IGNORED

A Big Worry

redsontour

Now, at the outset I want to say that I believe we will go up this season, however, I have one major concern.........What an earth is going on goal keeper wise???

We have a #1 in Steve Phillips who, by (general consensus) is a) the best shot stopper in the league and b) by (mine and various others) consensus the worst set piece positioner and the least dominating keeper I have seen at the gate in 20 years.

Our #2 has not played a league game in 18 months and only appeared 14 times in the reserves last year. Hardly a threat to SP, and thus hardly a motivating factor.

Our #3 is, err, an academy lad who, in all honesty, I have never heard of before the Newport squad was picked?

Now, don't get me wrong, if he stays fit, SP can do a job in this division as usual, however, am I the only one to notice that we lost a previous #1 completely through injury, yet we have no back up so to speak?

All this talk of big strikers and lost defenders, could we not sign some 25 year old with league experience to put some pressure on a guy who has absolutely no one to fight for his position in over 2 years? I sure as well know that if I didn't suspect there were some hungry, lean, climbers after my job I would be slightly less inclined to work so hard......

I can't see the point in Tinman spending out on a keeper who's going to be second choice and park his behind on the bench all season... that would be a real waste.

If Stevie did get injured, there's always a loan option for the remainder of the season I guess.............

I dont think the point is cover for Phillips, more like need for competition! Most teams have 2 or 3 keepers capable of playing first team football. Its the same as any position really, you need competition for that position otherwise it might not bring out the best in the player if he is unchallenged in his role. Just a thought really!

I can't see the point in Tinman spending out on a keeper who's going to be second choice and park his behind on the bench all season... that would be a real waste.

If Stevie did get injured, there's always a loan option for the remainder of the season I guess.............

I think that is the option. We don't need a keeper to just play second fiddle. Having two keepers or phillips' ability would cost quite a bit in wages.

Getting a loan player in if phillips was injured or off form would seem the best option to me.

I suppose in a perfect world i'd agree with you that every position should have competition, but the truth is we'd need a quality keeper to put any pressure on steve which sadly means big money plus any quality keeper wouldnt come without any assurances he'd be 1st choice. You could in the prem and 1st but sadly i dont think you'd get too many at our level.

Wouldnt supprise me that a few feelers have already been put out for loan signings just in case.

Which is ok if steve pulls up in training, but if its in the first 5mins of a game i agree that could be worrying. :D

Archived