IGNORED

My Review of the new AG and some ramblings of a former BCFC exile

DaveInSA

I went to see Wednesday on Saturday, my first game at AG since about 2010 and I remember at that game certain Nicky Maynard being injured and sitting in the Williams stand. And my hasn't he gone on to marvellous things since he didn't want his kids to have a Bristol accent.

Anyway, back to the topic.

The new AG is architecturally impressive, pleasing to the eye and has great facilities. However, it has the atmosphere of a cathedral with a congregation of five. I remember back in 83/84 and the noise coming out of the East End was immense. With 3 times the numbers it was like being at a cricket match. Mumbling conversations with the occasional effort from the singing section.

It was so dull up in the Lansdown stand. Nobody knew the words to come on you reds or at least they failed to sing them. I think I was the only person sending up when Reid was taking his penalty.

I can see why our home performances have sometimes been mediocre - the players must be so busy saying their prayers they forget that they're at a football match. Have football fans changed? Or is our ground not conducive to singing? Or are we all just a little bit too shy? Either way, the club and the supporters forums need to figure out a way to fix it.

And I've seen some absolutely awful teams in my years. And that Sheff Wed team were frankly one of the worst teams I have ever seen, even in the depths of the fourth division. Awful. And they were by far and away louder than the rest of the crowd.

Finally, Boby Reid. What a player.

I agree the atmosphere can be hit and miss but I think maybe after the bad run we've seen and throwing away good leads that maybe fans were a bit nervous. If you went to the Man U game or some of the other games around then you would have witnessed a different Ashton Gate.

Also it's easy to remember the great games and atmosphere but we had quiet games back then too...

On your football fans point, the average age of a match going football fan in UK is now 41 apparently.

This, along with sharply rising prices- and the 2 are far from unconnected- has all contributed in last 20-30 and on a lesser level, last 10-15 years, to the atmosphere which you described Saturday.

On the other hand it CAN still be great... The Manchester game in particular, but all the Cup games good IMO and Villa at home also. 

14 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I went to see Wednesday on Saturday, my first game at AG since about 2010 and I remember at that game certain Nicky Maynard being injured and sitting in the Williams stand. And my hasn't he gone on to marvellous things since he didn't want his kids to have a Bristol accent.

The new AG is architecturally impressive, pleasing to the eye and has great facilities. However, it has the atmosphere of a cathedral with a congregation of five. I remember back in 83/84 and the noise coming out of the East End was immense. With 3 times the numbers it was like being at a cricket match. Mumbling conversations with the occasional effort from the singing section.

It was so dull up in the Lansdown stand. Nobody knew the words to come on you reds or at least they failed to sing them. I think I was the only person sending up when Reid was taking his penalty.

I can see why our home performances have sometimes been mediocre - the players must be so busy saying their prayers they forget that they're at a football match. Have football fans changed? Or is our ground not conducive to singing? Or are we all just a little bit too shy? Either way, the club and the supporters forums need to figure out a way to fix it.

And I've seen some absolutely awful teams in my years. And that Sheff Wed team were frankly one of the worst teams I have ever seen, even in the depths of the fourth division. Awful. And they were by far and away louder than the rest of the crowd.

I haven't been to the gate consistently for years..my uncle and great uncle used to take me with a season ticket back in the days with Bob Taylor and junior bent... I tried getting out of it one Saturday and got a clip round the ear for it..anyway with work and other commitments I've been unable to get down there... But I'm thinking of getting a ST for next season. 

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

A fine summary Sir....you’re spot on, Ashton Gate is silent now compared to the 70s and 80s...

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

she was great in the adams family 

Archived