IGNORED

The Semi final

Ska Junkie

Let's be honest here, 11 v 11 Man City should rip us a new arse hole given their nigh on £1B squad but what's an acceptable first leg score that might just give us a chance?

I say 2-0 down because Pep might just leave the big guns out and at our place, with a partisan crowd behind the lads, and them playing kids (because Pep thinks that's enough), we might have a prayer.

Less than that lead, he's gonna play some of his big guns, more than that, we're too far behind.

What's acceptable to come back to the Gate with that will avoid, Aguero, KDB, Sane etc, etc but give us a chance to make it a tie?

We really shouldn't have a prayer over two legs as, let's be honest, they should win easily.

**** that, UTC!!! :fingerscrossed:

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

So would I but does 0-3 give us a chance at the Gate? No matter how small.

I reckon we've always got a chance. Weird season this, feels like a win is in the script somewhere :whistle:

We'll have a right good go regardless my friend.

Reading their forum, they're expecting us to 'park the bus' and I'm not sure we can do that, even if we wanted to. Up and at them is the way I want us to go, if we get pummeled, so be it!

It's the City way as far as I'm concerned (but we're in the tie if we get a 0-2). ;)

4 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Let's be honest here, 11 v 11 Man City should rip us a new arse hole given their nigh on £1B squad but what's an acceptable first leg score that might just give us a chance?

I say 2-0 down because Pep might just leave the big guns out and at our place, with a partisan crowd behind the lads, and them playing kids (because Pep thinks that's enough), we might have a prayer.

Less than that lead, he's gonna play some of his big guns, more than that, we're too far behind.

What's acceptable to come back to the Gate with that will avoid, Aguero, KDB, Sane etc, etc but give us a chance to make it a tie?

We really shouldn't have a prayer over two legs as, let's be honest, they should win easily.

Just don't ask to do the prematch team talk for Bob's sake .

Talk about negative.

I think we are are playing one of the top 3 teams in the world (might be wrong) so fingers crossed and hope for the best 

anything under 3-0 on tuesday would be a good result in my eyes and gives us a glimmer of hope for the second leg. also a plus point in my eyes is how mush this run has raised the profile of this club, i have never had so many people come up and say what a good result and how well we played ,when we played man u so that has to be a good thing alone. lets hope we can keep the tie alive for the second leg like back in 1989

0-1 away win but Johnson needs to get his tactics spot on.

Man City love a ball threaded behind the full backs so do we go for our best LB in that position, Bryan, or do we play Maggers and instruct Bryan to play defensively.

On the other side it' a shame O'Doowda is injured as he is very good defensively.

The defence looks easy to get at though so I hope we play 2 strikers and another 1 who are always looking to play on the front foot.

5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

We'll have a right good go regardless my friend.

Reading their forum, they're expecting us to 'park the bus' and I'm not sure we can do that, even if we wanted to. Up and at them is the way I want us to go, if we get pummeled, so be it!

It's the City way as far as I'm concerned (but we're in the tie if we get a 0-2). ;)

Not a chance we will ‘park the bus’ SJ

I expect us to be  be under pressure for long periods and that sometimes looks like a side is parking the bus but we will play our normal game of pressing and looking to counter quickly when we win the ball

In many ways trying to take Man City on , at in essence their own game is highly dangerous and plays into their hands theoretically , but is how this squad have been coached and undoubtedly the way we play

Trying to do something we don’t do and a game plan that hasn’t been coached (Unless Lee has and surprises us ! ) is just as , or more dangerous than playing our own game that we know and has brought us success.

We will , and will certainly need to , defend resolutely but that’s not parking the bus

What will intrigue me is whether we still go for broke and press them high up the pitch , and how high up the pitch we press (From the moment their keeper plays short or will we concede a third of the pitch)

It could get messy but ultimately depends on the side Pep picks

Unfortunately I think he’s sharp and won’t underestimate us or the fact it’s a semi final (Think meeting them in an earlier round might have given us more of a slim chance)

If Pep picks a very young side (And together with the odd role of luck here and there) I actually think we could give them a bloody nose and get a result up there 

Remember it’s a massive game for each of our players (Together with the United exposure their Biggest game of each of their careers I’d suggest , bearing I; mind it’s a semi , the opposition and the tv exposure round the world again) and I anticipate each and every one wearing a red shirt will be ‘at it’

I also think we could cash in massively if we can earn enough set pieces within range of their penalty box 

Corners , Hordurs throws and free kicks are likely to be real opportunities with Flint , and their probably, weakest trait

Ive actually got a nagging positive vibe about Tuesday  :city:

(But also bracing myself for a lesson but a party :clapping:)

If we were to get any form of result up there the backlash at the Gate could be interesting !!!

COYR

Going into the home leg less than 3 down still gives us a ghost of a chance. If we are to lose it would be good for Man City to be in a position where they are going to put out a fairly weak team but be not so far ahead it'd not unimaginable to turn it around. 3-0 down feels a bit too much of a deficit to bring home.

7 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Clutching at straws!! To an outsider we’ve lost three in the bounce , and let in 10 goals. There is a slight potential that may mean with Man City being at home they play a weakened team with the option to turn it around second leg.

I have a feeling we may get a draw Tuesday, however over the two games they will prove too strong 

I think we need to go up there and not get beat... as crazy as that sounds :laughcont: but if we do come away without getting beat then I think we’ll have a great chance at the gate. Easier said than done. However at this current moment in time anything under 5-0 I’ll be happy. 

Let's be honest, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we could get a right drubbing if Man City really go for it.

On the other hand, we all know that football is a 'funny old game', and unlikely and seemingly impossible results do occasionally happen.

Personally, if we keep the score down to 3 or less I'll be pretty pleased.

All we can do is go up there, support the team, play our game and hope things go our way a little.

No team has pressed Man City high this season, if you let them play out from the back you are immediately in trouble.

We must deny them space in their half, most teams make the mistake of trying to deny them space 40 yards from ‘our’ goal. That doesn’t work because Man City’s players are too clever in that area.

Attack and press there defensive players as they are the least comfortable on the ball.

It will be the same tactics as when we played the other team from Manchester, it showed that these Prem defensive players aren’t as comfortable when given no time on the ball.

We must play as a tight unit, deny them the space everywhere on the pitch.

Our fitness on the night will be crucial, all 14 players we will use will have to work 100% and give everything, If that isn’t good enough then so be it, but I know they will make us proud.

If we can get away with 3-0 or better I`ll be happy. If we can nick one at the end I`ll be ecstatic.

If we can go into the second leg at 3-1 who knows what can happen if we score early? It`s a shame in a way that QPR got beaten yesterday as if we had a weekend off after the second leg we could really go for it if we did have a chance of an upset.

Mind you, I doubt we`d have had a prayer against Manchester red over two legs, we`d have been beaten easily even if we had gone to Old Trafford 2-1 up from a first leg.

For me though it`s about giving a good account of ourselves and leaving the Etihad with our heads held high although even a stuffing won`t really take away the achievements of this season thus far and we will still be media darlings because of the quarter final.

8 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

No team has pressed Man City high this season, if you let them play out from the back you are immediately in trouble.

We must deny them space in their half, most teams make the mistake of trying to deny them space 40 yards from ‘our’ goal. That doesn’t work because Man City’s players are too clever in that area.

Attack and press there defensive players as they are the least comfortable on the ball.

It will be the same tactics as when we played the other team from Manchester, it showed that these Prem defensive players aren’t as comfortable when given no time on the ball.

Our fitness on the night will be crucial, all 14 players we will use will have to work 100% and give everything, If that isn’t good enough then so be it, but I know they will make us proud.

Burnley did , or at least tried to yesterday PB

Its a brave call as if they beat the press early you can be sliced apart

But we need to be brave and do so where we can (Id actually mix our game , do it for periods and for periods drop off and try and take a breather when we need)

11 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Thing is their defensive players are comfortable on the ball, that's exactly why they're playing for a Pep side. I don't really see any weaknesses at all in their side bar the keeper Bravo who I guess will be playing Tuesday. 

9 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Thing is their defensive players are comfortable on the ball, that's exactly why they're playing for a Pep side. I don't really see any weaknesses at all in their side bar the keeper Bravo who I guess will be playing Tuesday. 

More mistakes in them though I reckon. See Stones yesterday, we need to take advantage of that.

Archived