IGNORED

Is Ashton Gate big enough for top flight?

reddogkev

11 minutes ago, oriss said:

Hi

I hope I'm not being impertinent here, but can I give you a Boro fans perspective on the question. Back in the day when the Riverside was brand new we were averaging 33 34k a season, there were plans put forth for an increase in capacity to 42k at the time we could have filled this for the likes of sunderland the mags the usual top six or so. last season we averaged 30kplus but games against man city and united plus others could have been bigger gates if we had a greater capacity. this is all well and good, but clubs like boro and dare I say it city have bad times as well as good. when we dropped back down to the championship under southgate, and crowds dropped to 16 17k the ground looked empty. Imagine what it would have looked like in a 42k ground. Sometimes I think enjoy the good full times but don't get carried away, when those times end and your back to your more usual crowds the ground wont look ridiculous. We had 30k there the other day and the ground looked pretty full if we had had increased back in the day it would still have looked pretty naff. the likes of spurs and Chelsea can build 60k grounds because unless something drastic happens they have the fan bases to fill them. 

Was gonna post something along these lines. Looks awful when you say huge stadiums full of empty seats (think MK Dons and Coventry).

Putting the “right to light” argument to one side, there is room there to rebuild the Atyeo quite a bit bigger on the existing footprint.

The front of the stand, the seats are set back from the pitch quite a lot, so you could take space there. You could then build over the car park behind, and still maintain vehicle access underneath.

As others have said, I’d love the Atyeo to be rebuilt as a big single tier stand and make it a proper home end for Section 82. 

10 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

I mean during the rebuild.

If the existing structure was extended, we wouldn't have to move anyone as far as i can see. Build the extension behind the existing.

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

If we get there then immediately the Dolman should have boxes installed like was previously planned and then the Atyeo should also be knocked down and replaced with a stand that holds more boxes.

I don't think we can due to 'right to light' for the houses UTC.

3 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

That house is made from wood, americans builld houses differently.

Easier option

buy up the three houses or so behind Southstand, build new tier, join to Landsdown, buy/relocate bowls club too. Fill in Ayteo/Dolman corner, that would extend capacity to 32/35,000 depending on how high you build.

Ayteo issue can be settled when we are an established prem top 4 club- dream on!

7 minutes ago, adamski said:

Easier option

buy up the three houses or so behind Southstand, build new tier, join to Landsdown, buy/relocate bowls club too. Fill in Ayteo/Dolman corner, that would extend capacity to 32/35,000 depending on how high you build.

Ayteo issue can be settled when we are an established prem top 4 club- dream on!

I'm sure shedman would sell :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Any house ca be moved. Wood or brick.

Don't you want your house by the park getting rid of the traffic?

The house in your example is a timber framed wooden house BCS, the ones we are talking about were built in the 19th century and are solid walled homes. WTGR, those houses wouldn't be moved on a truck! The only way would be to demolish them and rebuild in another plot. These houses withstood the blitz so they're not gonna move easily WTGR.

Could SL 'sweeten' things with some of the homes planned for his land at AV, costs permitting?

2 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Bristol Sport must own most of the houses behind the Atyeo now. Once the last couple of dominos fall I would like to see a huge kop single tier but same height as the Lansdown :fingerscrossed:

Lots of rumours SDC but no proof that they actually own any of them yet! I keep hearing all but 2 are purchased but I have my doubts TBH.

45 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Hopefully the Dolman or Lansdown in the corner. Home fans behind both goals ideally. I’d love a redeveloped Atyeo to be made into a proper kop like home-end.

:(

I would be moved again if that happened. Moved from the old east end, moved then from the Williams, moved from the family corner to accomodate S82 and now I'll be moved from B block? Someone somewhere doesn't want me at the football! :grr:

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Is there actually any evidence of this or is it just a myth that people keep perpetuating?

Exactly, does anyone actually know if this is potentially happening or is it all rumour? This has been doing the rounds since before the Atyeo was built IIRC so I'm sure people understand our doubts.

13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Lots of rumours SDC but no proof that they actually own any of them yet! I keep hearing all but 2 are purchased but I have my doubts TBH.

If there are truly 2 left to be bought (and I have no idea either way), it is going to be a tremendous game of chicken by the last pair of owners: selling the ransom strip last plot will be lucrative.

5 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

If there are truly 2 left to be bought (and I have no idea either way), it is going to be a tremendous game of chicken by the last pair of owners: selling the ransom strip last plot will be lucrative.

Spot on OTIK, we just have no idea if these tales are true or just tales though. I was told (not ITK at all) that the last 2 were offered a cool £1M as a 'take it or leave it' offer but it's pure pub talk TBH and, like your good self,  I've no idea if there is anything in it at all. 

4 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Yes, it's big enough.

Ashton Gate holds more than;

Bournemouth (11, 464)

Burnley (22, 546)

Crystal Palace (26,309)

Huddersfield (24,500)

Swansea (20, 972)

and Watford (21,977)

grounds recently(ish) in the Premier League include Craven Cottage ((25,678), and the Kcom ((25,404)

Bigger than the Hawthorns too (26,850). 

5 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Yes, it's big enough.

Ashton Gate holds more than;

Bournemouth (11, 464)

Burnley (222, 546)

Crystal Palace (26,309)

Huddersfield (24,500)

Swansea (20, 972)

and Watford (21,977)

grounds recently(ish) in the Premier League include Craven Cottage ((25,678), and the Kcom ((25,404)

Blimey thats almost as many as the Mem... and they still have to lock 30k out every week mind...

16 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I think you need to put the crack pipe down, my friend. That's enough hits for today.

It would cost a lot of money but the city would benefit from it and the politicians would absolutely love it. If we can afford it why can't you?

Make the queen homeless and build a tunnel. You won't regret it.

46 minutes ago, adamski said:

Easier option

For me this would be a better shout. There is plenty of room at the Lansdown/South stand corner and then its just a case of buying the three houses and then we can add another tier on top of the south.. i think the South Stand was built with another tier in mind anyway

Really don't see this as an issue, even if, and its a massive if we can maintain our surge towards the prem, the first year would see a big increase in season ticket sales with many sell outs, but for the size of gound to become an issue, we would need to establish ourselves as a mid to top half team, rather than the likely relegation promotion cycle that will see attendance drop

Archived