IGNORED

Last Season's PL Relegated Clubs

Swede

I, like many other City fans let out a collective groan when it became clear the three Premier League relegated clubs would be Hull, Sunderland & Middlesborough.

Who would have predicted three out of three victories. Absolutely phenominal and a measure of how much progress we've made.

Or how far they have regressed.

I often think that the limited number of promotion/relegation places can mask this. I mean, actual teams and form can change rapidly, but if a PL club finished 17th, they have another 12 months there, whether or not their team is actually worse than the top half dozen Championship teams. Promotion/relegation is actually a filter that stops us knowing whether the bottom half of one division is stronger than the top half of the one below.

I may not have explained that too well, but I know what I mean! For example, Sunderland may actually have been weak in Championship terms for a couple of years before being relegated. 

28 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Or how far they have regressed.

I often think that the limited number of promotion/relegation places can mask this. I mean, actual teams and form can change rapidly, but if a PL club finished 17th, they have another 12 months there, whether or not their team is actually worse than the top half dozen Championship teams. Promotion/relegation is actually a filter that stops us knowing whether the bottom half of one division is stronger than the top half of the one below.

I may not have explained that too well, but I know what I mean! For example, Sunderland may actually have been weak in Championship terms for a couple of years before being relegated. 

That makes sense and I agree :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, Swede said:

I, like many other City fans let out a collective groan when it became clear the three Premier League relegated clubs would be Hull, Sunderland & Middlesborough.

Who would have predicted three out of three victories. Absolutely phenominal and a measure of how much progress we've made.

It was pointed out last season to the "what do you expect?/we can't compete with parachute payments" chorus that not every relegated club is a "Newcastle" ie inevitably going to bounce straight back up. Sometimes, relegated clubs are a complete mess, in disarray, and absolutely can be competed with, and got the better of. As Huddersfield, and Blackpool, and Cardiff, and Swansea and Reading, and other minnows have shown before.

It's no great surprise that Sunderland are not in the hunt for promotion, as things stand, I do not think.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

It was pointed out last season to the "what do you expect?/we can't compete with parachute payments" chorus that not every relegated club is a "Newcastle" ie inevitably going to bounce straight back up. Sometimes, relegated clubs are a complete mess, in disarray, and absolutely can be competed with, and got the better of. As Huddersfield, and Blackpool, and Cardiff, and Swansea and Reading, and other minnows have shown before.

It's no great surprise that Sunderland are not in the hunt for promotion, as things stand, I do not think.

Quite right.  It was the same with Villa; a mess internally and on the pitch and so relegated and did not bounce back.  Hull and Sunderland were both in a mess and are struggling.

I am not sure the teams at the bottom of the PL this season are in a similar state and so promotion from the Championship next season may be harder than this season.

Sunderland have been almost a Championship team for about 5 years - it must have been toxic being a fan during that time. Imagine if we'd had last season repeated 4 times over, nearly getting relegated but pretty much fluking a way out every time, with the board not doing anything to change the actual infrastructure of the club, but just firing the manager in December every year?

31 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Quite right.  It was the same with Villa; a mess internally and on the pitch and so relegated and did not bounce back.  Hull and Sunderland were both in a mess and are struggling.

I am not sure the teams at the bottom of the PL this season are in a similar state and so promotion from the Championship next season may be harder than this season.

Won't be a problem for us then? :P

Archived