IGNORED

Games against 2017 premier league teams

North London Red

So, Saturday's win now means that City have won 8 games in 2017 against teams who've played in the premier league in 2017 (Watford, Stoke, Palace, Huddersfield, Brighton, Sunderland, Hull and Middlesbrough). It could easily have been 9 if we'd held on to our lead at Newcastle, and it may yet get to 9 if we can upset Manchester United in a couple of weeks.

That's a remarkable statistic. I know some of the league cup wins were against slightly weakened opposition, but does it suggest that if we somehow do manage to go up this season, the gap between where we are now and being able to compete at the top table (and have a reasonable chance of survival) may not be as huge as some think?  

An interesting and creditable stat. I think the gap is huge, but we are certainly making strides towards reducing it! 

Of course, if we were to be competing at that level, by rights, then we’d have the opportunity to spend at the levels that these clubs do and, in turn, be stronger ourselves.

Surviving there is a very difficult task, but it’s possible, as Burnley, Watford & Bournemouth, recently, and the likes of Stoke, Swansea, Palace & West Brom have shown over longer periods. 

You do of course then have the examples of Wigan, Portsmouth Blackburn and others to demonstrate that it’s not easy, but it seems that being a yo-yo club for a period is a sound way to build, improve and naturally grow into the eventual consolidation at that level. 

The key is getting there for that first crack at it..!

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

An interesting and creditable stat. I think the gap is huge, but we are certainly making strides towards reducing it! 

Of course, if we were to be competing at that level, by rights, then we’d have the opportunity to spend at the levels that these clubs do and, in turn, be stronger ourselves.

Surviving there is a very difficult task, but it’s possible, as Burnley, Watford & Bournemouth, recently, and the likes of Stoke, Swansea, Palace & West Brom have shown over longer periods. 

You do of course then have the examples of Wigan, Portsmouth Blackburn and others to demonstrate that it’s not easy, but it seems that being a yo-yo club for a period is a sound way to build, improve and naturally grow into the eventual consolidation at that level. 

The key is getting there for that first crack at it..!

I think the gap between bottom of the Prem and top of the Championship is pretty small at the moment.

We have seen Hull, Sunderland and Villa come down in the last 2 seasons and struggle, though Villa got going eventually and had a pretty dull season last year.

Norwich since relegation have just been a decent Championship side.

Newcastle are the only one of the last 6 relegated sides to be a stand out team in their first season down, though Boro might compete for the playoffs and thats after spending a fortune.

It's cost Villa a fortune to assemble a side to challenge for the playoffs as well and they still seem to be relying on one player to carry them.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think the gap between bottom of the Prem and top of the Championship is pretty small at the moment.

We have seen Hull, Sunderland and Villa come down in the last 2 seasons and struggle, though Villa got going eventually and had a pretty dull season last year.

Norwich since relegation have just been a decent Championship side.

Newcastle are the only one of the last 6 relegated sides to be a stand out team in their first season down, though Boro might compete for the playoffs and thats after spending a fortune.

It's cost Villa a fortune to assemble a side to challenge for the playoffs as well and they still seem to be relying on one player to carry them.

True, but it’s always hard to compare, as relegated teams usually lose their best players. 

Top champ V bottom Prem clubs, the difference can often be just the confidence and belief, but that’s hard to actually test, unless the cup throws up fixtures whilst those clubs are in situ. 

4 hours ago, North London Red said:

So, Saturday's win now means that City have won 8 games in 2017 against teams who've played in the premier league in 2017 (Watford, Stoke, Palace, Huddersfield, Brighton, Sunderland, Hull and Middlesbrough). It could easily have been 9 if we'd held on to our lead at Newcastle, and it may yet get to 9 if we can upset Manchester United in a couple of weeks.

That's a remarkable statistic. I know some of the league cup wins were against slightly weakened opposition, but does it suggest that if we somehow do manage to go up this season, the gap between where we are now and being able to compete at the top table (and have a reasonable chance of survival) may not be as huge as some think?  

We also played ' slightly weakened ' teams against those Prem sides.

I just hope that, if we do ever go up, we don't suddenly change the current transfer policy and start throwing silly money at older, established, players. I would much rather be spending on the next Brownhill, O'Dowda etc than someone like John Terry who was just looking for his final payday, despite being a big name.

13 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I just hope that, if we do ever go up, we don't suddenly change the current transfer policy and start throwing silly money at older, established, players. I would much rather be spending on the next Brownhill, O'Dowda etc than someone like John Terry who was just looking for his final payday, despite being a big name.

I don`t think (or hope) we would do that, the philosophy of what we`re doing now is just too ingrained from top to bottom now to change so dramatically.

13 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Financially we wouldn't be much better off due to the higher wages and transfer fees. Yes you get a huge windfall but just look at the likes of Swansea and Burnley, barely have any money between them.

We would need to continue down the path we are cos even with all that prem money it would soon get swallowed up. 

Hopefully with a higher profile we will be able to attract higher quality younger players.

Archived