IGNORED

The Aston Villa v Bristol City Match Day Thread 26

1 minute ago, Red Wardy Returns said:

He is a cracking goalscoring defender. He is NOT a striker.

No he isn't - evidently. But whilst Diedhiou and Djuric are out we lack a presence up front. It's essential to how we play, distracting and pulling their defence apart so that our creative players (such as Reid and Paterson) have the space to pick passes and score goals.

Two wins ahead of 7th and only one win off of 2nd. We’re doing incredibly well this season. So many games without what would likely be a full starting 11 aswell. 

To maintain our push for at least play offs though we really need to recruit wisely as the players returning from injury will likely need a bit of time to be fully effective.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No he isn't - evidently. But whilst Diedhiou and Djuric are out we lack a presence up front. It's essential to how we play, distracting and pulling their defence apart so that our creative players (such as Reid and Paterson) have the space to pick passes and score goals.

I think we should have overloaded the midfield and left Reid as a lone striker. Just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Brownhill and Smith both need a rest, never mind Magnússon

The two changes at half time were, I presume, tactical to try to get us back in the match... as has been said here many times the Watford game should be our reserves/kids and the next game is 8 days away so plenty of rest. I'd keep a team out that will have the best chance of keeping the score as low as possible.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Quite, and if were not for Taylor flint would have scored just a few mins into 2nd half tonight.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Didn't expect anything less than this today. Far too many games all close together with the Man Utd game on top, and long term injuries rather than short term ones. It's almost been a game every 2 to 3 days and against sides at the top. 

Still, not many other sides around us have capitalised over the Christmas break either, so we write it off and going again.

The timing of the Man Utd game could not have been worse. What a night but as many thought it is having a massive effect on our Xmas form.

4 minutes ago, The hand of RO'D said:

People saying this is shades of last season...

Get a grip for goodness sake. We’re 4th in the league, this is our first heavy defeat of the season! How many unbeaten away were we before tonight?

I despair sometimes I honestly do. I swear some on here are just hoping for failure so they have something to post about.

Saying the performance looks like performances from last season doesn't mean I think the whole season is going that way. It's just an observation 

Just now, Red Wardy Returns said:

I think we should have overloaded the midfield and left Reid as a lone striker. Just my opinion.

You're talking about an isolated game but i'm talking about our style of play on a bigger scale to explain why Flint is playing forward

You can make the argument about tactical choices for the Wolves game but the fact is that our style of play requires at least one bigger forward.

It's not a fluke we signed both Djuric and Diedhiou in the last year - both with size, presence and energy.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Had a bad feeling about today,  it’s always hard when your second game in a very quick turnaround is away from home, especially at somewhere like Villa.

Just too many games in a short period. An insane fixture list which favours the big spenders with the extensive depth of squad.

Add our huge cup game into the mix and this was always likely to happen. 

Rather have our festive run than Cardiff's though.

At least the degree of this defeat will persuade Johnson and Lansdown that some new faces are essential this month. 

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Had a bad feeling about today,  it’s always hard when your second game in a very quick turnaround is away from home, especially at somewhere like Villa.

Totally Agree Portland, was always going to be a real tough one and am sure its just going to be a blip :fingerscrossed:

1 minute ago, hoxton casual said:

The timing of the Man Utd game could not have been worse. What a night but as many thought it is having a massive effect on our Xmas form.

Like I said, it was almost a game every 2 - 3 days and it wasn't against Burton or Birmingham or Bolton. We never really stood a chance.

• Like 1