IGNORED

The Wolves loss...

Mr Popodopolous

We were 9 points clear of 7th and chucked it all away, and yet there are some who say "We're punching above our weight and we demand you to be happy regardless of recent form".

It really hasn't been great since the turn of the year. Our recent form is bottom half, 15th, yet we have played sides which were either near the bottom or suffering a loss of form themselves for the most part and come away with very little. It is poor. Nothing is guaranteed in life but this bad run can't be ignored. Again, it's gone on for too long. 

11 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Good point about away to Wed last season.

It is interesting to look at the game management aspect, as recently against Sunderland and Leeds it has cost us 4 points.

And, as is pointed out above, against Wolves at 1-1 we should have settled for that rather than try and win it and end up losing.

Despite what some on hear would have you believe we are not that young and inexperienced a team and these things should not be happening as regularly as they have been.

Very true but then positive game management has earned us a lot of points too. The recent draws that should have been wins are all we can think about because it's raw and come in a bad run, but I think positive game management has probably earned us at least as many points as poor game management has cost us.

On the game management front, the big fail I think was Sunderland. Leeds away? Maybe but a side like that at home when their fans get behind them will have a big spell in a game.

Bolton away and Norwich we should have just seen out to draws and maybe more, but shouldn't have lost definitely.

The big exception of course is, was QPR at home when Baker was sent off and we rallied in a major way! However in 2018, that has been quite the outlier.

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My thoughts on how the League would have panned out had we beat Wolves. Some of these predictions maybe a bit conservative.

Villa away- Loss but not by that margin.

Norwich home- Draw

Derby away- Draw

QPR home- Win

Bolton away- Draw

Sunderland home- Win

Leeds away- Draw

Fulham home- Draw

Cardiff away- Draw

My predictions contain a fair few draws...but Leeds and Fulham games a draw is okay in, Norwich have a strong away record v the footballing sides while away to Bolton and Cardiff, we would have been less desperate so could perhaps have played for the draw a bit more readily.

That would’ve been 5 more points plus 1 or 3 v Wolves.  Let’s go with the conservative 6 points....60 at this point.  That would’ve looked good.

4 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

We were 9 points clear of 7th and chucked it all away, and yet there are some who say "We're punching above our weight and we demand you to be happy regardless of recent form".

It really hasn't been great since the turn of the year. Our recent form is bottom half, 15th, yet we have played sides which were either near the bottom or suffering a loss of form themselves for the most part and come away with very little. It is poor. Nothing is guaranteed in life but this bad run can't be ignored. Again, it's gone on for too long. 

Spot on Chief - yet there are still lots on here who won’t tolerate any criticism about our recent form because we beat Man Yoo...

8 hours ago, lenred said:

Very true. How the Wolves team celebrated that win told you everything you needed to know that day about what an important result it was. They celebrated like that win meant that they would go on to be champions. Unlike Swindle a few years ago, Wolves actually looked as though they would go on to go up and probably as champions and it looks like they will. Was a massively damaging result to us in hindsight.  

Tend to agree with this.

A huge result, in the context of this season...for both sides.

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spot on Chief - yet there are still lots on here who won’t tolerate any criticism about our recent form because we beat Man Yoo...

It's much more than that. Making a semi final of a major cup competition was amazing-  think the Man U result was my secone best moment ever watching City and anyone who claims it wasn't up there for them probably isn't being honest with themselves. 

That, and mid table oblivion would have been taken by 99 per cent of fans at the start of the season. But we have much more to play for. A realistic shot at the play-offs is incredible, given our squad and our injuries. Of course what's happened in the last couple of months is hugely frustrating. But we still have a chance to do something incredibly special.

If we don't make it this year then yes, we'll lose Flint (and probably Bryan and maybe Reid). But all for decent money and we've seen that the club recruit well (O'Dowda, Brownhill, Famara, Baker, Steele etc.) and I'm confident we can rebuild and go again.

13 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I thought we had when we beat QPR with ten men. Obviously I was wrong.

Sunderland was a joke. Leeds could happen to anyone as Elland Road is a cauldron at times. But Sunderland....that game was a real kick in the teeth. Considering how poor they are too. 

2 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Sunderland was a joke. Leeds could happen to anyone as Elland Road is a cauldron at times. But Sunderland....that game was a real kick in the teeth. Considering how poor they are too. 

Agreed.

When we consider our record at Leeds and how when their fans get going it's a very tough place, in some ways it was a good point- though of course disappointing to lose a 2-0 lead. Sunderland at home though, there was no excuse!

Archived