IGNORED

Does anything separate Bristol City from other football clubs?

ZiderEyed

I think as City fans we have to accept that we will almost never be known domestically, let alone internationally for our football. Therefore it is crucial that our club is something that sets it apart. We have a few things, purple and lime, as well as the flag day that make us a bit quirky, but certainly nothing special. 

I thought we were going to be the club to lead the charge for safe standing. I know it requires a change is law for it to be installed, but after we installed the trial seats before the AG renovation, I envisaged the club to be more vocal and publicly lobbying local MPs and the Government. Haven't heard a peep since. 

We could be a club, along with the likes of Huddersfield and Bradford, who lead the way in making ticket prices reasonable again. But we don't. 

We could be a club that wants to create amazing atmospheres every week, but we don't. We sing when we're winning and sit in silence when we're losing like everyone else. That said we have a small core of fans (I'm not one of them) who work very hard to create an atmosphere. With a little more help, from other fans and the club, the atmosphere could be great.

We could be something special, and truly unique, but I feel the powers that be are so focused on Premier League football that they forget that there is so much more to a football club than the football. If I were to say Dortmund, most people would immediately think of the yellow wall, not the team. Galatasaray  and you think of 'welcome to hell'. Boca Juniors or River Plate an most will think of the colour, ticker tape and confetti. 

We could be the joker in the pack of English football that may never achieve great success on the pitch, but are the subject of great envy, by even the biggest clubs, for what our club represents. 

49 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Biggest club, in terms of historical status i.e. average league position, attendances etc. to have NEVER won a major trophy. :grr:

*edit if we could beat Manchester in the 1/4 final this would be a close as we've got (matching 71 and 89) apart from the 1909 FA Cup Final

I believe that this is correct but if anyone knows different, I'll be pleased to know.

City and Rovers were the first League clubs from a city or town other than London to be relegated from the same division (Div2) in the same season (1981).

They were also  the first League clubs from the same town or city to be automatically promoted from the same division (third tier) in the same season (1990). 

41 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

the ability for its fans to go off topic with witty/obscure/unfunny/funny (delete as appropriate) puns 

I can't say I've ever noticed this Monkeh.

I think you are just fishing for a bite to be honest. :whistle:

I consider most other fans to see us as perhaps not a proper football club, but a sort of 'posh' guest at a working mans club, we don't have a history of strife or great players, well apart from one stand out, but even then many other fans would say 'who?  Our location doesn't 'help' and being a Rugby area too. Very much a small club, that is doing OK at the moment. A bit like Fulham. 

1 minute ago, 1bristolcity said:

I consider most other fans to see us as perhaps not a proper football club, but a sort of 'posh' guest at a working mans club, we don't have a history or strife great players, well apart from one stand out, but even then many other fans would say 'who?  Our location doesn't 'help' and being a Rugby area too. Very much a small club, that is doing OK at the moment. A bit like Fulham. 

no, no they don', about as far from that as possible, most other fans see us a carrot munching farmers not a posh working mans club

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Biggest?  That old chestnut!  How do you quantify? Preston might argue that.

Personally I define the size of the club by the size of the fanbase.  Preston average 12k at home this season and the attendance at their play off final v Swindon a couple of years ago was 48k.  We took almost that number on our own for the JPT final, a less prestigious game.  Granted Preston have a decent heritage but I think it's difficult to make an argument that they are a bigger club than us.

I would say City are now quite comfortably the biggest club never to have played Premier League football.  I'm struggling to think of any club with the potential to take 45k to Wembley that hasn't played in the PL.  Indeed on that basis there are numerous clubs a lot smaller than us who have made it.

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I think as City fans we have to accept that we will almost never be known domestically, let alone internationally for our football. Therefore it is crucial that our club is something that sets it apart. We have a few things, purple and lime, as well as the flag day that make us a bit quirky, but certainly nothing special. 

I thought we were going to be the club to lead the charge for safe standing. I know it requires a change is law for it to be installed, but after we installed the trial seats before the AG renovation, I envisaged the club to be more vocal and publicly lobbying local MPs and the Government. Haven't heard a peep since. 

We could be a club, along with the likes of Huddersfield and Bradford, who lead the way in making ticket prices reasonable again. But we don't. 

We could be a club that wants to create amazing atmospheres every week, but we don't. We sing when we're winning and sit in silence when we're losing like everyone else. That said we have a small core of fans (I'm not one of them) who work very hard to create an atmosphere. With a little more help, from other fans and the club, the atmosphere could be great.

We could be something special, and truly unique, but I feel the powers that be are so focused on Premier League football that they forget that there is so much more to a football club than the football. If I were to say Dortmund, most people would immediately think of the yellow wall, not the team. Galatasaray  and you think of 'welcome to hell'. Boca Juniors or River Plate an most will think of the colour, ticker tape and confetti. 

We could be the joker in the pack of English football that may never achieve great success on the pitch, but are the subject of great envy, by even the biggest clubs, for what our club represents. 

What a post. :clap:

14 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

I was thinking about this today, it's a little bit depressing, but what actually sets us apart from other football clubs?

I am sure this has been mentioned already because it is so obvious; it is the only football club where you can stand inside the ground and see, unquestionably, the most beautiful bridge in the world.

29 minutes ago, solihull cider red said:

Sorry guys :mf_sleep:

Learn something new every day mate.  It's a bizarre quirk of British history and tradition and frankly makes no sense at all.  I only learned the distinction through working in a job that touched on medical practice. 

Now you've learned it because you posted on a football forum about a player's dad operating on the player's manager's dad.

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

There is the possibility that BCFC via Bristol Sport become a polar opposite of what you perceive to be a unique football club.

Hope, a positive. Situations can always change. An example would be land at Ashton Vale which could be used to provide the Community Trust with facilities to create a FC, with a C being the community as part of its fundamental principles v one of the less than focussed pillars.

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

There is the possibility that BCFC via Bristol Sport become a polar opposite of what you perceive to be a unique football club.

Hope, a positive. Situations can always change. An example would be land at Ashton Vale which could be used to provide the Community Trust with facilities to create a FC, with a C being the community as part of its fundamental principles v one of the less than focussed pillars.

That land is nether the clubs nore Bristol Sport's, It's steven Lansdowns and he can do anything he wishes with it, it's not as if he'll get planning permission for it

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

I consider most other fans to see us as perhaps not a proper football club, but a sort of 'posh' guest at a working mans club, we don't have a history of strife or great players, well apart from one stand out, but even then many other fans would say 'who?  Our location doesn't 'help' and being a Rugby area too. Very much a small club, that is doing OK at the moment. A bit like Fulham. 

Now I know that this is a long held urban myth but it's also quite amusing to see on the Bristol Rugby forum that they believe quite the reverse; that Bristol is traditionally dominated by football and that is to their detriment. 

Maybe the truth is that neither are right and we just need an "alternative fact" as a scapegoat to help us all sleep at night! 

Archived