IGNORED

Woodrow

Luxo Jr.

I like this guy. Had a really decent half today, brought out some good knock-downs and linked up the play well, and was a key part of the leadup to the 2nd goal.

He just needs to be more selfish occasionally. I wouldn't start him if all our strikers were fit, but if he nabs a goal soon then I think he has quite a bit to offer our style of play.

• Admin

Amazing how differently I saw it. For me that final 20 mins consisted of the ball going his direction and emerging in the possession of a Reading player. I accept he worked hard but I am counting the days until Diedhiou returns when hopefully we don't have to cede so much possession to opponents  

I thought he didn't really suit our style of play. Considering he was the fresh legs, I didn't think he worked hard enough and a couple of times he just watched the play pass him by. 

That said, a couple of Wilbraham style moments of good hold up play and some decent hassling of defenders, so it wasn't all bad, just think he doesn't suit our high press high energy style.

1 minute ago, Chris_Brown said:

I thought he didn't really suit our style of play. Considering he was the fresh legs, I didn't think he worked hard enough and a couple of times he just watched the play pass him by. 

That said, a couple of Wilbraham style moments of good hold up play and some decent hassling of defenders, so it wasn't all bad, just think he doesn't suit our high press high energy style.

Agree, he was just trotting between defenders instead of really chasing them down. 

13 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

I just don't see it form him or Taylor. We need to strengthen the forward line and have Famara and Milan back. 

22 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

I like this guy. Had a really decent half today, brought out some good knock-downs and linked up the play well, and was a key part of the leadup to the 2nd goal.

He just needs to be more selfish occasionally. I wouldn't start him if all our strikers were fit, but if he nabs a goal soon then I think he has quite a bit to offer our style of play.

Yeah, he had a better first half when he was on the bench. 

I joke, I'm not a fan at all and thinks he needs sending back particularly with our top two ambitions. However, he was a little better today but equally he did not really have any chances to score or squander which is what he was judged by at QPR. 

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

I think he's just as effective at charging down as Diedhiou and Duric. Like I said, I wouldn't start him, but I thought his selfless play was good. Needs a little more of a striker's instinct.

It's not so much about charging down, any one of us could get on that pitch and chase someone if asked, we might die trying but we'd do that, we'd try. Djuric or Diedhiou give us a chance of hold up play which can make defending one goal leads far less nervy and hopefully more successful. (I get that we did actually defend the 1-0 and extend it today but Reading could easily have equalised had their finishing been better).

The table shows we are very hard to beat with just us and Wolves on 3 defeats. If we can turn more draws into wins we might start clawing back that gap to Wolves. Rumour has it Diedhiou is back in two weeks. :) 

Can't say I am at all surprised to read this as many have clearly made their mind up to slag him off no matter what he does.

I thought he improved us & added energy & gave us a focal point whereas the bloke he replaced was absolutely shocking, but that doesn't fit the narrative, does it?

I think he's had a bit of a difficult time here.

I have not been convinced by him and I think he's found it difficult to adjust to how LJ wants him to play.

I think today judging by his overall  positive performance it looks like he's buying into what we need.

He’s down the pecking order but thought he made good on decision to replace Taylor today. More of a physical presence. Lacking a bit of belief (bad miss vs QPR) - had a moment in the box where a more confident would have shot but he tried to find Read. We are short on numbers with a lot of games, he’s got a part to play. 

29 minutes ago, Ian M said:

So far, 4 posts in, we have established that he both worked hard and was a bit lazy. Held up the ball but often lost the ball. Both suited & didn't suit our style of play. Opinions hey? :laugh: 

Cauley "Marmite" Woodrow

Just like Matt Smith!

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Can't say I am at all surprised to read this as many have clearly made their mind up to slag him off no matter what he does.

I thought he improved us & added energy & gave us a focal point whereas the bloke he replaced was absolutely shocking, but that doesn't fit the narrative, does it?

Yep pretty much this. He is not close to out best strikers when all are fit but currently think he offers much more than Matty Taylor. He came in and changed the game. Gave us more of a target, ran the channels and was on the same wavelength as his team mates with quick flicks and one touch passing. Cauley is someone who will do lots of things well but nothing great. Because of that many will think he is useless when he is far from it. He should have played more since the Famara injury. 

Better today, given our first half often consisted of lumping balls forward with no output, Woodrow offered some presence upfront to control the ball from long balls. The complaints of standing around watching the game, Reid was doing the same. It appeared to be a clear tactic of keeping our shape, if one player goes to close down the guy on the ball then someone has to cover his space and pulls us out of shape, it was very much a case of trying to make Reading come at us or play long over us. 

I thought he showed some good close control when we were playing the one touch stuff on our right late on. Came out with the ball quite often and played some nice passes.

I`ve not seen the highlights yet but was it his shot that got palmed out to Lloyd?

As others have said, if he gets a run of games he will turn out alright IMO.

3 hours ago, cityexile said:

Bottom line, we are out of players. Just got to support everybody that LJ throws on at the moment.

Post of the day. We are on the bone of our asses. 

It's remarkable what we are doing. 

Lets just get behind them, we (as fans) could be the difference at the moment. The little bit of extra energy the boys need 

Archived