IGNORED

The power of hindsight

Williams' Penalty

Today it seems the biggest scapegoat for the poor performance is the transfer window, and LJ and MA's decisions within that period. 

A few threads and comments about the transfer window have made for interesting reading, and I remember MM wrote a particularly good post about the poor transfer window under G. Johnson and how we have made the same, or similar mistakes, this season.

Personally, I completely disagree with this sentiment. Everyone loves the big names and the experienced players that slot straight in to score goals, and because our transfer window didn't deliver this, it was automatically rubbish.

Nonsense. Liam Walsh, for instance, what an exciting prospect he is. Really fits into our philosophy of developing players which i love, looking at Kelly's decent performance today confirmed my faith in this model. Liam Walsh type signings are what we need for sustainable development.

On top of that, many people were very happy with Ryan Kent as a loan signing, and Diony- he was a punt on loan and didn't work out, it happens. No one could have guessed he would be as poor as he has been so far.

But actually, is a lack of a striker really responsible for our poor run of form? I think Reid and Fammy have been doing more than enough.

Football fans are fickle, they want immediate success and huge signings as long as the expenditure on these players comes out of the owners pockets, not theirs. Just look at the outrage caused over the season ticket pricing (which I support for the record, but I support it with an understanding that lower prices mean less expensive players.) Steve has pumped more than enough money into the club, we can't expect him to go out spending more and abandoning our club philosophy due to a high league posiion in December.

IMO this run of form also runs a lot deeper than weaknesses in the squad (bar a RB perhaps) and is to do not with the quality of our players, but our players and managers not achieving their best for some reason or another. If our current set of players was good enough to beat Man U, they should be good enough to beat Burton!

Please stop blaming the transfer window for our run of form, stop criticising the board for not spending huge amounts of money. Get behind the Bristol city philosophy, it will pay off, maybe not this season, but it is a long term strategy we should all support.

(As an aside, even if we did make big signings in the January window, they don't guarantee success, I think Arsenal is the best example of this. Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang and no real improvement in results as of yet. Also look at Sanchez at Man U, hasn't exactly looked great.)

I don't think anyone seriously believes the transfer window was the primary cause of our loss of form since Christmas - we still have the nucleus of the side that was chasing top spots before Christmas.

I would have said it's our inability to learn from mistakes, whether its the constant defensive errors, chopping and changing the team again and again [just like last year] this time to accommodate new players, when in fact we had arguably stumbled on the right formation, not making the subs and tactical changes to see out games [see Juventus and Man Utd this week before anyone suggests LJ is ready for a big job].

The Transfer window is a diversion - its our set up and immaturity that is crucifying us.

The january window was mot easy to get players said LJ in the beginning of jan. Kent and the french striker seems to flop, its a gamble. The run is bad at the moment and the game yesterday was awful but we got one point. Still nine games to play and we still can be topsix. Pisano and Odowda are two reasons that we dont have been taken so many points lately. The cup took lot of energi and the team has became tired. Really hope we can find the gear again and be strong rest of the season. COYR!!!

Instead of playing our way and letting others worry about us, we've allowed the scenario to reverse. 

We make unforgivable, simple mistakes. Much of the time we are in capable of making a basic pass. My god, the number of mistakes we make is mind-boggling.

That tells me the problem is as much between the ears as anything else. 

8 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I don't think anyone seriously believes the transfer window was the primary cause of our loss of form since Christmas - we still have the nucleus of the side that was chasing top spots before Christmas.

I would have said it's our inability to learn from mistakes, whether its the constant defensive errors, chopping and changing the team again and again [just like last year] this time to accommodate new players, when in fact we had arguably stumbled on the right formation, not making the subs and tactical changes to see out games [see Juventus and Man Utd this week before anyone suggests LJ is ready for a big job].

The Transfer window is a diversion - its our set up and immaturity that is crucifying us.

and the nucleus of that side [Fielding, Flint, Bryan, Smith, Reid, Pack ... & Baker if you accept the argument that he was a known quantity from his previous spell] were all here before LJ.

LJ has been backed in the transfer market like no previous manager in the history of the football club.

His successes in the market in IMO: Pisano, Brownhill, Diedhiou, O'Dowda, Paterson, Djuric, Magnússon and perhaps Wright [I'm not a fan of the uncultured Aussie!]. Of course you have to add Tammy to that.

Waste of a wage: Taylor, Woodrow, Engvall, Eliasson, Hegeler, ONeil [sick note], Diony, Kent - probable aggregate weekly wage cost £120k - £6M++ over 12 months

I have said in previous posts that money has been spunked away on quantity not quality

I agree WP. And mid season transfer windows are notoriously difficult anyway. For the most part 'selling' clubs hold all the cards, and anyone who's on any sort of form is not going to be let go. 

We had a great summer transfer window, and with a similar level of success this summer, plus a little more luck with injuries, we'll have a squad next season I think will look really strong. 

13 hours ago, Williams' Penalty said:

Today it seems the biggest scapegoat for the poor performance is the transfer window, and LJ and MA's decisions within that period. 

A few threads and comments about the transfer window have made for interesting reading, and I remember MM wrote a particularly good post about the poor transfer window under G. Johnson and how we have made the same, or similar mistakes, this season.

Personally, I completely disagree with this sentiment. Everyone loves the big names and the experienced players that slot straight in to score goals, and because our transfer window didn't deliver this, it was automatically rubbish.

Nonsense. Liam Walsh, for instance, what an exciting prospect he is. Really fits into our philosophy of developing players which i love, looking at Kelly's decent performance today confirmed my faith in this model. Liam Walsh type signings are what we need for sustainable development.

On top of that, many people were very happy with Ryan Kent as a loan signing, and Diony- he was a punt on loan and didn't work out, it happens. No one could have guessed he would be as poor as he has been so far.

But actually, is a lack of a striker really responsible for our poor run of form? I think Reid and Fammy have been doing more than enough.

Football fans are fickle, they want immediate success and huge signings as long as the expenditure on these players comes out of the owners pockets, not theirs. Just look at the outrage caused over the season ticket pricing (which I support for the record, but I support it with an understanding that lower prices mean less expensive players.) Steve has pumped more than enough money into the club, we can't expect him to go out spending more and abandoning our club philosophy due to a high league posiion in December.

IMO this run of form also runs a lot deeper than weaknesses in the squad (bar a RB perhaps) and is to do not with the quality of our players, but our players and managers not achieving their best for some reason or another. If our current set of players was good enough to beat Man U, they should be good enough to beat Burton!

Please stop blaming the transfer window for our run of form, stop criticising the board for not spending huge amounts of money. Get behind the Bristol city philosophy, it will pay off, maybe not this season, but it is a long term strategy we should all support.

(As an aside, even if we did make big signings in the January window, they don't guarantee success, I think Arsenal is the best example of this. Mkhitaryan and Aubameyang and no real improvement in results as of yet. Also look at Sanchez at Man U, hasn't exactly looked great.)

You should have made this thread before.

35 minutes ago, swanker said:

I don’t know what I think about our January transfer activity. What I do know is that striker who’s gone to Fulham on loan has made a massive difference to their prospects of going up. What an impact he made to that side. 

Thats the thing with loans Some work some dont

I would not of been to excited if Mitorvic had come to us

never set the world alight at Newcastle

Archived