IGNORED

Lowering our sights

Ivorguy

LJ says automatic promotion now not a target, but playoffs are.

If only we had invested in success we would still be in the frame for automatics. In my opinion

Same old City, as we've been for almost all my 70 years plus, bottling it again and not aiming consistently for the top

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

If only we had invested in success we would still be in the frame for automatics. In my opinion

Same old City, as we've been for almost all my 70 years plus, bottling it again and not aiming consistently for the top

I think the risk was too big. Too many teams in and around us to take a gamble. If we had been up there with Wolves with a 6-9 point margin then I think we would have seen more activity in January.

We aren't going to break the bank in a gamble to go up. 

Sadly, the players we have as a team cannot find any consistency, we have injuries and some players have completely lost form, or haven't shown any full stop.

This is City. We are used to it.

18 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

well said ivor frustrating as hell either leaking goals at the back one year or cant score goals the next oh well theirs always next year but you an i running out of time mate

Not sure how many more topics we're going to have slating the January transfer window.

If we would've went throwing money at any experienced player that moves and missed out on promotion or went through a bad run of form, the club would've got criticized for their transfer dealings then too.

Except it would've been more costly to the club financially. The club literally cannot win. Hindsight is a beautiful thing and I didn't see anybody moaning at the time! (RB position aside)

Also bringing in a few "Billy big wallet / I'm only here for the dosh" players would probably have destroyed the team spirit built up until then and could have sent us into nose dive.

We're still in the mix, I can't see a fat lady singing yet and getting C O'D back I personally feel could make one hell of a difference.

5 minutes ago, Float'n Over said:

Also bringing in a few "Billy big wallet / I'm only here for the dosh" players would probably have destroyed the team spirit built up until then and could have sent us into nose dive.

We're still in the mix, I can't see a fat lady singing yet and getting C O'D back I personally feel could make one hell of a difference.

i dont think villa fans are moaning with Grabban do you

5 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

I'm guessing you don't earn much then  :banana:

Using your logic, these players are listed in order from best to worst?

Andy Carroll (35m)

Christian Benteke (32m)

Suarez (23m)

Torres (20m)

Mascherano (18.6m)

Coutinho (12m)

Too many pricks on here looking for an argument you sir are certainly one of em

1 hour ago, Float'n Over said:

nose dive, what do you call our current form if not a nose dive.

10 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Too many pricks on here looking for an argument you sir are certainly one of em

I wasn't looking for an argument. The first comment was clearly tongue in cheek (hence the dancing emoji) and the list of players was to debunk your ridiculous statement.

It's not my fault that you're not very intelligent. 

We are indeed a bit of an oddity in the footballing world.

Wonder if Wagner at Huddersfield was readjusting his targets and setting his sights lower at this stage last season? Wonder if he was buying-in strikers who hadn’t scored any goals and unproven youngsters to mount their charge for promotion?

Most bizarre. Maybe were taking a leaf out of the City Council’s ‘always tomorrow’ book. 

If I was in a team, I’d want my leaders to be telling me ‘we aim for the stars, being second best Is unacceptable’. Don’t think we’re breeding a winning mentality here, no wonder it’s 1 in 10. 

8 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Wonder if Wagner at Huddersfield was readjusting his targets and setting his sights lower at this stage last season? Wonder if he was buying-in strikers who hadn’t scored any goals and unproven youngsters to mount their charge for promotion?

Most bizarre. Maybe were taking a leaf out of the City Council’s ‘always tomorrow’ book. 

If I was in a team, I’d want my leaders to be telling me ‘we aim for the stars, being second best Is unacceptable’. Don’t think we’re breeding a winning mentality here, no wonder it’s 1 in 10. 

Huddersfield brought in two players and spent $500k in the January transfer window, 2016/2017 season.

Collin Quaner from Union Berlin ($500k) and Isaiah Brown on loan from Chelsea.

They let four people leave in this period.

(According to TransferMarket)

7 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

i dont think villa fans are moaning with Grabban do you

Do you really think we'd have been able to out bid villa on Grabban? 

In January any good player available is going to have plenty of suitors and we wouldn't be able to match the wages of many of those. I'm sure we had targets we missed out on to other, bigger clubs

5 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Huddersfield brought in two players and spent $500k in the January transfer window, 2016/2017 season.

Collin Quaner from Union Berlin ($500k) and Isaiah Brown on loan from Chelsea.

They let four people leave in this period.

(According to TransferMarket)

Quaner with a 1 in 2 goal ratio in Germany in the first part of the season prior to purchase and both contributing goals to Huddersfield’s promotion push. 

Not saying throw money at it, am saying be smart with what the (little) money you have. 

18 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Quaner with a 1 in 2 goal ratio in Germany in the first part of the season prior to purchase and both contributing goals to Huddersfield’s promotion push. 

Not saying throw money at it, am saying be smart with what the (little) money you have. 

Quaner scored 2 in 17 appearances last year. As bad as Diony's start has been, given 17 appearances he still couldn't have much less of a goalscoring impact. 

Also shows buying in someone in good goals form doesn't necessarily mean they'll keep it up. 

5 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Do you really think we'd have been able to out bid villa on Grabban? 

In January any good player available is going to have plenty of suitors and we wouldn't be able to match the wages of many of those. I'm sure we had targets we missed out on to other, bigger clubs

we should haved moved quicker for him all this wasted wages sat on the bench or out on loan Engvald Ellison woodrow none of these players come cheap

14 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I think the risk was too big. Too many teams in and around us to take a gamble. If we had been up there with Wolves with a 6-9 point margin then I think we would have seen more activity in January.

We aren't going to break the bank in a gamble to go up. 

Sadly, the players we have as a team cannot find any consistency, we have injuries and some players have completely lost form, or haven't shown any full stop.

This is City. We are used to it.

That 'risk' is never going to not be there unless you buy big in the previous summer and get those buys spot on.

There is always going to be a risk that is required to get promoted from this league, the biggest challenge is the number of teams that have PL money in their pocket and not just the three that were relegated the previous campaign.

At some point we are going to have to take a risk otherwise we are not going to get promotion.

As I have stated before the current strategy is flawed - buy cheap, develop, sell at a profit - rinse and repeat, is a recipe that will not see us in the PL anytime soon.

As an example, let's say that we start next season in The Championship and we start well, by Christmas we are 2/3 ..........it can't get much better than that, so you strengthen because whilst there is risk it's not as big as it could be.................oh, wait a minute!

There does have to be a question mark about the clubs ambition and that has potentially passed on to the players and their efforts since the start of this year.

12 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

The answer to your part of your question there is a yes. Huddersfield used young loanees. The important thing was that the players brought in fitted Huddersfiled's tactics a 4-2-3-1 (a formation you dislike!) with high lines and high energy pressing meaning fit youngsters were needed as a fundamental element. 

Archived