IGNORED

Antibiotics v Probiotics

Major Isewater

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Quite right too . Antibiotics kill bacteria , good and bad , and not viruses.

Overuse of antibiotics can also provoke a resistance to them which rends the treatment nul and void and worse , if one day the body really needs them they won't work . 

So  , as my doctor is not a complete idiot, she prescribed me a short course of antibiotics for the secondary infection which had not gone away with rest , fluids etc . 

Are you happy now ?

Exactly what has happened to me in the last 2 weeks.  Went doctors last Monday and was told I had a viral sore throat/flu. Things seem to be getting better until yesterday when I developed a temperature of touching 40 degrees and fast heart rate. Went to A and E and was immediately put on intravenous antibiotics because of suspicion of a secondary bacterial infection. Turns out I have pneumonia. The doctors have commented on how many young patients (like me) they've seen this winter with pneumonia so are carrying out lots of blood/phlegm/swab tests on me to help them discover why. I will be in the BRI until Wednesday at least if anyone wants to bring flowers!

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Exactly what has happened to me in the last 2 weeks.  Went doctors last Monday and was told I had a viral sore throat/flu. Things seem to be getting better until yesterday when I developed a temperature of touching 40 degrees and fast heart rate. Went to A and E and was immediately put on intravenous antibiotics because of suspicion of a secondary bacterial infection. Turns out I have pneumonia. The doctors have commented on how many young patients (like me) they've seen this winter with pneumonia so are carrying out lots of blood/phlegm/swab tests on me to help them discover why. I will be in the BRI until Wednesday at least if anyone wants to bring flowers!

Hope you get better soon old sock

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Look after yourself mate, it sounds bloody horrible.

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Get well soon KITR.

Hubby's had pneumonia and it's not pretty. So can totally understand what you're going through.

If only you were at Southmead as I'm up there later this week, you could have met me!

Actually, you probably wouldn't. I'd probably make you feel worse as I eat your grapes and eye up the Drs...

18 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sorry to hear that, and I hope you get well soon.

Some years ago, when I was also young(ish), I suffered from pneumonia coupled with pleurisy.

It was agonising, I can assure you, and, while it was cured eventually by antibiotics, I was curious as to how I had caught it, given that I was quite active and sportive at the time. 

My doctor suggested simply that I must have picked up the virus and/or bacteria from the general environment, so I should be quite interested to hear if the tests you are having reveal anything.  

18 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Get well soon Kid . 

:flowers:

15 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Get well soon KITR.

Hubby's had pneumonia and it's not pretty. So can totally understand what you're going through.

If only you were at Southmead as I'm up there later this week, you could have met me!

Actually, you probably wouldn't. I'd probably make you feel worse as I eat your grapes and eye up the Drs...

Sounds like a tough job, but someone's gotta do it!

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Sorry to hear that, and I hope you get well soon.

Some years ago, when I was also young(ish), I suffered from pneumonia coupled with pleurisy.

It was agonising, I can assure you, and, while it was cured eventually by antibiotics, I was curious as to how I had caught it, given that I was quite active and sportive at the time. 

My doctor suggested simply that I must have picked up the virus and/or bacteria from the general environment, so I should be quite interested to hear if the tests you are having reveal anything.  

Yes, they are saying the secondary infection was most likely caused by bacteria from the general environment taking advantage of an already weakened immune system and traumatised chest/lungs caused by the initial bout of flu!

Archived