IGNORED

Will we lose Brownhill?

santibello

23 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

We haven’t seen a 25+ goal striker at this level move for 20m yet, Brownhill would have to literally be one of the best midfielders in the world to command that sort of fee.

Whilst I like him a lot, he’s realistically never going to be in that category! 

not quite but assombalonga went for 17 million this season neves a midfielder signed by wolves for 16 million  Jordan Rhodes 10 million Braithwrate 10 million 

12 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

the club has confirm he has it, Mark Ashton said so in an interview

Not so sure of this. 

I've watched that interview, and he just mentioned we're not set to lose any key players this summer didn't he? No mention of Josh Brownhill exactly, whilst I'd certainly hope there is a one year option, it wasn't mentioned at the time of him signing. (Watched it a while back so correct me if wrong) 

With Reid & Bryan, every time they sign an extension it's usually mentioned that there's also a year option. Was also mentioned with Fielding's extension last week. 

I always forget how young Brownhill is. He's class and I reckon he's our best centre midfielder, this time last season I had no idea what Johnson saw in him. Happily proved wrong, just hope we can keep him for another few years. 

13 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

not quite but assombalonga went for 17 million this season neves a midfielder signed by wolves for 16 million  Jordan Rhodes 10 million Braithwrate 10 million 

And Neves is in a different league to JB. So there’d have to be an enormous change in the market for JB to ever be a £50m player. 

This is not a dig at JB - I like him a lot - but he’s not even the best midfielder in the Championship let alone be showing the hallmarks of a world class player.

We do have a tendency to get a little carried away with regards our assessment of our own players!

57 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

And Neves is in a different league to JB. So there’d have to be an enormous change in the market for JB to ever be a £50m player. 

This is not a dig at JB - I like him a lot - but he’s not even the best midfielder in the Championship let alone be showing the hallmarks of a world class player.

We do have a tendency to get a little carried away with regards our assessment of our own players!

Disagree about there having to be a shift in the market even if 50m is probably too high a ceiling for Josh Brownhill in the future. Not many predicted Paulinho would go for 40-45m € a few years after Spurs sold him for 10. You probably would never have predicted at the time that Danny Rose would be worth 45-50m. Or Bolasie for 30m. You just never know what a player can be worth when he finds a club that he can excel at. 

21 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Disagree about there having to be a shift in the market even if 50m is probably too high a ceiling for Josh Brownhill in the future. Not many predicted Paulinho would go for 40-45m € a few years after Spurs sold him for 10. You probably would never have predicted at the time that Danny Rose would be worth 45-50m. Or Bolasie for 30m. You just never know what a player can be worth when he finds a club that he can excel at. 

Fair point! I’d love to see him excel at the top level and be proved wrong - especially if it’s with us!!

He's definitely improving and while 3 goals and 2 assists is much better than last year, he is nowhere near close to being in the Championship's most consistent midfielders. 

He continues to surprise me with how fast he is developing, but I suspect he has too little impact in the Championship games currently to warrant a silly money bid before his contract runs down. That is when we should worry.

Archived