IGNORED

Joe Bryan - from strength to strength

CyderInACan

1 minute ago, hoxton casual said:

my brother isnt good on detail. Can you name the five? Doherty, Carey, Hill, ...

Depends who played with who though and who you call local. Was big John local even though he was from Wiltshire. Or Rob Newman?

Early eighties would probably be the best shout when we had to play the kids. Rob Newman, Paul Stevens, Gary Williams, Wayne Bray and the rest. We could well have got to eight then I reckon.

The trouble is, these days I struggle to remember who played when and with who!

19 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Never doubted him. Was it really that hard to see how good he would become. He was far from perfect last season, but couldnt quite believe what I was reading, seeing all the comments about him at the end of last season. 

In fairness, even Joe , himself, admitted that he hadn't had the best of seasons last campaign.

40 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Not sure millions watch Championship football on the telly, but more importantly all the PL scouts will be.....

Imagine a team of 11 local boys of the character and skill of Bobby and Joe. My brother was reminiscing about City sides that had 8 local lads in the team. Is that true and if so which year was that?

When we were bottom of the line old 4th, felt like we had eleven from the local secondary schools at times.

1 hour ago, hoxton casual said:

Not sure millions watch Championship football on the telly, but more importantly all the PL scouts will be.....

Imagine a team of 11 local boys of the character and skill of Bobby and Joe. My brother was reminiscing about City sides that had 8 local lads in the team. Is that true and if so which year was that?

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Depends who played with who though and who you call local. Was big John local even though he was from Wiltshire. Or Rob Newman?

Early eighties would probably be the best shout when we had to play the kids. Rob Newman, Paul Stevens, Gary Williams, Wayne Bray and the rest. We could well have got to eight then I reckon.

1982 for sure... August 28th to be precise. Here's two more for your list.. Jon Economou and Russell Musker .. These were all academy or reserve players but not all Bristolians. That first game in Division 4 incidentally was against Hull City with Terry Cooper in charge. I cannot remember the score but I was for sure in attendance. It felt like a new dawn and a weight of debt had finally been lifted.

8 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I doubt it. Those who slagged him off, clearly didn't / don't have any clue about recognising a quality footballer and person.

City's academy coaches raved about Joe Bryan. "Just wait, this is the one ..." was the gist of what they were saying.

I think the constant criticism of Joe Bryan stems from an inability to understand that modern football necessitates players have differing skills now. Footballer first in virtually every position is the primary requirement. That Bristol City have produced a player of such high technical ability is also a credit to the academy, an academy that has also been relentlessly criticised probably by similar as a waste of money. Add Bobby Reid and both positions have been proven to be comic.

2 hours ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Progression is what it is all about, if a Prem team come in during January with the right offer then he should go with our blessIng, step up Lloyd Kelly and on we go.

You've got to do right by the player too, if he gets even better and we can't get promoted then we should allow him to go if he wants to.

6 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I know exactly what you mean

the other day I was reminiscing Maynard and Atyeo up top! What a partnership that was :fear:

On 12/3/2017 at 16:27, hoxton casual said:

Phillips, Coles, Hill, Carey, Doherty, Brown, Rosenior, er, Scotty Murray...?

Other clubs manage to tell people to get knotted when they go sniffing around their players and we are in a strong position to do so. I wouldn’t want to stand in a players way if they have shown loyalty and stuck with us though bad times, for them like us it must have been hard to keep the faith at times.

I think now we have removed negative influences and strengthened the coaching staff we are very much a together team and have a Cott’s like belief. Joe and Bobby and a core of others have matured this season. Why would they be tempted away when it’s on a plate for them here, they have been part of the ‘project’ for so long, as have players like Flint, Frankie, Korey and Pack, except for £££ why would they jump ship? 

14 minutes ago, RedM said:

Other clubs manage to tell people to get knotted when they go sniffing around their players and we are in a strong position to do so. I wouldn’t want to stand in a players way if they have shown loyalty and stuck with us though bad times, for them like us it must have been hard to keep the faith at times.

I think now we have removed negative influences and strengthened the coaching staff we are very much a together team and have a Cott’s like belief. Joe and Bobby and a core of others have matured this season. Why would they be tempted away when it’s on a plate for them here, they have been part of the ‘project’ for so long, as have players like Flint, Frankie, Korey and Pack, except for £££ why would they jump ship? 

Exactly, they'd be foolish to leave now (in January especially)

18 minutes ago, RedM said:

There's your answer - not for everyone maybe but a move to a team only 4 or 5 places above us could help you on the way to financial security in a career that can be finished in the blink of an eye. It may be somewhat different for Joe & Bobby as local boys and fans, but the reality of it is is that this is just a job for most players. The new deals that are being thrashed out must be looking at substantial remunerative uplifts to compete with deals that could be offered elsewhere.  

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

There's your answer - not for everyone maybe but a move to a team only 4 or 5 places above us could help you on the way to financial security in a career that can be finished in the blink of an eye. It may be somewhat different for Joe & Bobby as local boys and fans, but the reality of it is is that this is just a job for most players. The new deals that are being thrashed out must be looking at substantial remunerative uplifts to compete with deals that could be offered elsewhere.  

I do understand that money is a factor, but I don’t think they are poorly paid by here. The players we have been discissing are popular first team regulars, who play when fit. Would they want to move and possibly be benched, or move and have a huge responsibility that comes with a hefty price tag to fulfill? They have almost unheard of security managerial wise here, they could move and their manager sacked and left unfancied by the next bloke.

Whilst things are looking good and they are getting playing time I don’t think anyone will be looking to leave, and why would we want to sell. If the player is an important part of how we have got to our league position, why disrupt it, especially with our injuries. We would only have to find a like for like player (and cheaper or there would be no point selling) and have to settle them in. 

Stick to what we have got, see if we can attract some quality, as if we can’t now we never will, and push on. I don’t want to be sat thinking ‘what if’ in a few months time.

49 minutes ago, RedM said:

I do understand that money is a factor, but I don’t think they are poorly paid by here. The players we have been discissing are popular first team regulars, who play when fit. Would they want to move and possibly be benched, or move and have a huge responsibility that comes with a hefty price tag to fulfill? They have almost unheard of security managerial wise here, they could move and their manager sacked and left unfancied by the next bloke.

Whilst things are looking good and they are getting playing time I don’t think anyone will be looking to leave, and why would we want to sell. If the player is an important part of how we have got to our league position, why disrupt it, especially with our injuries. We would only have to find a like for like player (and cheaper or there would be no point selling) and have to settle them in. 

Stick to what we have got, see if we can attract some quality, as if we can’t now we never will, and push on. I don’t want to be sat thinking ‘what if’ in a few months time.

I agree with all of that - I'm just playing devil's advocate really. We are incredibly fortunate that JB & BR are Bristol lads and have been with the club for years and years; but I guess you could never rule out a big club coming in for either of them. And the sort of wages that could be on offer might buy-off all the positives you describe. 

6 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I agree with all of that - I'm just playing devil's advocate really. We are incredibly fortunate that JB & BR are Bristol lads and have been with the club for years and years; but I guess you could never rule out a big club coming in for either of them. And the sort of wages that could be on offer might buy-off all the positives you describe. 

Yup, never say never. Funny old game football and all it’s trappings.

Watching a few rounds of the FA cup and lower league games on tv has made me recently realise how many of our ex players or ex loans we have in those teams. Almost every match I’ve seen has some sort of connection though a player or manager. We have a few ex players in the Championship now but most seem to leave and go onto lesser rather than greater things. I’m sure my interest in the Premiership should be more if we had ‘one of ours’ to look out for, although of course I hope we can keep this team together and one day experience it for ourselves. That said though many teams fans have said its not all its cracked up to be and enjoy the Championship more.

3 hours ago, RedM said:

There is challenge. To improve further Joe Bryan has to train and play with better. His development can only be hindered by not doing so if he has opportunity. His development would also be challenged if he moved and did not play. If somebody does really want him at a higher level he will have to be mindful his peak (physically it is now more or less) as a player is only seasons away and will BCFC provide the same realistic opportunity.

A dispassionate view away from the shrill he is lazy and uncommitted is that he was a truly talented player in danger last season of stagnating in a poor team.

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

Yup, never say never. Funny old game football and all it’s trappings.

Watching a few rounds of the FA cup and lower league games on tv has made me recently realise how many of our ex players or ex loans we have in those teams. Almost every match I’ve seen has some sort of connection though a player or manager. We have a few ex players in the Championship now but most seem to leave and go onto lesser rather than greater things. I’m sure my interest in the Premiership should be more if we had ‘one of ours’ to look out for, although of course I hope we can keep this team together and one day experience it for ourselves. That said though many teams fans have said its not all its cracked up to be and enjoy the Championship more.

I am already mentally preparing the lovely Mrs Isewater for a new more flexible timetable in readiness for next season's  Sky dominated kick off times.

I will miss 3 pm Saturday matchdays . Already with our form this year the poor love is confuddled. 

Thinks I've got another woman on the go .

l:laughcont:

Archived