IGNORED

Bristol Cosy Football Club

Major Isewater

On 12/02/2018 at 17:34, cidered abroad said:

Major, I think you may have some grains of truth. However, I now am coming to the conclusion that, while we had a good run in both league and cup, that the long term injuries have highlighted very clearly that our squad lacks the depth of quality needed at this and higher levels.  

To go up at the end of this season, would mean that we'd need a massive influx in the summer.

Thus, the January recruitment was more conservative than many of us expected if a real push for promotion was in the club's thinking. The Club would not state publicly that we didn't want it this season as it could have a very negative impact on players and supporters. 

We'll keep fighting and may just make the play offs but I'm now thinking that the real push will be next season or even the one after. We have some very good Academy boys who in a couple of seasons may form a larger part of the squad along with a small number of higher quality recruits that are a couple or three years further on than the aforementioned Academy boys. And it will be a certainty that some of the current first team will have been sold to pay for these recruits. 

Another factor could be that we've only had one season, this one, with gates regularly over 20,000. Another season or two at this level, with decent cup runs, would really help us with FFP. 

So is it another year or two of us being patient? I believe it might be that way but at age 75, I hope I can delay the inevitable and be able to see us up there. 

same here mate im beginning to worry about seeing top class footy once more an im 63 would be nice

1 minute ago, Maltshoveller said:

No we need midfielders who can get around the pitch

and put a shift in

TD wouldnt get near the first team

You are right but how many players from the old teams not just ours would get near the first team ? Its why I didn't go further back in time and mention all the greats I moulded my game on.

9 minutes ago, reddoh said:

You are right but how many players from the old teams not just ours would get near the first team ? Its why I didn't go further back in time and mention all the greats I moulded my game on.

That was my problem to

I was a mix between Tommy Doc -Tinnion and Mat Hewlett

I tackled like Hewlett - Got around the pitch like Tommy and passed the ball like tinmans right leg God i was good!!!

On 13/02/2018 at 14:00, RedNight said:

It's amazing how these things come up when form dips

Fans were lapping up this coaches spirit and team spirit not long ago.

Now it's 'Bristol City Cosy Club'

And if LJ was ruthless after each weak performance he’d be called tinker man again. Whatever a manager does, unless he’s winning every match, one group or another will be criticising him. 

5 hours ago, Leveller said:

And if LJ was ruthless after each weak performance he’d be called tinker man again. Whatever a manager does, unless he’s winning every match, one group or another will be criticising him. 

No one is above criticism, scary dictators apart, and shouldn't be .

Even if winning every match there would be criticism because you can only improve.

Winners look to get better all the time . How much did Man City , Man Utd and Liverpool spend in the January window ? 

Can you honestly say that with our transfer activity this January we sent out a message to the world that we were seriously going for promotion ? 

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

No one is above criticism, scary dictators apart, and shouldn't be .

Even if winning every match there would be criticism because you can only improve.

Winners look to get better all the time . How much did Man City , Man Utd and Liverpool spend in the January window ? 

Can you honestly say that with our transfer activity this January we sent out a message to the world that we were seriously going for promotion ? 

I don’t think the club - or the fans - seriously thought we’d be challenging for promotion this season. Personally I think it would be too soon and I doubt the board felt it would be right to push the boat out in January to achieve it this year. Bear in mind that all the top half of the table would see the playoffs as achievable, including many bigger clubs than us. Should they all take the risk of spending millions in that window?

Most of us on OTIB saw a safe mid table finish as a target in 2017-18 and whilst the playoffs would be interesting, I would still be satisfied with, say, eighth. That would be massive progress on last season and a good platform to push on further next year.

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I don’t think the club - or the fans - seriously thought we’d be challenging for promotion this season. Personally I think it would be too soon and I doubt the board felt it would be right to push the boat out in January to achieve it this year. Bear in mind that all the top half of the table would see the playoffs as achievable, including many bigger clubs than us. Should they all take the risk of spending millions in that window?

Most of us on OTIB saw a safe mid table finish as a target in 2017-18 and whilst the playoffs would be interesting, I would still be satisfied with, say, eighth. That would be massive progress on last season and a good platform to push on further next year.

Haven't your expectations changed? We've been in the playoffs and even the top 2 for the majority of the season. We haven't been outside of the playoffs since the beginning of the season.

If you can get to January in a playoff position then it has to be your expectation to stay there. It sounded like Lois Diony may have been our primary forward target from last summer before Diedhiou, I believe the club see him as a high profile signing. 

The thing that puzzled me was the right back situation. It seemed obvious to me that we should strengthen there. I felt we needed another midfielder, a winger and a forward. We got all of these, but curiously not a right back. 

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Haven't your expectations changed? We've been in the playoffs and even the top 2 for the majority of the season. We haven't been outside of the playoffs since the beginning of the season.

If you can get to January in a playoff position then it has to be your expectation to stay there. It sounded like Lois Diony may have been our primary forward target from last summer before Diedhiou, I believe the club see him as a high profile signing. 

The thing that puzzled me was the right back situation. It seemed obvious to me that we should strengthen there. I felt we needed another midfielder, a winger and a forward. We got all of these, but curiously not a right back. 

Yes my expectations changed. At the start of the season I was expecting to be about 12th-13th and would have been happy with that. Having been in the playoff positions for so long, I think we could make it into them. But I’m not banking on it and would still be happy with eighth. Of course “playoffs” doesn’t mean promotion - still only a 25% chance or less and personally I don’t believe that we are, yet, one of the top three teams in the division. So this consolidation/improvement will satisfy me if that’s how it turns out.

Incidentally, all those posters who hate the PL and don’t want to get there at all seem to have faded into the background a bit during this season. I’m not one of those. Eventually I think we can get there and stay there.

Lee Johnson is 5'6" and has made 376 appearances in professional football, many of them under accusations of nepotism as he was managed by his father. As a manager he has endured horrible runs of form and the negativity that comes with those, and he has received death threats, yet he's kept going.

I don't think it's possible to achieve all that and not have a certain degree of toughness.

6 hours ago, Leveller said:

Yes my expectations changed. At the start of the season I was expecting to be about 12th-13th and would have been happy with that. Having been in the playoff positions for so long, I think we could make it into them. But I’m not banking on it and would still be happy with eighth. Of course “playoffs” doesn’t mean promotion - still only a 25% chance or less and personally I don’t believe that we are, yet, one of the top three teams in the division. So this consolidation/improvement will satisfy me if that’s how it turns out.

Incidentally, all those posters who hate the PL and don’t want to get there at all seem to have faded into the background a bit during this season. I’m not one of those. Eventually I think we can get there and stay there.

I`m still here!:ph34r:

Archived