IGNORED

Ten years on - history repeating

Kid in the Riot

10 hours ago, The Bard said:

Don't think that's a relevant comparison.  At least Kent has played at this level before.

The sort of player we should have signed was Liam Rosenior on loan.  He now plays right back, can play as a left back at a push and in midfield.  He's been promoted out this division before.  

It is a relevant comparison in that Kent, like Adebola and Carle, does not suit the style of play we successfully implementing pre-Xmas. The comparison in terms of relevant experience at this level was between Carle and Diony; both foreign imports expected to hit the ground running in January, which is extremely difficult.

Look, Michael McIndoe agrees with me, so basically **** off.  :yes:

18 hours ago, Olé said:

Unless my memory is playing tricks, apart from two bad defeats after Christmas at West Brom and Palace, I thought we were still reasonably competitive until the last two months of the season in 08 - in other words some weeks after the new signings had been established in the team and the team had changed as a result.

On this occasion our form dipped mid-season if anything, and both the addition of new players (January) and adjustment to tactics (yesterday, at least) has really been more of a reaction to the form than a cause of it (for one thing, note that apart from Matt Taylor, the personnel which beat Man Utd are all still available to us). 

That's not to say there isn't a risk this scrambling for new tactics now doesn't exacerbate our fall off in the same way as 07/08 - but for now it is fairly obvious to me at least, that the emerging issues pre-date both January signings. Michael M has touched on one (Paterson's form), stamina and lack of adequate cover is another.

In other words, where @Michael McIndoe argues in his book that City changed their approach in 07/08 and went away from what worked so well, I would say this time round what worked so well stopped working before Lee started tinkering, and he is guilty only of trying to find a plan B (Dubai trip?) and the new signings aren't it!

I'm not suggesting the comparison is perfect, Rob. Merely that there appear to be some striking similarities between 2008 and 2018, and in many ways that is hardly surprising given the Lansdown/Johnson presence in both seasons. You are right that the City side of 2008 continued to get good results all the way into March, as I recall we were top of the league when we went to The Valley at the start of March (flare on the pitch game). However, I think the points McIndoe is making is that a) City's style of play had altered well before that (in Jan/Feb) after the signings of Adebola and Carle and b) that those signings weren't good enough to get us promoted. Those are the direct comparisons I am making with this season.

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

However, I think the points McIndoe is making is that a) City's style of play had altered well before that (in Jan/Feb) after the signings of Adebola and Carle and b) that those signings weren't good enough to get us promoted. Those are the direct comparisons I am making with this season.

Sure - sorry, wasn't disagreeing with the overall point you were making, just being a nerd and pulling out some key differences to cause and effect.

There's no doubt in my mind (with the massive luxury of hindsight) that we're going to be talking about January signings as not helping sustain a promotion challenge so your point is well highlighted, but I do still think it's important to say that this time round their arrival did not initiate the tactical change (bar Sunday) nor the change to form. On this occasion the problems were already creeping in - I think due to injuries, fitness, retreat from use of the press so frequently (I assume with the physical stats the club uses, it became clear by end of December that they could no longer sustain it from one match to the next and have the stamina to perform consistently). 

11 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Sorry, I was being facetious.

I think the club has a transfer policy and will be sticking with it (as mentioned below) which can be considered admirable or reckless depending on which side of the fence you stand. 

Personally, I like it, I think it's refreshing and maybe we didn't get it right in January but long term the approach will work.

Will it ? 

At what point do we consider  that it's working ? 

If we keep just buying for the future where does that leave the here and now ? 

49 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It is a relevant comparison in that Kent, like Adebola and Carle, does not suit the style of play we successfully implementing pre-Xmas. The comparison in terms of relevant experience at this level was between Carle and Diony; both foreign imports expected to hit the ground running in January, which is extremely difficult.

Look, Michael McIndoe agrees with me, so basically **** off.  :yes:

I would just like to add to the debate that many , including LJ, said we needed to find other ways to win football matches .

The feeling was that we'd been ' found out ' so I'm sure the new recruits were bought in with the idea of mixing it up a bit .

That went well then , didn't it ?

:badmood:

30 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Will it ? 

At what point do we consider  that it's working ? 

If we keep just buying for the future where does that leave the here and now ? 

In a state of constant progress of course.

For instance, right now maybe it's a case of could he become a top championship player in 18 months, in 18 months as they progress and our squad is a top championship squad it moves on to 'could he become a solid premier league player in 18 months'... etc. Before you know it we are wondering if in 3 years time they'll be Europa League ready (or is it 2 years now?)

Archived