IGNORED

"The game"s finished if you can't tackle like that anymore"

Port Said Red

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

To be brutally honest we shouldn't have won last night, we were totally out classed until the sending off. If Sheff United play like that every week then they are going to win far more than they lose. Some of their play was beautiful. 

Outclassed? No, we were off our game for sure. But what did they create other than the goal? I can remember 3 long range efforts which all missed the target (hit the woodwork), a good header from Sharp which Frank made a top save, other than that we looked comfortable with them.

I felt they had more pressure and you are right in saying based on pressure and use of the ball we did not deserve all 3 points but I certainly wasn't overly impressed with them. A typical Sheffield United side, hit the tackles hard, hit the long ball and look for knock downs and long shots. Maybe they had an off game too? 

1-2.

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

To be brutally honest we shouldn't have won last night, we were totally out classed until the sending off. If Sheff United play like that every week then they are going to win far more than they lose. Some of their play was beautiful. 

It reminded me of our 2 seasons ago when Cotts was in charge and we played the same system as them. We'd batter teams then they'd catch us on the break and grab the points. Wilder is a bit of a one-trick pony like Cotts was, he doesn't want to give up the system that gave them success in L1, but in the Championship it's more difficult to pull off unless you have 5 or 6 wing-back you can use in rotation, the energy levels required are too great to sustain for a whole season and opponents have better coaches to exploit the resulting gaps in defences.

Sheffield United are on a poor run. Their manager probably feels the need to protect his players and deflect blame from himself but in reality the sooner they face up to their weaknesses, the sooner they will start winning again. 

I thought they were a bit naive last night. Good football but poor decision making and they need to be more streetwise at Championship level. Steel city, talcum powder players.

2 hours ago, The turtle said:

It was a poor challenge, a red card. No doubt.  But they happen in football. I imagine he has apologised.

The most striking part for me was the fan's reaction to it.

Booing korey during the incident, And after the game.

That was pretty poor.

As an aside it's a shame football doesn't have a red card injury rule where the tackler has to miss as many games as the injured player.

If I'm being honest, at first I thought it was a good physical tackle. It wasn't until I saw the replay that I realised what a bad tackle it was. Fair play to the ref for seeing it TBH.

5 hours ago, BobbyC said:

I think this guy likes us ?.......................................................................

It's worth knowing a bit of the background over there. Rovers fans are by far the more knowledgeable and longer serving set of fans. They've been through much leaner times, but still turn out in big numbers home and away.

The Wurzels (lovingly named the 'Shit Heads' from the Rovers fans) are the more Sky TV loving, pseudo middle class types whereas the Gas Heads (as they're called by the Shit Heads') are the more down to earth, passionate and loyal type of fan.

Rovers have unfortunately been in the lower leagues for longer, but will absolutely dwarf the attendances of the Shit Heads when the roles are reversed. 

Which I'm certain will be in the next few seasons come to think of it... 

Don't forget that football ALWAYS goes in cycles thumbup.gif

What a load of rubbish!

And speaking of rubbish (and cycles)- I suggest Rovers should be re-cycled. But a turd will always be a turd.

What the hell is a "pseudo middle class type"?

I can only presume this guys got his "in-the-know" information from the Gas Guzzler.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

It reminded me of our 2 seasons ago when Cotts was in charge and we played the same system as them. We'd batter teams then they'd catch us on the break and grab the points. Wilder is a bit of a one-trick pony like Cotts was, he doesn't want to give up the system that gave them success in L1, but in the Championship it's more difficult to pull off unless you have 5 or 6 wing-back you can use in rotation, the energy levels required are too great to sustain for a whole season and opponents have better coaches to exploit the resulting gaps in defences.

To be fair it's worked pretty well for them up until the last 4 games. They aren't going down, will finish top half so a good season back in this league.

Archived