IGNORED

First game

EdinburghJon

Hi all,

We do an accumulator each week throughout the season and, at the start of the season, the guys decided that we would book a trip to watch the club who scored first on that day.  Thankfully, it ended up being Bristol City and we have had a great time this year watching out for the scores, watching the games on TV and organising the trip.  Anyway, we will be heading down for the game against Sheffield Wednesday and I wondered if you could help me with a few queries I had:

- are the tickets likely to sell out before the 29th January when they go on general sale? 

- if one of us signs up to the Bristol Forever membership, could we order the tickets for the whole group (8 of us)?

- what's the best area of the stadium to get a ticket in?

- is there any way of getting the home shirt as we noticed that they seem to be sold out now;

- where's best to go pre-match for drinks?  Noticed that there seems to be a supporters bar and so any advice on how to get in there would also be helpful;

- how easy is it to get to the basketball after the game?  Noticed there is a game on at 7:30 and thought we could do both, although will more likely just end up heading into town.

Cheers!

37 minutes ago, EdinburghJon said:

Hi all,

We do an accumulator each week throughout the season and, at the start of the season, the guys decided that we would book a trip to watch the club who scored first on that day.  Thankfully, it ended up being Bristol City and we have had a great time this year watching out for the scores, watching the games on TV and organising the trip.  Anyway, we will be heading down for the game against Sheffield Wednesday and I wondered if you could help me with a few queries I had:

- are the tickets likely to sell out before the 29th January when they go on general sale? NO, there should be tickets available for general sale. 

- if one of us signs up to the Bristol Forever membership, could we order the tickets for the whole group (8 of us)? Not sure on this one - I do know that the discount will only apply to one ticket and the other 7 would be general sale price.  Not sure if you can buy 8 tickets during the member's priority period though.

- what's the best area of the stadium to get a ticket in? Assuming you want 8 together probably the South Stand if you want some atmosphere or the Upper Lansdown (assuming it is open) if you prioritise a good view. Getting 8 together in the Dolman might be tricky.

- is there any way of getting the home shirt as we noticed that they seem to be sold out now; Club shop in the south concourse - phone ahead to check stock levels.

- where's best to go pre-match for drinks?  Noticed that there seems to be a supporters bar and so any advice on how to get in there would also be helpful; Rising Sun, or a few other pubs.  otherwise at the ground itself is the "fan park" which is a collection of beer stands and food stands. I don't think you need anything to get into the Sports Bar.

- how easy is it to get to the basketball after the game?  Noticed there is a game on at 7:30 and thought we could do both, although will more likely just end up heading into town. The basketball is held in the north of Bristol.  Depending on traffic I'd imagine it's possible to make it in time for 7:30. Suspect with 8 of you you'd be able to economically pre-order a couple of taxis to pick you up. Otherwise the train from Parsons Street (15 min walk from AG) to Filton Abbey Wood should take an hour or so and could be a good option - check timetable though.

Cheers!

Anyone else please feel free to correct any answer or expand to help our Scottish chapter out.

I'm in the South Stand and even before the half season ticket sales I don't recall seeing 2/3 seats spare in a group let alone 8. Sorry to be a kill joy!  Best advice I'd give is to ring the ticket office and explain your random but great story to one of the staff there!  They've always been really helpful in the past. Good luck. 

@EdinburghJon I recommend Dolman E28 as a good trade-off between view and price. It’s a side-on view of the pitch near our most vocal support, so the atmosphere is good, and it’s cheaper than central blocks or the Lansdown Stand. Plus there is generally good availability in this block as there aren’t many season ticket holders.

Love this kind of thing.

Rising Sun on North Street is always good pre-match, would recommend as far back in the Dolman as possible, as close to the South Stand as possible. E28 is a good bet.

Hope you have a good day lads.

I actually bought a Bristol City Forever membership before seeing the response above.  At worst, its a donation to the club and allows us to have a look at the pricing / availability. 

Thoroughly looking forward to the day.  Of all the places we could have ended up, we hit the jackpot - good team, good stadium and easy to fly to from Edinburgh.

What a great idea, you have picked a good game to come to I'm sure you will be made very welcome and thank god Bristol Rovers didn't score the first goal of the season as you wouldn't have enjoyed your trip there although they would have been very pleased to have an extra 8 on their gate but you may have only got as far as the carpark as they have thousands locked out most weeks

3 hours ago, EdinburghJon said:

Hi all,

- are the tickets likely to sell out before the 29th January when they go on general sale? 

- if one of us signs up to the Bristol Forever membership, could we order the tickets for the whole group (8 of us)?

- is there any way of getting the home shirt as we noticed that they seem to be sold out now;

- where's best to go pre-match for drinks?  Noticed that there seems to be a supporters bar and so any advice on how to get in there would also be helpful;

- how easy is it to get to the basketball after the game?  Noticed there is a game on at 7:30 and thought we could do both, although will more likely just end up heading into town.

Cheers!

As our resident (possibly only) Bristol Flyers Basketball poster on here, you should have no trouble getting from Ashton Gate to the WISE Arena in Filton in time for a 1930 tip-off.

However if you are serious, then book as soon as Tickets go on general sale.  The WISE holds c750, and every game has sold out since last January....over a year.  Despite it being a sports hall with seats type of arena, it’s small, but compact, and the atmosphere is as good as any footie i’ve been to with the odd exception.

If you want, you could do the Courtside VIP experience, where you get your ticket and bucket of beers (3 beers or cider per ticket) for £25.  The queue for beers at half-time can be quite long, so with VIP,  the beers will be brought to you.  There’s a buffet VIP option too, think that’s £37ish.

I’m taking 10 mates for the Surrey Scorchers game the week before, i’m A season ticket holder for both footie and basketball.

General sale for your game is 2 weeks away - 29th Jan.

If you do get to go, look out for a rather animated spectator and his kids sat under the #mikevigorfanclub flag :P

I do a bit of work for the basketball team. As a pre-warning, buy your tickets for the basketball early. They do and will sell out if you don't. May even be worth contacting the club as they might do you a bit of a discount for a group of eight. 

I'll be headed to the same game and not sureof my route there yet either but will work something out.

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As our resident (possibly only) Bristol Flyers Basketball poster on here, you should have no trouble getting from Ashton Gate to the WISE Arena in Filton in time for a 1930 tip-off.

You forget me. How do you get to the games from Ashton Gate or what way would you recommend? I still gotta figure my own route out.

1 minute ago, Robin TBW said:

I do a bit of work for the basketball team. As a pre-warning, buy your tickets for the basketball early. They do and will sell out if you don't. May even be worth contacting the club as they might do you a bit of a discount for a group of eight. 

I'll be headed to the same game and not sureof my route there yet either but will work something out.

You forget me. How do you get to the games from Ashton Gate? I gotta figure my route out still.

Sorry, didn’t realise.  Great innit.

I drive from AG with Joe, pick up my daughter from Downend, and then drive to the WISE.  Blue badge parking at both venues does make it less hassle!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, didn’t realise.  Great innit.

I drive from AG with Joe, pick up my daughter from Downend, and then drive to the WISE.  Blue badge parking at both venues does make it less hassle!

Damn. I'll have to keep researching. Need that new arena asap.

2 minutes ago, Coppello said:

I love this kind of thing and have always wanted to do it with mates but never got round to it. Let us know whether you enjoy your day out!

It’s a risk as Bournemouth and Brora were early scorers too :-). Was certainly nerve racking sitting watch Jeff confirm the goals.

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What a great thing to do. Hope you have a great time down here! Haven’t been to Scotland since I was a nipper and Edinburgh is high on the list when I finally get back! 

Edinburgh is lovely.  Lots of work meetings there, but drove up a few years ago for a family trip.  Stopped halfway going up and back to break up the drive.  Go for it!

8 hours ago, EdinburghJon said:

Actually tried to book there and could only get one ticket. Will call club and see if there is anything that can do as hard to get seven together without their help. 1 guy has dropped out unfortunately. Flight and hotel now booked so just the tickets to sort.

I think you'll struggle to get in anywhere bar the lansdown upper as a group of 8. 

maybe the club could sort you all tickets in S25/S26 which is where the atmosphere in the ground is generated from.

It's an unreserved area, and tickets rarely go on sale in there but I know the first few rows aren't sold because of it being unreserved in there and an apparent need to leave 10% free when that's the case.

The club may help you out, hopefully the SLO as earlier tagged gets in touch.  

15 hours ago, EdinburghJon said:

Hi all,

Cheers!

That's brilliant. Really hope you enjoy your day.

If you don't manage to get to the basketball and fancy going on the piss instead, Bristol is a very good night out. Park St and the waterfront/city centre is only about 20mins walk from the ground and there are bars/pubs everywhere in that area. If you fancy something a little bit 'posher' then check out Clifton. Not as many bars/pubs (still loads) but the Avon Gorge hotel terrace has one of the best views in Bristol overlooking the Suspension Bridge (if its not too cold) and the Coronation Tap is just around the corner from there if you fancy having some excellent ciders.

10 hours ago, EdinburghJon said:

Actually tried to book there and could only get one ticket. Will call club and see if there is anything that can do as hard to get seven together without their help. 1 guy has dropped out unfortunately. Flight and hotel now booked so just the tickets to sort.

Hearts or Hibs?

Archived