IGNORED

Who was your MOTM

Fordy62

7 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Genuinely they were all immense last night part from Magnussen. One of my mates reckons it could be his last game. My Men of the Match, because of the the level they achieved, was Pack and Smith. I was not sure I was going to see them play again together but excellent.

I don’t get the constant criticism of Magnússon.  Not having a go at you per se, but it seems that he is tarred by the poor performances during the bad run last season and adjustment to playing again this season.

I’m not saying he was brilliant last night, but he was steady and dependable.  Did Baker have to exert himself much last night to cover a woeful performance from our left back? No.  You could argue Baker had a quiet night because Mags was tidy enough in defence.  I don’t see people moaning that Bailey Wright got done a couple of times by Traore first half, and got caught wrong side a couple of times too.  No, his rating will be based on a crunching tackle and a wonder cross on the run for our first goal. Mags was tidy in possession, worked well with Joe, against both Traore and Downing.  Yes, Downing did him once, but as LB performances go, it was not one to be critical of.  He won his headers (often criticised for), until Gestede came on and he got caught trying to mark his winger and the movement of Gestede into his space.  Tactically it wasn’t a problem if Gestede won, because Baker was well positioned.  No point Baker dragging himself into the aerial battle.  Mags won a couple, and they picked up no second balls off of the ones Gestede won.  Good coordination by Baker and Mags.

The own goal was unfortunate, just skimming (was it?) Assombolonga’s head, leaving him a split second to react.  Good header mind! :P

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t get the constant criticism of Magnússon.  Not having a go at you per se, but it seems that he is tarred by the poor performances during the bad run last season and adjustment to playing again this season.

I’m not saying he was brilliant last night, but he was steady and dependable.  Did Baker have to exert himself much last night to cover a woeful performance from our left back? No.  You could argue Baker had a quiet night because Mags was tidy enough in defence.  I don’t see people moaning that Bailey Wright got done a couple of times by Traore first half, and got caught wrong side a couple of times too.  No, his rating will be based on a crunching tackle and a wonder cross on the run for our first goal. Mags was tidy in possession, worked well with Joe, against both Traore and Downing.  Yes, Downing did him once, but as LB performances go, it was not one to be critical of.  He won his headers (often criticised for), until Gestede came on and he got caught trying to mark his winger and the movement of Gestede into his space.  Tactically it wasn’t a problem if Gestede won, because Baker was well positioned.  No point Baker dragging himself into the aerial battle.  Mags won a couple, and they picked up no second balls off of the ones Gestede won.  Good coordination by Baker and Mags.

The own goal was unfortunate, just skimming (was it?) Assombolonga’s head, leaving him a split second to react.  Good header mind! :P

Dave I agree with you. I was suprised he got such a slating from my mate. He is not usually that type.  I agree that Wright got done a couple of times. I thought Mags' positioning was good in the triangle of Bryan and Baker and he generally pick up the right person/space. His distribution was generally good.

Archived