IGNORED

‘Points on the board’ - the importance of the next two games

samo II

With the excitement and glamour of the cup now over, and the club back to focusing on the league, I noticed a little ‘happy accident’ regards our upcoming fixtures that might help us get back into the groove, so to speak.

Turns out that due to the FA cup, and us playing Bolton in Sky a week on Friday; over the next week and a half we will play two league matches compared to Derby and Villa’s one, and Cardiff’s none.

If the team are on top form, and can nick a couple of wins, this could do us a world of favours in placing the rest of the top four/five under pressure, as if we head into the first weekend in February on 54 points (incidentally the same number we got all last season), then only Derby (if they avoid defeat to Millwall away) can be ahead of us.

I’m firm believer in ‘points on the board’ being significantly more valuable than games in hand, so feel the way the fixtures have fallen, we could do our push for second (or even just consolidating a playoff place) no harm at all the next couple of games.

So here’s to us bouncing back from an impressive cup run by taking back control in the race for promotion.

COYR

I'd start by saying we absolutely have to beat QPR and get that first win of the year.  To follow up with another win against Bolton, who are performing with more determination and guile than previously seen would be a fantastic return of 6 points, and would have our league campaign absolutely flying again.  And Derby won't find Millwall an easy game - they always raise their effort against the better teams.

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I'd start by saying we absolutely have to beat QPR and get that first win of the year.  To follow up with another win against Bolton, who are performing with more determination and guile than previously seen would be a fantastic return of 6 points, and would have our league campaign absolutely flying again.  And Derby won't find Millwall an easy game - they always raise their effort against the better teams.

I am not impressed with Derby . Their team lacks pace and their forwards are not clinical .

Other teams give them far too much respect.

I firmly believe that we are the best team in this division and if we can now put our injury problems behind us automatic promotion is ours for the taking .

Aside from anything else, we need to get a win to dispel the sense of having a blip. If we can get our form back, we are in a strong position. We’ve played three of the top five twice now and they all need to play each other.

Villa and Derby look strong but they will have a dip sooner or later and we can capitalise. The promotion race is wide open and we can do this. COYR!

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

I worry that we could suffer from post-Man City tiredness on Saturday, like we did against Norwich

Didn't suffer tiredness just the lack of creativity with one up top. I think having Fam back will be a massive boost.

We can't afford any more flat performances if we want to keep pace with the likes of Derby and Villa, but we should have the luxury of being able to rotate a bit this time with Fammy back, along with the two newbies and hopefully this French striker. Confident of a decent haul from our next 3 games.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I am not impressed with Derby . Their team lacks pace and their forwards are not clinical .

Other teams give them far too much respect.

I firmly believe that we are the best team in this division and if we can now put our injury problems behind us automatic promotion is ours for the taking .

Better than Wolves?.. Have a proverbial word with yourself or your missus.. ooooh that sounds rude. Not said before to my recollection. Sorry Ise.  Just kiddin fella. But you get me drift. :) 2nd best perhaps heh?

I do like and agree with OP Samo's analysis though.  

I’m not one for making statements but I firmly believe we will get that second automatic place. I can’t say why but just a gut instinct. The same instinct that made me think last May to get a ST for the first time in 40 years because I could see a certain special quality and spark about the players and club that only successful teams have. I posted back in the summer the same thoughts and the last 6 months have not for one moment dispelled that gut instinct.

I genuinely feel that this club & the players are so driven in spite of the odd setback and are determined to focus and obtain that automatic spot

With Famara, Pisano, O'Dowda, Djuric fully fit I feel we would be top 3 - we would have a really strong bench and options as well as a slightly better first team on the field. It's a real shame that we had so many long term injuries this season, but fair enough to the lads who have stepped up and got us where we are currently.

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

Didn't suffer tiredness just the lack of creativity with one up top. I think having Fam back will be a massive boost.

Yep. I didn't see the Norwich game but the stats showed we had all of the possession and few of the chances. Suggests we ran out of ideas trying to break down a disciplined defence that had done its homework. Having Diedhiou back gives us an extra dimension in attack, either as plan A or plan B.

Our form on paper looks horrible but half the games were cup games, Wolves was a narrow defeat, Derby a good result in a tough away game, and Villa just a case of the players hitting the wall. Only Norwich was a real disappointment and we have more options now than we did then.

We do need to get back on it and quickly, but I see no reason why that shouldn't happen.

50 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Yep. I didn't see the Norwich game but the stats showed we had all of the possession and few of the chances. Suggests we ran out of ideas trying to break down a disciplined defence that had done its homework. Having Diedhiou back gives us an extra dimension in attack, either as plan A or plan B.

Our form on paper looks horrible but half the games were cup games, Wolves was a narrow defeat, Derby a good result in a tough away game, and Villa just a case of the players hitting the wall. Only Norwich was a real disappointment and we have more options now than we did then.

We do need to get back on it and quickly, but I see no reason why that shouldn't happen.

I felt the Wolves game was the biggest disappointment. 1 up against 10 men we should have managed the game out for all 3 points. Instead we left Flint deployed up front, got woefully caught out and ended up with 10 ourselves. We then defend the resultant free kick absolutely terribly and almost identical to the Man Utd "through the wall" one which should have been a lesson learnt. And finally all points vanish from a free header at the back post.

15 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

I felt the Wolves game was the biggest disappointment. 1 up against 10 men we should have managed the game out for all 3 points. Instead we left Flint deployed up front, got woefully caught out and ended up with 10 ourselves. We then defend the resultant free kick absolutely terribly and almost identical to the Man Utd "through the wall" one which should have been a lesson learnt. And finally all points vanish from a free header at the back post.

Maybe. I saw that as a "these things happen" type game.

Both mistakes that led to their goals were decisions that look wrong with hindsight but were totally understandable at the time. Fielding should possibly have let their guy through to score, rather than bringing him down, so we'd have maintained the advantage in personnel, but on the other hand he might have expected the free kick to be defended rather better. Pack maybe should have got rid of the ball more quickly at the end, but if you look at it he actually has very few options on. The right one is a short pass to Bryan, but Bryan is inside the box, making it risky. His other options are to concede a corner, which is little different to the free kick, or welly the ball across his own box, which is also very risky.

That game possibly showed the difference between us and the likely champions, but I don't really think we can complain about not being quite as good as Wolves. They're a long way ahead of us in many respects.

16 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Maybe. I saw that as a "these things happen" type game.

Both mistakes that led to their goals were decisions that look wrong with hindsight but were totally understandable at the time. Fielding should possibly have let their guy through to score, rather than bringing him down, so we'd have maintained the advantage in personnel, but on the other hand he might have expected the free kick to be defended rather better. Pack maybe should have got rid of the ball more quickly at the end, but if you look at it he actually has very few options on. The right one is a short pass to Bryan, but Bryan is inside the box, making it risky. His other options are to concede a corner, which is little different to the free kick, or welly the ball across his own box, which is also very risky.

That game possibly showed the difference between us and the likely champions, but I don't really think we can complain about not being quite as good as Wolves. They're a long way ahead of us in many respects.

Genuine question, in what way do you see Wolves " a long way ahead of us in many respects" ?

• Admin
4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

To me it's between us and Villa for 2nd place, don't think Derby or Cardiff have enough in them to stay there

Just have to hope the pressure gets too much for Villa

5 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Quite right-time to go to work..next three games are vital/affirming our place in the top six...a minimum of six points from the next three starting with QPR.

Must get back into the habit of winning games or confidence will dip-crucial period coming up that will shape our direction.

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

To me it's between us and Villa for 2nd place, don't think Derby or Cardiff have enough in them to stay there

Just have to hope the pressure gets too much for Villa

Can't say I agree with that reckon Fulham, Villa and Derby.

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Better than Wolves?.. Have a proverbial word with yourself or your missus.. ooooh that sounds rude. Not said before to my recollection. Sorry Ise.  Just kiddin fella. But you get me drift. :) 2nd best perhaps heh?

I do like and agree with OP Samo's analysis though.  

The subtle emphasis was on the word ' team ' H . 

Wolves are very good but I don't believe that as a team or a group they are as close knit .

Most of our boys have come through heaven and hell together to get to where we are now .

Double winning side, record breaking losing run etc . 

Bobby and Joe have been playing together since their childhoods.

That's why I believe.

They are not just the most talented  players assembled at a price who happen to wear the same jersey.

There is a spirit , dare I say ' love ' ? that is running through this club at the moment which means that they will fight to the very end, together.

We can do this .

I  am very proud to be associated with this club right now .

6 hours ago, samo II said:

With the excitement and glamour of the cup now over, and the club back to focusing on the league, I noticed a little ‘happy accident’ regards our upcoming fixtures that might help us get back into the groove, so to speak.

Turns out that due to the FA cup, and us playing Bolton in Sky a week on Friday; over the next week and a half we will play two league matches compared to Derby and Villa’s one, and Cardiff’s none.

If the team are on top form, and can nick a couple of wins, this could do us a world of favours in placing the rest of the top four/five under pressure, as if we head into the first weekend in February on 54 points (incidentally the same number we got all last season), then only Derby (if they avoid defeat to Millwall away) can be ahead of us.

I’m firm believer in ‘points on the board’ being significantly more valuable than games in hand, so feel the way the fixtures have fallen, we could do our push for second (or even just consolidating a playoff place) no harm at all the next couple of games.

So here’s to us bouncing back from an impressive cup run by taking back control in the race for promotion.

COYR

Good spot. Nice to be able to put all of our focus into one objective now, here’s to a big end to an amazing season. COYR. 

:city:

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

The subtle emphasis was on the word ' team ' H . 

Wolves are very good but I don't believe that as a team or a group they are as close knit .

Most of our boys have come through heaven and hell together to get to where we are now .

Double winning side, record breaking losing run etc . 

Bobby and Joe have been playing together since their childhoods.

That's why I believe.

They are not just the most talented  players assembled at a price who happen to wear the same jersey.

There is a spirit , dare I say ' love ' ? that is running through this club at the moment which means that they will fight to the very end, together.

We can do this .

I  am very proud to be associated with this club right now .

Very well said, sir, brought a tear to my eye ... you really do know how to make the eyes water sometimes.

55 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Genuine question, in what way do you see Wolves " a long way ahead of us in many respects" ?

Well they're ahead in the sense of having a bigger ground, better history, and more recent top-flight experience. They're also a year ahead of us in terms of time since promotion from league one.

Where they're really ahead is in their ability to pay tens of millions for Champions League quality players. With what they've spent they should expect to be way ahead of everyone else.

I think maybe "a long way ahead in many respects" is unfair. I'm at work and was trying to finish the post quickly, so it wasn't brilliantly thought through. We're in a great place in terms of team, stadium, development squad, recruitment and academy, and it's showing. But Wolves are very clearly the best side in the division and it's no great shame losing narrowly to them.

3 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Our options were limited because of injuries so the sides we have put out limits LJ in regards to changes in tactics and style 

with players coming back and transfer window additions the squad will look far more dynamic and competitive against anyone we face from now on

Dont be surprised to see us go on another decent winning run 

1 hour ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Well they're ahead in the sense of having a bigger ground, better history, and more recent top-flight experience. They're also a year ahead of us in terms of time since promotion from league one.

Where they're really ahead is in their ability to pay tens of millions for Champions League quality players. With what they've spent they should expect to be way ahead of everyone else.

I think maybe "a long way ahead in many respects" is unfair. I'm at work and was trying to finish the post quickly, so it wasn't brilliantly thought through. We're in a great place in terms of team, stadium, development squad, recruitment and academy, and it's showing. But Wolves are very clearly the best side in the division and it's no great shame losing narrowly to them.

They are without doubt the standout team in our division.

The area I have highlighted is however the key point, their owner has decided to spend big in the hope of promotion, which currently looks like it will almost certainly pay off. 

And whilst they do get bigger crowds than say us, for example, they have driven a coach and horses through FFP on the basis that 'when' they get promoted, the EPL will go nowhere near punishing them, as they didn't with QPR and Bournemouth.

Last night was proof positive that money in football can buy success, it doesn't always work, but with a good manager and £ you have a very good chance of getting to where the owner wants to be. 

Archived