IGNORED

John Galley in the Supporters club tomorrow (Merged)

Dollymarie

9 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/galley-back-at-the-gate/

John Galley who played for both City and Forest will be in the Supporters Club and Trust bar after tomorrow’s game. Everyone welcome :) 

Great guy Dolly we invited him some years ago to seymours family club which was situated in the st phillips marsh area of Bristol.put him and his wife up for for the night at Arnos court Tony sheppard old supporters club chairman organised the do with Stoney Garnett.was overcome with emotion said he didnt realise how much he was adored by city fans last i heard john was involved as an agent  in insurance company in Nottingham give him my best wishes 

2 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Great guy Dolly we invited him some years ago to seymours family club which was situated in the st phillips marsh area of Bristol.put him and his wife up for for the night at Arnos court Tony sheppard old supporters club chairman organised the do with Stoney Garnett.was overcome with emotion said he didnt realise how much he was adored by city fans last i heard john was involved as an agent  in insurance company in Nottingham give him my best wishes 

John Galley is one of the few City players I can remember my old man really eulogising about. He must have been some player to have attracted such plaudits from so many fans from the same era. I however, have fond memories of Seymours (owned and run by Richard and Janice, IIRC) from when a group of us had a table there for The Wurzels supported by Fred Wedlock in the mid-90s. It was carnage but a friendly, West Country, kind of carnage. The buffet was amazing. Such simple times. 

Yes it was a great venue living nearby Barton Hill was a great place to take the kids when they were younger had some stars visit that club apart from the great john Galley.(Bernard Manning)etc Stoney done his party trick blew open the Evening post a puff of dust came out said the last time Bristol Rovers won a game :laugh: one of johns greatest goals i remember was a bullet header against Birmingham he headed one in harder than a lot of players could kick it

Been trying to put some television stats for the great man that he appeared in.

Not sure how many are available out there somewhere

11 jan 1969 home middlesbrough won 3-0 gally got 2 and one from gerry sharpe Harlech

12 april 1969 home Oxford won 2-0 Gally scored two harlech

23 aug 1969 home  lost 2-0 to cardiff Harlech

6 september 1969 home to preston 0-0 garland disallowed goal from sharpe pass BBC Barry davies

15 nov won 1969 2-0 home against QPR one each from  bush garland harlech

6 dec 1969 swindon away 1-1 own goal burrows harlech

28 february 1970 home 0-0 with leicester harlech

21 march 1970 home drew  3-3 swindon gally sharpe kellard PEN harlech

Love that picture of JG scoring ,should have shown it all though ,the keeper and the defender on their asses ,obviously the big man had put them there before putting the ball in the net ,that image used to be in the old club shop.

Anyone got that full pic ? cant find it anywhere 

3 hours ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

Was Seymour's used as the pub in the brilliant Teachers?

Yes. It was. And you're right - "Teachers" was amazing although the continuity was funny being a Bristolian, one minute Egg/Simon/Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) was cycling through Knowle West then he'd turn the corner and be in Clifton Village! 

Great series. 

On 15/12/2017 at 19:46, BristolNorthEndRed said:

Such great memories of that era. John Galley, Terry Bush, Mike Gibson, Dickie Rooks and so on.

Galley, Garland,Gibbo, Gow, Tainton,Kellard,Spiring, Ritchie, Fear, Merrick, Bush, Skirton, Bartley, etc, etc great times, proper footballers, proper games, proper grounds, I will never forget.

Archived