injury - sure there was and I just missed it - anybody know?

Johnson said 10-12 weeks out for Fam, just before Sunderland game I think. Mid January to early Feb seems about the time frame for him to return if his recovery goes well! 

As others have said, great timing. While we're in great form, we're running on empty fitness-wise, and we'll need all the respite we can get with the Christmas schedule and the Man Utd games coming up. Obviously there's a risk for internationals to get injured, but every club has that.

Archived