IGNORED

Wilson Not To Blame?

Ian M

• Admin

As a fully paid up member of the "non-Wilson fan club" I'd just like to come out and say that today I do not hold Wilson responsible for today's defeat.

Today we could well have found ourselves 5 goals to the good at half time and ended up ruing those missed chances.

2 weeks till our next leage match :(

viewnow.jpg

(Grey skies hover over Ashton Gate)

As the "chairman" of that particular club, I'd agree, however, I don't judge on one game.

DW has an annoying habit of not seeing what the rest of us mere mortals can see in an instant.

I don't know if he's just pigheaded but our recent improvement in this awful division, is down to playing central midfielders who can pass and injecting pace, with width.

LW's a different player now he's had a run of games in the middle (Cue DW playing him wide next week if KA's injured) and Millers getting some crosses and, guess what, scoring!!

Some of our club, have been saying that since August & September so I for one won't be praising the guy as a football genius, just yet.

I still maintain with all of our advantages over the likes of Brentford, Colchester, Bmth etc, we've massively under acheived and, although I'll be the first bloke to buy him a pint or six if we go up, the play offs, by the skin of our teeth, is the best I can honestly see us doing without two decent signings..now!

KingswoodRed,

I wish I had your apparent razor-sharp insight to know that we are "obviously" not good enough to go up. I sometimes wonder why you bother to go see the City at all when you already know what the outcome will be and that it will be a tremendous disappointment to you. :(

I agree that we wasted chances today and that our front line perhaps isn't firing on all cylinders. But it's been like that for several seasons - nothing new there. Murray masked our deficiencies in front of goal because of his personal strike rate.

What we need is not another Murray, but forwards with the confidence, guile and accuracy to hit the target.

I believe we have that in Miller. But I think Peacock and Roberts are too wasteful and Matthews is a non-starter and overrated. To my mind, that leaves Lita, and perhaps Marvin Brown.

Isn't it about time one or both of these two had a reasonable run in the side to see how they fare?

Oh - and I still think we're good enough to go up - if we start taking the chances we make! :(

I think it was poor finnishing today that cost us the game , wilsons tactics were just right today , but we couldnt finnish , plus the fact that there keeper had a stormer , i dont think wilson or the players are to blame , it was just "one of those days" , keep it up lads you'll come good in the end , have faith.

How many more 'makes the next game all the more important' quotes do we get before we accept the obvious?

Just an observation.

The difference is we are playing football capable of winning football matches, and lot's of them.

Up until the last couple of weeks we've been absolutely dire. Wilson has been blaming it on 'not getting the rub of the green' which is complete rubbish, we've just been poor, over-defensive and under-creative.

The past couple of weeks, and yesterday in particular, have been extremely productive. I doubt you went yesterday, if you did you'd be far from dissapointed, as you're not too short sighted to overlook performance and just look at the result, are you?

Winning 1-0 yesterday and playing poorly and getting fortunate, as we did at Plymouth in truth, would not have been the answer. A short term fix perhaps, but what happens when we re-produce the same performance at Rushden? It was far more productive in the longer term that we put in what was one of the best displays of the season even if it meant losing. If the players can keep the belief and confidence required to go on from here. There is nothing we need to accept.

The fact is we've finally got something to really build on. Yesterday we should've produced the same sort of result we produced at Brighton a fortnight a go, we had chance after chance after chance, and really for the first time this season we are able to genuinely blame not getting the luck needed to go on to win the game. If we continue to play that sort of football, and become more clinical infront of goal, we will go up. Simple.

Archived