IGNORED

Auf Wiedersehen Pat

Dorset_Cider

Pat Roach...... the actor famous for playing 'Bomber' a west country builder in the long running series 'Auf Weidersehn Pet' has died after a long battle with Cancer.

I remember a year or two ago some of us had a bit of a debate going on regarding some remarks in the show about which team 'Bomber' supported, was it Bristol City or Rovers.

We even had people getting out old videos of the show to check!

I believe that we found the answer...... in the show the only reference to Bristol football was that 'Bomber' was more a 'City' man than a Rovers man!

My heart felt regards go out to his family over his passing.

Pat Roach..... What a guy!

He wore a Rovers top on one of the auf Weidersehn Pet episodes and i dont think he was attually bristolian, sad news though

No he was a Brum, I think.

But how many mentions of any Bristol football club have you seen or heard :D

in a TV program?

Pat was also a Champion Wrestler at one time

Only Fools and Horses :)

Although I never actually watched the programme he sounded like a great guy

Do you know what...... you have just reminded me that we got a mention in 'Eastenders' many moons ago.

I can't recall the character but it was 'Rickaays' mates family that left the Eastend.... for the bright lights of Bristol.

The 'Rickaay' geezer was taking the mick out of 'Bristol City FC'..... I think.

Maybe some anorak could tell us more :D

Do you know what...... you have just reminded me that we got a mention in 'Eastenders' many moons ago.

I can't recall the character but it was 'Rickaays' mates family that left the Eastend.... for the bright lights of Bristol.

The 'Rickaay' geezer was taking the mick out of 'Bristol City FC'..... I think.

Maybe some anorak could tell us more  :D

Now I wonder who we know that's involved in Eastenders scripts?

I remember seeing an episode of Teachers once where one of the blokes was talking to his class and some kid replied "Bristol City" and they all started laughing. Presumably they were taking the mickey out of us although I don't know what it was about, I wasn't really paying attention until the kid said it. Can anyone else remember?

I remember seeing an episode of Teachers once where one of the blokes was talking to his class and some kid replied "Bristol City" and they all started laughing. Presumably they were taking the mickey out of us although I don't know what it was about, I wasn't really paying attention until the kid said it. Can anyone else remember?

If I remember its on about what the kid wanted to do when older... To be fair i think they mentiond Rovers as well. I might dig out the DVD to check :laugh:

In the first series of AW Pet, Nev said something like "better than Bristol Rovers!".

Bomber repliesm, "I'm a City man,always have been and always will be."

That was in the days of ITV.

In the third series (BBC) he was wearing a Rovers shirt which was quite distressing.

He also played a villain in one of the Bond films, can't remember which one though.

Top bloke.

My thoughts are with his loved ones.

John Cleese was doing a wildlife program on chimps a couple of years ago and mentioned that his heroes growing up included the Bristol City team of the 50s ...

But my favourite ever mention of City goes way back to the 70s to he legendary Panorama documentary on Millwall's notorious F Troop hooligan crew. One of the little darlings was being interviewed about who he hated most and he said something like "Bristol City - ##cking Northerners" ... oh how we laughed.

Archived