IGNORED

Hill To Stay

ali

I think matty loves this club more than the others that have left,i think he will sign,lets hope anyway

Where lacking defensive cover other wise.

but we have fortune&simpson i understand that simpson is one for the future,it looks very much that we will see the younger players this season.

I think matty loves this club more than the others that have left,i think he will sign,lets hope anyway

Where lacking defensive cover other wise.

but we have fortune&simpson i understand that simpson is one for the future,it looks very much that we will see the younger players this season.

I, for one, thought the same about Louis.

And he's gone.

Please Matty, stay for us, and if not them, then me *pray######

Guest Lockerman

Attack is the best form of defence.

If we are losing all of our defenders we will have to concentrate solely on attack, what better form of defence is there.. :D

Attack is the best form of defence.

Horse$hit. That "doesn't matter if we let in 3 as long as we score 4" mentality didn't work for Alex Ferguson so it won't work for us. You're forgetting that we relied on our attack that lasted from December to March on a high, then keeled over and died for a month; Yet the reason we were on that high for that amount of time was our defence (Hill + Coles + whoever), which from Dec to the end of Feb was *almost* second-to-none. If we lose Matty today -which we hopefully won't- then we will need cover. And Craig Woodman I certainly do NOT see as a worthy successor, as he is too inconsistent and likes to waver between good passes and wimpy marking. At least with Matty we could tell he was the drizzling $hits for his Rookie year but grew into it wonderfully, but with Woody the pressure will be to get the best results ASAP hence he'll need as much help as he can get.

i believe you ALi... great news!!

Ok, lemme get this straight Lockerman....

Here goes...

Last season we were a team that could not score goals but had the best defence - now in the space of 2 months we have changed our manager and now have taken on this we will score more goals than you mentality, after potentially losing 2 of our best defenders - even though we are playing a 3 man defence next season??

Well I'm soiling myself...

Guest simmos the gaffer

Perhaps we can use the money we are saving on Carey to ensure that Matty stays. If we lose another player then the likes of the Doc and Colesy may start getting restless. If we are looking to replace Carey and Matty then at least young defenders come cheaper then forwards!!!

Well, ali, you were right about Carey, dammit. Now would not be a good time to lose your golden predictive touch.

(BTW I don't know how these things work but if Carey's off, doesn't that give us a bit more leeway for offering Hill and even Brown more money? Not saying its necessarily desirable, just a thought!)

As for lockerman's comments, I dunno - two years ago we were scoring goals for fun and superb to watch, yet we finished third and got mugged in the playoffs. Last year we were solid defensively and a bit pants to watch, yet we finished third and got mugged in the playoffs. I reckon if we are going to suffer that end of season heartbreak anyway, we may as well have some decent football to watch while we're doing it. 5-4 or 1-0? I know which I'd rather watch ...

I hope your right , we need matty hill , at the moment (hill not included) we have 5 first team defenders in fortune , coles, butler, amankwaah and woodman who arent centre backs so they wouldnt fit into tinmans formation. We desperatley need another centre back for cover and a left midfielder , bell can do a job there but he isnt really suited to the position.

(BTW I don't know how these things work but if Carey's off, doesn't that give us a bit more leeway for offering Hill and even Brown more money? Not saying its necessarily desirable, just a thought!)

IMO I would think not. Yes there would be more "cash" available, but it appears to me that SL and the Board have introduced a more rigid wage structure, and they are not moving on certain pay issues. If they did then this could lead to resentment amoungst those players who have signed under this regime.

I would hope that we are now offering players contracts with a large performance related element, specifically one linked to promotion.

Wage capping comes into this Div next summer (I think?) so SL will be aware that should we have another year of failure the clubs wages will need to be under control.

Quite right too, the days of players holding clubs to ransom are on the way out. IMO.

Guest jamiebrisc

Does anyone actually know when the deadline is for matt hills contract discussions? Would be nice to know whether he is going to commit to city this season so that the lads can concentrate on preparing for the coming season

:D trust me you know it makes sense

i believe you ALi... great news!!

Ok, lemme get this straight Lockerman....

Here goes...

Last season we were a team that could not score goals but had the best defence - now in the space of 2 months we have changed our manager and now have taken on this we will score more goals than you mentality, after potentially losing 2 of our best defenders - even though we are playing a 3 man defence next season??

Well I'm soiling myself...

Archived