IGNORED

Jimmy Armfield RIP

Super

There are not many I would listen to on the radio today who have the intelligence, knowledge and warmth of a great football man who loved the game to the extent he clearly did. I never saw him play but I could listen to him all day and night talking football. I’m going to miss him and his Whitty commentary and stories

RIP Jimmy Armfield a true gentleman and a legend of the English game!

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I saw him play just once in a live game. It was an FA Cup tie at home against Blackpool, Stan Matthews and several other internationals. Only 42,500 bothered to turn up!

Mike Thresher bottled up Stan and it was Wally Hinshelwood who stole the show. We drew 1-1 and lost the replay 1-0 on a foggy seaside night.

Thanks Jimmy for you contributions to football and radio commentaries. You will be missed by many who never met you.

PS. We used Cardiff City kit in both matches due to colour clash.

I was there! Remember Hinshelwood having a great game (my fav player back then) and Thresher against Mathews. Never knew Armfield was playing. Nor the kit dilemma. I were only a little lad though!

Sad loss of a real football legend.

• Admin

Many years of enjoying his summaries, Radio 2, Radio 5 and latterly 5 Live, Alan Greens tribute to him on 5L tonight was a hard listen, the bloke was struggling to hold it together.

There is a programme on at 22:00 tonight on 5L and when it was recorded, apparently Jimmy said, “is this to play when I’m gone”, they admitted it was, he said’ “ we’d best make sure it’s good then”.

He’ll be sadly missed from the radio, which I listen to a lot.

7 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

Can only echo Cidered Abroad's view on Jimmy and agree he was a great listen to on any football subject.

Was at the game, gates to the Open End opened at 12 noon we started queueing at 10.00. am to get our usual spot on Crackers Corner. No advanced ticket purchases in those days. Being down the front it got a bit tightly packed as the crowd built up so a lot of us young uns were lifted over the railings to sit on the perimeter track. The bus men had the benches that were inside the railings. Got quite close to Stan when he took corners at our end which made our day.

I don't recall seeing Jimmy Armfield play live, but I remember fondly his radio summaries.

I was a regular in the open end as a young boy, and remember well the railings, the little white wall and the slates with letters that used to show the half-time scores - I had completely forgotten about the bus men, so thanks for reminding me of them.

13 hours ago, Super said:

I grew up listening to him as well, He was a brilliant commentator.

Indeed he was. 

Jimmy Armfield had a voice that transcended virtually all in the game. In fact who better would you wish to listen to in voice and in quick witted knowledge on a saturday afternoon, sat in your most comfy arm chair? 

Jimmy will be a significant loss to football, radio commentary and, of course, his family.

Hijacking the thread slightly, our former owner at Barnsley, Patrick Cryne, passed away at the weekend as well. It was expected of course, but now he's gone and the club is in new hands it is the end of an era as they say.

Just wanted to wish you luck for tonight boys. Thought you were fantastic in the first leg and were extremely unlucky to come away with a one goal deficit. Hope you make it tonight.

Wrote to Jimmy Armfield in 1963. Got a nice letter back saying he hoped to play against Bristol City in the First Division one day. Included signed photos of him and the Blackpool team. Has been a hero ever since

City 1-1 Blackpool Jan 1959-Seem to have been a lot of us young-uns passed down to pitchside from the Open end that day. Early in the second half I was desperate for a wee and started crying. Blokes were telling me to go where I was. Couldn't do it and got passed back overhead to my Dad who took me out. Of course we couldn't get back in so got an ear bashing instead. Such fond memories

Archived