IGNORED

Ricky Ponting

StapleHillPhil

From thisisbristol.com

AUSSIE ACE RICKY JETS IN FOR SOMERSET DEBUT

Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

11:00 - 15 July 2004

Ricky Ponting's long-awaited spell with Somerset is expected to begin with tonight's Twenty20 Cup match against Northamptonshire at Taunton. And, with England star Marcus Trescothick also in the line-up, the County Ground is sure to be packed, even though neither team is poised to reach the quarter-finals of the competition.

Ponting was due at Heathrow Airport in the early hours of this morning. He was scehduled to be met by his Tasmania team-mate Jamie Cox, who is stepping aside to make way for him in Somerset's team.

They were then set to drive to Taunton in time for Australia's captain to prepare for his debut.

Somerset anticipate a 6,000-plus crowd this evening. Trescothick has been given permission by England to play as part of his build-up to the Test Series against West Indies, starting at Lord's next Thursday.

He and Ponting may well open the batting as Somerset look to build on Tuesday's victory over Worcestershire, their first in four group matches.

Skipper Mike Burns said: "We are delighted to welcome Ricky on the back of a win and, hopefully, he and Marcus will help ensure another positive result.

"I feel things are starting to come together. A lot of our younger players are beginning to prove themselves and they now have a great opportunity to watch and learn from Ricky."

One of those younger players, Matt Wood, has to make way for Trescothick tonight, while Ponting takes over from Cox in the only other change from the Worcestershire game.

Burns admitted: "I feel for Matt because he has done really well for us lately and his fielding alone on Tuesday night should have been enough to keep him in the side.

"I've had a chat with him and explained the position. England want Marcus to have a game and it's not a bad player to be bringing in, but Woody can consider himself very unfortunate in the circumstances."

Guest East End Pillar 3

KNR did you enjoy the twenty20 against Glos? Got to say with Ponting here and Tresco now back it came a week too late.

I know we got a rain abandonded draw (and I thought we should have posted a higher total than we did) but I think we could have won it if they'd played.

KNR did you enjoy the twenty20 against Glos? Got to say with Ponting here and Tresco now back it came a week too late.

I know we got a rain abandonded draw (and I thought we should have posted a higher total than we did) but I think we could have won it if they'd played.

No chance Gloucestershire would on win easily. Somerset to be honest don't really have the bowlers that defend scores. Against Glamorgan for example.

I had a bit of a nightmare in the traffic on Glos Rd and only managed to see the final 5 overs whilst standing in the rain.

My biggest surprise was in the state of the ground. How on earth are they allowed to play internationals there? Whilst Taunton may not have a huge capacity its certainly a damn site more pleasant on the eye!

By far the highlight of my visit was the performance of the Jazz band in the Old Duke in the evening. They were called something along the lines of 'Keith Littles Hot Six' and had the place buzzing.

Scummerset  :Sleep12:

Is that the standard level of intellect at UWE?

Guest East End Pillar 3

Got to agree with you there KNR,state of the ground is awful. What is it about teams in the Horfield area of Bristol. Both play in blue and both grounds are cr@p.

Also, CITYRGR8, perhaps the reason our bowling attack isn't all it should be at the moment is because our best bolwer is injured, having played constantly for his country (ahead of his county) over the last 10 years or so.

This is something our squad as a whole has suffered from recently with England call ups (Tresco, Blackwell, Johnson, Caddick), but not something Glos fans have had to worry about.

Also, CITYRGR8, perhaps the reason our bowling attack isn't all it should be at the moment is because our best bolwer is injured, having played constantly for his country (ahead of his county) over the last 10 years or so.

This is something our squad as a whole has suffered from recently with England call ups (Tresco, Blackwell, Johnson, Caddick), but not something Glos fans have had to worry about.

Now now I'm actually from somerset and I would always like them to win but Gloucestershire are my team and I would always want them to win.

'This is something our squad as a whole has suffered from recently with England call ups (Tresco, Blackwell, Johnson, Caddick), but not something Glos fans have had to worry about.'

Ah well, not our problem if England try their level best not to include anyone, we'll just carry on winning trophies, something you won't be doing this year, as in previous years.:D

You must be pleased with your 'improved' performances in both the County Championship and the 1-day league, however :P

Archived