IGNORED

Tonights games

Super

43 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The new ground thing is overstated. Look at Bournemouth and Burnley. Huddersfield’s stadium was built in 1994!

So, Reading were about to enjoy the best years in their history at Elm Park if the Mad didn't happen? I don't think so!

And Swansea at the Vetch? Wigan at Springfield Park? Brighton at (take your pick)?

You're young, you don't remember these grounds!

44 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

It is a possibility, but not a realistic one. 

Not every parent wants their child to move to Southampton as their academy expect them to after a given timescale.

Being at your local club is an attraction. Bristol City by doing things better, being player centred / holistic, offering more 1-2-1 coaching hours City can offer more than Cat 1 academies do. Cat 1 is a framework that clubs have to adhere to, it is not all. 

I'm referring to the kids already at our academy like Herbie Kane and Rolando Aarons for example.

13 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Struggling to get behind the team at the moment. We have kamikazi'd the playoffs.

I hate to say it, but that's exactly why the team need our support at present.

Easy to sing when we're winning. Great clubs have crowds who lift them during the dodgy moments. 

13 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Struggling to get behind the team at the moment. We have kamikazi'd the playoffs.

You're struggling to get behind our team that is having one of our best seasons in nearly 40 years?

All because we are 3 points outside the playoffs.

That is beyond pathetic.

22 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I'm referring to the kids already at our academy like Herbie Kane and Rolando Aarons for example.

Roland Aarons was released.

Herbie Kane ... One player does not equal clubs continuing to steal our best youngsters.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

Major, you make some sweeping statements there.

Brighton's "reality" was, following promotion to the Championship in 2011, finishing:

10th

4th

6th

20th

3rd

2nd.

So, they started well, then went "backwards," then went forward, suffered a shattering blow in 2016 (missed out on 2nd by a couple of goals, then lost in play offs), then got it right. At the sixth attempt.

All this without parachute payments.

So I have to question the "reality" you refer to there.

West Brom, famously, went forwards and backwards for years.

Following promotion to the Championship in 2000, Burnley finished 7th, 7th, 16th, 19th, 13th, 17th, 15th, 13th, then 5th before gaining promotion. Backwards and forwards, all over the shop. Then, in the Championship again for four years from 2011, it was 8th, 13th, 11th, 2nd.

This season, despite current poor form, we will finish with more points than the last two Championship seasons and showing a fourth successive climb up the 92 pyramid.

Is your "reality" based more on what you have witnessed at AG, from 2008, for example, and perhaps 1991, based more on the contents of your fragile mind, if I may be so impertinent, rather than, er, reality (as opposed to, "reality")?

All I wish to point out is simply that we do not, and cannot, know what will happen in the future. I'm not saying we will be as good or better next season, I simply do not know. But neither do you. And I suggest the concrete "truths" about sport you perhaps use to inform your catastrophic prediction for the future are misguided, and do not stand up to scrutiny.

I'm sorry my post was a bit heavy it's really not my nature to be pessimistic.

Despite all the many good things going on at the club at the moment without success our returns will diminish.

Do you really feel that we will have a better chance next year ? or the season after ? or maybe within the next five to ten years ? 

I just see the rich getting richer and the others sweeping up the crumbs . 

I have a general frustration with how football has become . 

The fantasy and romance that we as supporters had as kids has largely been extinguished with the obscene amounts of money paid by the broadcasting companies and the big clubs holding the smaller ones to ransom with their  regulations on transfers etc which is squeezing the lifeblood out of the sport.

I'm not sure anyone at BCFC  really believes that we will go up . It has been so long . It is like an impossible dream.

I prefer it when I can make jokes but this makes me sad and angry .

27 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

So, Reading were about to enjoy the best years in their history at Elm Park if the Mad didn't happen? I don't think so!

And Swansea at the Vetch? Wigan at Springfield Park? Brighton at (take your pick)?

You're young, you don't remember these grounds!

I lived in Swansea between 2001-2004 and went to the Vetch countless times.  There's no need to patronise me. 

I'm not saying a new ground doesn't make the difference or doesn't act as a catalyst for some clubs; it does.  I'm simply saying the requirement to have the right infrastructure to enable you to get to the PL is overstated and isn't necessarily a barrier; Bournemouth and Burnley both prove that.  Likewise Blackpool and Portsmouth in relatively recent history have made it to the top division despite modest stadiums.  Indeed, we ourselves came within one Dean Windass goal of making it despite our very dated facilities at the time.

2 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

So is our current form pal

So you think not getting behind the team will have a positive impact how?

We're in better form than Derby and only 2 worse than Wolves over the last 5 games. All teams have bad spells.

Next up is Ipswich, who are in worse form over their last 3 games. Barnsley, worse over the last 4 games, Brentford, worse over their last 3 games.

Add in Brum who have lost their last 5 and there's plenty of points to be had.

Youre justifying a pathetic mentality because we're in poor form and disregarding the good form that has lasted most of the season? Baffling.

43 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I lived in Swansea between 2001-2004 and went to the Vetch countless times.  There's no need to patronise me. 

I'm not saying a new ground doesn't make the difference or doesn't act as a catalyst for some clubs; it does.  I'm simply saying the requirement to have the right infrastructure to enable you to get to the PL is overstated and isn't necessarily a barrier; Bournemouth and Burnley both prove that.  Likewise Blackpool and Portsmouth in relatively recent history have made it to the top division despite modest stadiums.  Indeed, we ourselves came within one Dean Windass goal of making it despite our very dated facilities at the time.

Yes, we lost out to Hull, another club who were transformed by a move to a modern ground. Good example! And they went on to have two spells in the PL and reached a cup final. Prior to moving from their old ground, they'd never played at the top level, 

I didn't say a new or modenised ground was absolutely necessary, just that it has served as a catalyst for many clubs to reach the top, many of whom were a milluon miles away from achieving this level of football. It seems to help, and it appears to be giving us something that we didn't have in the old AG.

56 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Despite all the many good things going on at the club at the moment without success our returns will diminish.

Do you really feel that we will have a better chance next year ? or the season after ? or maybe within the next five to ten years ? 

The fantasy and romance that we as supporters had as kids has largely been extinguished with the obscene amounts of money paid by the broadcasting companies and the big clubs holding the smaller ones to ransom with their  regulations on transfers etc which is squeezing the lifeblood out of the sport.

I'm not sure anyone at BCFC  really believes that we will go up . It has been so long . It is like an impossible dream.

No need to apologise!

Do I really feel we will have a better chance next year? I don't know either way, but I am happy to wait and see, and not yet ready to catastrophise based on this recent slump.

Remember, we slumped more last season, and Johnson/Ashton/SL found a way through and out of that. And then we progressed. It is possible they might do the same, and then go into next season having finished 7th, 8th, 9th or 10th, whereas this season we went into it on the back of finishing 17th.

The possibilities are, if not endless, at least many. The future is not written. It is tantalisingly unpredictable.

They were not too bad for us IMO.

Wolves won, Villa lost, Cardiff won...well automatic is out of reach so that's irrelevant in a sense.

What was good- though I hate Cardiff and have no time for Warnock- is that Brentford losing means they are now looking a bit adrift in midtable. Ipswich losing and Barnsley drawing, well the same now applies there. Only real disappointment- though hardly a surprise- was Sheff Utd overtaking us with win v Burton.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wolves won, Villa lost, Cardiff won...well automatic is out of reach so that's irrelevant in a sense.

What was good- though I hate Cardiff and have no time for Warnock- is that Brentford losing means they are now looking a bit adrift in midtable. Ipswich losing and Barnsley drawing, well the same now applies there. Only real disappointment- though hardly a surprise- was Sheff Utd overtaking us with win v Burton.

Never saw them as a play off threat myself ;)

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This was important IMO. Had they won they could gone level with us if they beat us on Saturday.

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

But this is what happened in 2008. It' much easier if you just accept the club for what it is and let Lansdown get on with it.

He's not for changing.

Archived