IGNORED

Wigan

Kingswoodactor

3 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Bristol hasn't had PL football though, so comparisons are futile. And if it did, 27k would not be enough seats to meet demand, given the popularity of football currently. 

When football was about as popular as bad breath, and Wigan were in the lower leagues, no surprise here: Wigan were not what most people call "well supported."

Yep, weren’t their attendances about 5-6k in L1 when they first moved into the JJB??

They clearly attracted a lot of new ‘fans’ during the Premier League period (as would we or any other club). 

3 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

.....Wigan were not what most people call "well supported."

Yes but most football fans just look at attendance figures and don’t even give a second’s thought about the incredible variation in population figures around the UK and the proximity of other clubs.....Wigan Athletic get very very good support in my opinion, given their small population and the number of other clubs very close to them...

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yes but most football fans just look at attendance figures and don’t even give a second’s thought about the incredible variation in population figures around the UK and the proximity of other clubs.....Wigan Athletic get very very good support in my opinion, given their small population and the number of other clubs very close to them...

Ok, mate. No problem!

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

and add to that the fact that Wigan is very much traditionally a Rugby town

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Magnificent effort by Wigan. Fully deserved. I’d love to have had us playing Man City with 10 men, without KDB and with Aguero doing an impression of Cauley Woodrow though..! 

? we couldn't beat them with eleven.

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Magnificent effort by Wigan. Fully deserved. I’d love to have had us playing Man City with 10 men, without KDB and with Aguero doing an impression of Cauley Woodrow though..! 

We had Wolves down to 10 men, without KDB, and we were a goal to the good.....and we kept Flint up front. Oh dear :facepalm:

24 minutes ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

Wigan have Rochdale

Could be interesting for both sides after their exploits against top Prem teams this week... 

Wigan/ManCity 1-0 ... Rochdale/Spurs 2-2   impressive results by any standards, now back to the life & reality of third tier football.

Quickly followed by a massive culture shock for Wigan when they travel to Bristol Rovers at the tented Mem the following Tuesday - what a frigging downer that's gonna be for them!

Shows how great the FA Cup is, great Cup tie...well done Wigan!

The point about attendances and percentage of population... Worth pointing out in 1980s English football, most clubs, well attendances were right down! So comparing now and 80s isn't entirely accurate proportionally IMO @Jack Dawe

Another point...we should have to include North Somerset in particular in population calculation for fans, as we have a decent fanbase there.

11 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

We had Wolves down to 10 men, without KDB, and we were a goal to the good.....and we kept Flint up front. Oh dear :facepalm:

Until Frank did what he did we were in complete and total control. LJ has made a few tactical mishaps this season but that wasn’t one of them. 

I remember an article in a football magazine that featured Wigan and Bristol City's owners , Whelan and Lansdown when both clubs were in the third division.

I thought, at the time , Wigan are a flash in the pan and can't sustain a successful football club at a high level .

Since this article Wigan have  been in the Prem and won an FA cup .

How come they have had so much success which  has eluded us ? 

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I remember an article in a football magazine that featured Wigan and Bristol City's owners , Whelan and Lansdown when both clubs were in the third division.

I thought, at the time , Wigan are a flash in the pan and can't sustain a successful football club at a high level .

Since this article Wigan have  been in the Prem and won an FA cup .

How come they have had so much success which  has eluded us ? 

They wouldn't have managed it without moving to a new ground, Major. There's one "how come" for you, get you started.

Archived