IGNORED

The Diedhiou problem

Londoner

16 minutes ago, NewquayRed said:

Unpopular but valid point, our approach play when you chuck maggers and his long throws into the mix is a complete contrast to some of the seasons earlier performances - I do have to question what our philosophy is these days but hoping we rediscover it this weekend.

add the keepers err touch kicking. two big uns up top. its anti football. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I agree that Pato is no winger. I thought he played well there in some games earlier in the season, but was inconsistent. Now he seems to be poor on the wing in every game. I think if Diedhiou is unavailable, then Pato behind Reid is the best way to go. However I would be playing Diedhiou if he is fit. What you say about Diedhiou needing a partner I don't believe is necessarily true. I think the use of a target man has changed over the last 10 years or so. A target man, especially a fairly pacy one like  Diedhiou is ideal on their own. His best performance was against Fulham when it was the only time he has started a game in the lone role. It means with an extra midfielder we can have any of 4 players getting near him and making runs beyond him, with one doing the sitting in front of the back 4. I think this is the way to go. That Fulham performance showed a bit of everything. Sitting back and defending, hitting on the break, and then we pressed late in the game and should have got the win. That's the kind of side I want to see from now till the end of the season.

Not quite my point. I think since FD has come back we have been looking for him a little earlier,. With Bobby dropping off and FD usually having to fight with a CB to get the ball under control our attacks have slowed (similar to how Kent slows the play) . It's been almost as though we have got to re-learn playing with a normal focal point up front . We were quick, incisive and the movement was great, we've lost that a little. The MF seem less keen to run past FD like they did with Reid up front.
I thought the Fulham game showed hints of getting back to our best .I think Cardiff was poor team selection, trying to match them rather than sticking to what we have been good at. Hopefully Saturday we will start to pass and get the ball down again and see some of what we've enjoyed this season.

4 hours ago, man in the middle said:

Patterson has only lost form after moving out of the number 10 role to a wider position to fit Diedhiou into the stating eleven, 

we do look to have changed our shape and style since he’s come back, but the headache is he scores goals, 

Put Patterson back to a number ten and your see the best out of him again.

I disagree about Paterson, as per post #21.

21 hours ago, Londoner said:

Now a week or so ago I stated on here that Famara, at this point in time, shouldn' be in our starting xi....and obviously I was shot down by the masses.

While there is no argument that he is a good player, who definately has a place in most championship starting xi.s, I firmly believe that ours isn' one of them.

We play fast moving attacking passing football with an emphasis on movement and pressing, something that Famara can do but not do particularly well.

I think LJ has made a mistake in dropping Paterson from the free role and putting in Diedhiou especially after the results we had....people will say diedhiou goals you can't ignore them.....well you can because look at the results.

In all honesty LJ talks a lot of footballing style and his "philosophy", well tbh I am amazed considering the research and price tag that we signed Diedhiou, as we already have an aggressve physical striker in Djuric....granted rarely always fit. I would have spent the same money on someone who would have the attributes more suited to our style of football.

LJ, time to go back to basics with the footballing phiolopahy that you have promoted....get back to passing slick pressing attacking football and don' accommdate someone on the basis of a price tag. 

Absolutely spot on. We developed a style of play out of necessity due to injuries etc. It proved to be very effective (we even beat Man U) and it took us into 2nd place. We had an identity and style which the fans (and neutrals) liked and it brought results.

LJ then abondoned this when Fammy came back from injury and at the sametime introduced new January loanies/signings. This had a two fold affect. Our "style/identity" was ditched and the team spirit has also taken a knock. Somehoe LJ has managed to take something that had such promise and was bringing the results and instead reverted to the awful spectacle we saw in Cardiff. Only LJ could cock things up so completely.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yep agree. We are not as quick and incisive with Diedhiou in the side. If you look how we played in games like Fulham away, boro at home etc, there is no way we could have played like that with Diedhiou up top. But Diedhiou does offer us something completely different. And the problem with Reid up top with Pato was that it stopped working, as teams learnt how to deal with their lack of physicality. I think we have looked at our best when Pato and Reid was working, but by the end everyone was crying out for Diedhiou to return. If he can get the little strike force working again then I'd love to see him go with it.

And the problem with Reid up top with Pato was that it stopped working, as teams learnt how to deal with their lack of physicality

Who were those teams??

but by the end everyone was crying out for Diedhiou to return. If he can get the little strike force working again then I'd love to see him go with it.

eh?? everybody?? the end?? cant think of anybody who went this being second and attempting to play great passing football has to stop. lets go back to being and looking crap.

If Baker is fit I would go:-

Fielding

Wright     Baker     Flint

Pack

Kent        Brownhill      Smith       Bryan

Diedhiou

Reid

So what have we learned today?

1. We don't have to play a long ball game just because Famara is in the team

2. He can play on the ground just as well as he can in the air

Some of his hold up play today was superb, but his passing and layoffs were excellent, and what a great dummy for Bobby's second goal.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

So what have we learned today?

1. We don't have to play a long ball game just because Famara is in the team

2. He can play on the ground just as well as he can in the air

Some of his hold up play today was superb, but his passing and layoffs were excellent, and what a great dummy for Bobby's second goal.

Second best player on the pitch today, his work on and off the ball allowed everything else to flow and no way would Bobby had got 3 without him playing. 

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

eo what have we learned today?.

That one lump up front is better than two for this team to progress. That Bristol City play better with a full back at fullback. This aids the way the team collectively moves the ball. Bristol City are superior side moving the ball to feet .. No surprises. Nothing really learned.

7 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

That one lump up front is better than two for this team to progrrss. That Bristol City play better with a full back at fullback. This aids the way the team collectively moves the ball .. No surprises. Nothing really learned.

The only "lump" on the pitch today was playing in white. Famara is much more than a lump.

Don't think it's Fammy's fault that since his return we have been playing long ball football. It is more a sign of the team's collective loss of form, and also confidence that started before Fammy's return. When players are less than confident they will usually revert to playing the ball long to take the pressure off, even though it usually results in the ball coming back pretty quickly.

The first halves against Sunderland and Leeds should have given us the platform to rebuild form and confidence, but the reverse happened and I was worried that the Cardiff result and performance would signal a dismal tail end of the season. Perhaps we were lucky to come up against a much weakened Wednesday, but credit the team for building on the early goals and showing a return to early season form. Preston will be a real test and if we can show the same against them , then I think we can then regard it as a corner turned.

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The only "lump" on the pitch today was playing in white. Famara is much more than a lump.

Its just a throw away term. Playing one big man up front instead of two led to a significant change in the way the team moved the ball. That was almost inevitable.

21 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Been a very astute signing in my opinions.

I see him being a bit like Heskey.

Heskey was much derided, but Michael Owen looked a far better and more dangerous player playing alongside Heskey fortboth Liverpool and England. Tammy seems to do the same for Bobby and it is easy to overlook that Fammy's own goalscoring record with us is anything but shabby in terms of goals per game.

His injury came at just the wrong time, as he seemed to have found his feet and was getting into his stride in terms of his general play but also his goalscoring. As a front 2, him and Bobby are pretty strong , but also link really well with the midfield and our proper style of play.

Thought he had a decent game today. His part in Bobbys second goal, running across the ball, but letting it run to Bob was excellent I thought. Could easily have looked to gather it and score himself. Also had a hand in the move that led to the penalty. 

Disappointed that he didn't do better from an excellent Aden Flint pass though. 

On 27/02/2018 at 08:51, Londoner said:

Now a week or so ago I stated on here that Famara, at this point in time, shouldn' be in our starting xi....and obviously I was shot down by the masses.

While there is no argument that he is a good player, who definately has a place in most championship starting xi.s, I firmly believe that ours isn' one of them.

We play fast moving attacking passing football with an emphasis on movement and pressing, something that Famara can do but not do particularly well.

I think LJ has made a mistake in dropping Paterson from the free role and putting in Diedhiou especially after the results we had....people will say diedhiou goals you can't ignore them.....well you can because look at the results.

In all honesty LJ talks a lot of footballing style and his "philosophy", well tbh I am amazed considering the research and price tag that we signed Diedhiou, as we already have an aggressve physical striker in Djuric....granted rarely always fit. I would have spent the same money on someone who would have the attributes more suited to our style of football.

LJ, time to go back to basics with the footballing phiolopahy that you have promoted....get back to passing slick pressing attacking football and don' accommdate someone on the basis of a price tag. 

I will disagree with you. Here's why. 

Famara is exactly the type of striker we have been crying out for. He is big, mobile and I will bet most centre half's will not like playing against him. 

He has a presence when he is on the field. He can hold the ball up well. He has the ability to hold up play and bring players into the game in the right areas of the pitch, quickly allowing us to gain the advantage and push hard at defences. 

If we go more direct he is a great outlet. When he was out of the team, the ball would go forward long and end up coming straight back. 

I agree he looks clumsy at times and when it doesn't come off it looks bad. But he has improved week on week. 

Think of the space he creates for Bobby Reid. Fam is one player the opposition can not afford to allow him space. He demands close man marking on all set pieces, Free kicks , goal kicks etc. 

Couple that with his work rate makes him invaluable to our squad. I will agree with you on the point that he could be in different championship teams and Cardiff would be a good example. He is a beast. I would say a Warnock type player. 

I will also point out he is far from match fit. I am guessing that his injury really set him back and he will definitely benefit next season from a full pre-season. 

LJ most be chomping at the bit to see if Duric and Fam can forge a partnership. With Bobby just in behind them. 

I think back to the Birmingham game where he completely wrong footed their defender twice and lashed his shot against the bar. Bobby tapped in. 

QPR - Scored. Instrumental for 2nd

Sunderland - Scored 2

Leeds - Scored

Fulham - his run for first goal took 2 defenders with him. Created space for goal

Cardiff - forget that one

Sheff Wed - his running off the ball help Bobby second. His hold up play in the box and pass to pack created the penalty. He almost got on the end of Brownhills goal. 

They guy has been apart of almost everything attacking. He finds space in the 6 yard area all game. 

He would be number 1 in the team sheet. I don't understand your comment on dropping Patterson for Fam. Two different players in two different roles.

Good debate this 

Stevo

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Heskey was much derided, but Michael Owen looked a far better and more dangerous player playing alongside Heskey fortboth Liverpool and England. Tammy seems to do the same for Bobby and it is easy to overlook that Fammy's own goalscoring record with us is anything but shabby in terms of goals per game.

He don't live here any more!!!

:facepalm:

Archived