IGNORED

Woodrow - waste of a wage

headhunter

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Woodrow isn’t a bad player, but as someone who was really keen on him over the summer, it seems like "hands-up", he hasn’t worked out.  Don’t think he’s been given a run to be fair, but seems like LJ isn’t going to.

Still think he’s better than Taylor :P

In your defence Dave, I doubt you anticipated Bobby Reid being a great find as a forward, for us to be in the playoff places and in the semi finals of the league cup.

A more likely estimation when Woodrow arrived was for us to be midtable. He’s probably fine for that sort of level, but I don’t think he’s good enough for a club with aspirations of higher.

I strongly believe forwards in particular need a run of starts before being judged, but he’s clearly not going to get that here.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Woodrow isn’t a bad player, but as someone who was really keen on him over the summer, it seems like "hands-up", he hasn’t worked out.  Don’t think he’s been given a run to be fair, but seems like LJ isn’t going to.

If you asked me last week is Woodrow better than Taylor I’d disagree, however based on yesterday where both were poor I’d pick Woodrow over Taylor now. 

For every fantastic bit of play from Taylor (Utd pass) there’s about 2-3 ineffective games. He’s more than paid back his £300k fee and we could recoup the money back easily.

Would love the second half of the season with Reid, Diedhiou, Djuric, new striker, Woodrow only.

3 hours ago, Ronnie pickering said:

Bloke is a fraud, hasn't got enough pace to get in behind, not physical enough to win anything in the air, terrible finisher. Only semi decent thing is his link up play is OK

Said in the summer a totally uninspiring and questionable signing. We basically panicked after Vassell went to a Brum

Taylor got 5 assists last season so that's encouraging for secondary striker attributes. However he hasn't really kicked on at all has he from that point.

As for Woodrow his output isn't great but a bit of a presence up front maybe, relieve pressure on others that kinda thing. Run of games perhaps then we can better judge one way or the other.

Both Woodrow and Taylor just don't look like scoring. 

I remember rovers fans saying in league two that Taylor needs to miss a few to score but he's just not good enough to get a few chances at Championship level.

I really hope we sign a striker in this window as Djuric always seems to be injured which effectively means we have no decent back up for Diedhiou.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think this is the unfortunate paradox with Woodrow. He's never going to find his rhythm and confidence unless he gets a run in the team but it's impossible to justify giving him that run in the team due to the fact that he hasn't shown enough when he has played. I think he was worth a punt as a loan signing but ultimately it hasn't worked and I don't think it is going to.

For me, Matty Taylor shows in glimpses what he can do but is just nowhere near consistent enough. My major concern at the moment is that Reid and Taylor really drifts in and out of games and Woodrow doesn't impose himself.  I don't really see Taylor-Reid, Woodrow-Reid or Taylor-Woodrow as working well enough as partnerships. I know Djuric and Diediou will be back in time but, unless Engvall is ready to start pulling up trees, I really think we need another striker and that probably means someone has to move on. I think Taylor is better than some give him credit for but would not be heartbroken if we managed to upgrade on him in this transfer window. 

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think this is the unfortunate paradox with Woodrow. He's never going to find his rhythm and confidence unless he gets a run in the team but it's impossible to justify giving him that run in the team due to the fact that he hasn't shown enough when he has played. I think he was worth a punt as a loan signing but ultimately it hasn't worked and I don't think it is going to.

For me, Matty Taylor shows in glimpses what he can do but is just nowhere near consistent enough. My major concern at the moment is that Reid and Taylor really drifts in and out of games and Woodrow doesn't impose himself.  I don't really see Taylor-Reid, Woodrow-Reid or Taylor-Woodrow as working well enough as partnerships. I know Djuric and Diediou will be back in time but, unless Engvall is ready to start pulling up trees, I really think we need another striker and that probably means someone has to move on. I think Taylor is better than some give him credit for but would not be heartbroken if we managed to upgrade on him in this transfer window. 

Can’t really argue with any of that tbh.

The best partnership we’ve had this season over more than a one-off game was Diedhiou/Reid and Reid/Paterson (withdrawn role).  

Diedhiou/Taylor v Stoke was Taylor’s best game for me...but I think that shows what a good partner Diedhiou is for anyone.

Will be great when he’s back....means you can even rest Reid and play Pato off of him.

Not forgetting Djúric, who has his own style.

5 hours ago, headhunter said:

As the OP on this topic and not someone who went to Vicarage Road I take it from comments on his performance yesterday that he offered nothing to suggest the topic lead comment was ill judged?

At QPR I thought we saw signs of a decent player, some nice touches and good link up play. Yesterday he was dreadful: no energy (which is a big problem the way City play), poor touch, and did nothing to support The young lad Evans who was quite isolated and outnumbered in midfield, since we played with two out and out wingers. Didn’t really give their defenders anything to worry about. With Taylor again demonstrating his inability to hit a barn door from 5 yards it’s really a toss up which of the two  we might look to move on, but does highlight the need for backup. 

15 minutes ago, italian dave said:

At QPR I thought we saw signs of a decent player, some nice touches and good link up play. Yesterday he was dreadful: no energy (which is a big problem the way City play), poor touch, and did nothing to support The young lad Evans who was quite isolated and outnumbered in midfield, since we played with two out and out wingers. Didn’t really give their defenders anything to worry about. With Taylor again demonstrating his inability to hit a barn door from 5 yards it’s really a toss up which of the two  we might look to move on, but does highlight the need for backup. 

Seeing as Taylor is ours and actually has a history of scoring goals (albeit at a lower level), it's a no brainer to get rid of Woodrow.

On the strength of yesterday's game, I don't think anyone stood out particularly. What did show up was how much we need our core players in the team. I think LJ did the right thing in giving some of the youngsters a chance yesterday and generally they repaid his confidence. Woodrow didn't really make the grade, but he wasn't alone. Hope Djuric and Diedhiou are back quickly and we need Bryan and Reid, Patterson, Flint, Pack and Fielding and O'Dowda too. Oh what the hell, I love 'em all !!!!!

1 hour ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Seeing as Taylor is ours and actually has a history of scoring goals (albeit at a lower level), it's a no brainer to get rid of Woodrow.

But if the deal for him apparently is until the end of the season how do we "get rid"?

Talking of their "history of scoring goals" one of Woodrow and Taylor has scored once in the Prem and 14 times in the Championship, the other has scored two goals in at Championship level.

What to guess which one is which?

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

But if the deal for him apparently is until the end of the season how do we "get rid"?

Talking of their "history of scoring goals" one of Woodrow and Taylor has scored once in the Prem and 14 times in the Championship, the other has scored two goals in at Championship level.

So was Leko I think but that might have been a youth loan which I believe have different rules

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

So was Leko I think but that might have been a youth loan which I believe have different rules

West Brom inserted a recall clause for Leko.

Woodrow is out of contract this summer at Fulham, they haven't offered him a new one, so he seems certain to be released, why would they want him back?

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Leko was a season-long loan. Guess what? He's not here anymore. 

34 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

And while we are about it Taylor too ? Mc Coulsky is the future 

Agree on McCoulsky. I'd sooner have him here than Woodrow.

As for Taylor, he was fantastic in the cup games earlier in the season when paired with Diedhiou, particularly Stoke at home where the pair of them ran a strong Stoke defence ragged. His goal return should be better regardless of whether he's partnered with him or not, but as shown at the Gas he does have goals in him. Would keep him.

Archived