IGNORED

The Preston North End FC v Bristol City FC Match Day Thread 36

Septic Peg

9 hours ago, hodge said:

No one gets a free pass for that, stupidity in the extreme, if you want to brush him away push him at chest level etc, no he's raised his elbow/arm to Cunningham's face and deserves the ban. No need for him to react and he's often the one trying to do it to the opposition. 

In a game of great stupidity from the manager to several players, I am not defending him I have stated that he was foolish but I still believe that he has earned a free pass on this occasion.

He had his back to the player who then grabbed hold of him, the player then in the true spirit of sportsmanship hit the deck as if he was poleaxed, it wasn’t an elbow it was a flailing hand as he was trying to break free from being held. Was it a red of course it was.

17 minutes ago, RedM said:

I was going to ‘like’ your post until the Wembley bit. :sad26:

Serious question for you and other PNE fans, do you see your style and gamesmanship as ugly but effective, you put up with it as it gets results. Are you as cynical against everyone else or do we seem to get special treatment for some reason. I can’t belive you have got to where you are playing so ugly. You used to be a good footballing team, admired and respected, what happened? It’s such a shame, to think if you aren’t careful you will end up like Cardiff. 

They play some alright stuff, but they’ve got to be second only to Cardiff for the cynical, win at all costs shithousery. 

I don’t mind a bit of gamesmanship and it’s necessary to a certain extent, but if we ever took it to that level I’d be pretty dissapointed.  

39 minutes ago, Markred said:

Yes I did, 3 hours there three hours back.. 

sorry if that previous post came across bad I’m just fed up. The atmosphere is not what it used to be at all! Even at home we’re getting record high attendances but the atmosphere is dire. Maybe that happens the more success a team has I don’t know 

fair play,  sorry they didn't win for you.

2 hours ago, Missionary said:

Went last night and had a deep sense of foreboding about the game. Lose and we're 6 points adrift. It really was a must win game for us and even a point doesn't close the gap.

I thought the difference between the teams was four mistakes. Two our and two yours.

The confusion between Fielding and Magnússon led to the first chance which a born again Alan Browne took brilliantly.

The second was our centre half switching off and your No 9 getting in front of him to score.

The third was Browne losing the ball in front of our goal but Paterson not being able to capitalise.

The fourth was your defence underestimating Maguire who beat them for pace then checked back and created space for a clinical finish.

Both keepers made worldie saves. How Fielding kept out Cunningham's header I'll never know.

I was at the other end of the ground so didn't see the issue with Flint but watched the highlights on Sky and whatever the provocation you just don't throw your arm in the face of an opponent. At that point of the game it just created a further problem for you beyond last night's game. It was un-neccesary.

For what it's worth I think we'll both struggle to make the Play Offs as I'm not sure you can look beyond the top 6 now. I might change my mind if we beat Fulham on saturday!

On an optimistic note we'll see you at Wembley! 

Great observations.............and an unbiased viewpoint, thanks.

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

**** sake what do you want 20 ******* defenders on the squad . Clueless 

Clueless? You mean I'm cluesless when most clubs who are in the top half have competition for all positions whilst we don't even have an established left back? Now I know people will say Bryan but he's a midfielder, you only have to watch him play to see that, he's a go forward first, think defending second player. 

Magnússon is not good enough as a LB or CB and I honestly belive the only reason we still have him is because we lack numbers in defence and because of his giant throw. Wright is a good back up option for CB but in no way good enough to play RB in a promotion chasing team. Pisano has been injured for 26 games and will walk back into the team even without match fitness... why? Because there is no competition for that position. 

So with your 20 defenders comment, no I don't expect 20 defenders but I would expect enough quality between 7-8 defenders to have adequate competition for places in the starting line up. 2 RB's, 2 left backs and 3-4 CB's is adequate depth and competition. Currently we have 0 LB's, we have an LM (who is now suspended)  and a not so great CB playing there. We have 1 RB who is 30 and coming back off of an injury and 4 CB's, one is not good enough for this level, one is suspended and one is injured..... but yeah I'm clueless, I mean we obviously  have the depth and quality.... 

I am glad that Holden did the post match interview, he is better at this than LJ, I suspect that not for the first when he is under pressure he would have said the wrong thing, just like he did last year at Preston.

The most worrying aspect for me is considering our poor form recently, none of his January window signings started the game and Eliasson must be absolutely pissed right off at his lack of opportunity, I wouldn't mind betting he has released what a big mistake he has made coming to BCFC.

Magnússon, Engvall, Taylor, Garita, Hegeler and even possibly Eliasson himself need to be moved on and Woodrow, Kent and Diony sent back to whence they came, but the most important thing is to properly reward Bobby Reid, we need to keep him.

5 hours ago, RedM said:

I was going to ‘like’ your post until the Wembley bit. :sad26:

Serious question for you and other PNE fans, do you see your style and gamesmanship as ugly but effective, you put up with it as it gets results. Are you as cynical against everyone else or do we seem to get special treatment for some reason. I can’t belive you have got to where you are playing so ugly. You used to be a good footballing team, admired and respected, what happened? It’s such a shame, to think if you aren’t careful you will end up like Cardiff. 

To be fair we were the victim of it v wolves. We’d got the game won at home v them but that cavalier guy goes down as Welsh brushes past him. Second yellow, he’s off and we draw.

last night maguire collapsed to his knees in the box. He wasn’t diving but the ref booked him. Until we get some consistency all teams will try to influence the ref. Your lads did it last night, all clubs do it. Game management or shithousing?

id rather see a committed team desperate to win (Rudd our gk ran the length of the field to celebrate our third at Bolton with his mates) rather than the pushovers we’ve been for years.

17 hours ago, Markred said:

Absolute dogshit that.  Our team have busted their bollocks this season and only 405 can travel to Preston.  Embarrassing. The sags took 356 to Oldham on a Tuesday night after not winning in 10 and being 19th! Let’s hope they don’t get a new ground to replace that s**thole of theirs! 

Gas Guzzler not working last night?

5 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I am glad that Holden did the post match interview, he is better at this than LJ, I suspect that not for the first when he is under pressure he would have said the wrong thing, just like he did last year at Preston.

The most worrying aspect for me is considering our poor form recently, none of his January window signings started the game and Eliasson must be absolutely pissed right off at his lack of opportunity, I wouldn't mind betting he has released what a big mistake he has made coming to BCFC.

Magnússon, Engvall, Taylor, Garita, Hegeler and even possibly Eliasson himself need to be moved on and Woodrow, Kent and Diony sent back to whence they came, but the most important thing is to properly reward Bobby Reid, we need to keep him.

I made the same point last night in my "Lack of striker options topic". Shocking how we had nobody that LJ trusted other than Diony (no comment) to bring on to influence the game up front in our favour. Unlike PNE who brought on McGuire off the bench to score the winner.

Hope Duric is fit for Saturday, only positive option IMO to come off the bench if needed.

COYR 

• Admin
9 hours ago, Markred said:

Yes I did, 3 hours there three hours back.. 

sorry if that previous post came across bad I’m just fed up. The atmosphere is not what it used to be at all! Even at home we’re getting record high attendances but the atmosphere is dire. Maybe that happens the more success a team has I don’t know 

I think it’s more to do with the changing face of football, the money washing into the game, the sanitisation.  I can recall being in the ground years ago, when I would say most in there had few pints before the game, a smoke in the ground, a good old rant and swear and if you wanted to discuss the game after you had to go to the pub, no social media.

The world is changing, football is changing, maybe the primeval, tribal affect football had on crowds of like minded people is lessening as the demographic of those attending changes.  Some might think it’s changing for the better, others may think differently, it’s a very different experience than 30 or 40 years ago.

8 hours ago, Spike said:

Clueless? You mean I'm cluesless when most clubs who are in the top half have competition for all positions whilst we don't even have an established left back? Now I know people will say Bryan but he's a midfielder, you only have to watch him play to see that, he's a go forward first, think defending second player. 

Magnússon is not good enough as a LB or CB and I honestly belive the only reason we still have him is because we lack numbers in defence and because of his giant throw. Wright is a good back up option for CB but in no way good enough to play RB in a promotion chasing team. Pisano has been injured for 26 games and will walk back into the team even without match fitness... why? Because there is no competition for that position. 

So with your 20 defenders comment, no I don't expect 20 defenders but I would expect enough quality between 7-8 defenders to have adequate competition for places in the starting line up. 2 RB's, 2 left backs and 3-4 CB's is adequate depth and competition. Currently we have 0 LB's, we have an LM (who is now suspended)  and a not so great CB playing there. We have 1 RB who is 30 and coming back off of an injury and 4 CB's, one is not good enough for this level, one is suspended and one is injured..... but yeah I'm clueless, I mean we obviously  have the depth and quality.... 

I’ll agree with lack of cover for right back but the rest is rubbish imo. Joe’s transformation from last season at left back has been very good. Last season he switched off and wasn’t positionally good. This season a complete contrast and is one of the best left backs in the league. Magnússon plays there for Iceland and we also have a young up and coming LB in kelly. We have 4 CB’s in wright, flint, baker and Magnússon. You would only go into a season with two in every position. RB excepted we have that cover and as for saying about a promotion chasing team. At the start of this season we’d had back to back relegation battles,  all most of us wanted was to not be threatened with relegation again this term , and with the addition of baker we had a good enough defence not to be troubled at the bottom end of the table. Not one person thought we’d be where we are . It’s a gradual progression and we were never going to have a defence in place with the quality to challenge for a sustained automatic promotion push, we don’t pay the wages . Calling you clueless was basically your left back comment more than anything. 

2 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Djuric is a donkey. We are supposed to play football.  

This takes the biscuit. If Djuric wasn't very obviously injury prone there is no way that he'd be playing at Bristol City. A very important player if fit.

Archived