IGNORED

The Atyeo - ticket suggestion

Bar BS3

So, The Atyeo stand. Rarely fully utilised by visiting supporters. When it is, then fine - keep it as it currently is. 

However, for 15..? Games a season, where initial allocations are not sold, how about opening it up and banging out £20 POTD sales for Home fans..? Maybe they can’t because of pricing rules relating to Away fans. Ok, fair enough. 

Then what about forgetting extended allocation for the few away teams that need it and bang out £230 season tickets for those that may now be priced out in the “Nicer” parts of the ground. 

Not for S82 to relocate. Not for people who want a bar built underneath, just plain, simple, cheap no frills tickets for those that want them..? 

I don’t think it would lose revenue, but not letting the 5 teams who need it have it. It’s good for PR ie promote ST’s “from £230” 

Keep people coming who may not otherwise be able to afford to commit, but want too. 

Just and idea..! @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

1 minute ago, marmite said:

Good idea but I bet there is a million reasons why the club cannot do it.

There really can’t be. It was done last season..! 

Going by the post of some on here, surely it’s better/easier to keep existing supporters who haven’t/can’t renew, than attract new ones. Even if it’s introduced after the renewal deadline, so that people don’t just “downgrade” if they might have renewed anyway. Then offer the cheap seats to keep hold of people who simply couldn’t afford to renew. 

38 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

So, The Atyeo stand. Rarely fully utilised by visiting supporters. When it is, then fine - keep it as it currently is. 

However, for 15..? Games a season, where initial allocations are not sold, how about opening it up and banging out £20 POTD sales for Home fans..? Maybe they can’t because of pricing rules relating to Away fans. Ok, fair enough. 

Then what about forgetting extended allocation for the few away teams that need it and bang out £230 season tickets for those that may now be priced out in the “Nicer” parts of the ground. 

Not for S82 to relocate. Not for people who want a bar built underneath, just plain, simple, cheap no frills tickets for those that want them..? 

I don’t think it would lose revenue, but not letting the 5 teams who need it have it. It’s good for PR ie promote ST’s “from £230” 

Keep people coming who may not otherwise be able to afford to commit, but want too. 

Good post - I’d go even further and make it a tenner for POTD in there...we need to get people through the turnstiles...

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Good post - I’d go even further and make it a tenner for POTD in there...we need to get people through the turnstiles...

“Twenty’s plenty” so everyone seems to say. 

10 percent allocation to away, segregation and the rest to home fans. Mix of POTD and ST I reckon.

10 quid tickets...Brilliant idea. I'd love to see it- in theory!

However, isn't there a rule about ticket prices and correlation with away tickets? If there is such a rule, it would make 10 pound tickets problematic....20 seems reasonable in the context of English football!

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

10 percent allocation to away, segregation and the rest to home fans. Mix of POTD and ST I reckon.

10 quid tickets...Brilliant idea. I'd love to see it- in theory!

However, isn't there a rule about ticket prices and correlation with away tickets? If there is such a rule, it would make 10 pound tickets problematic....20 seems reasonable in the context of English football!

Yes, as I said inmy OP, that’s probably why they’d need to be season tickets, if done cheaply. 

I personally don’t think that cheap POTD should be made a priority. Give the best deals to those who are willing to commit to all 23 games. 

OR... even bang the Atyeo allocation out on the idea mentioned on another thread. The 5/10 game tickets. £50/100 per bundle. First come first served. No frills, no extras, not even cup priority, if seats are needed for away fans. Just cheap tickets for those who otherwise can’t afford to go. It almost sounds too simple, but why not..?!

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, as I said inmy OP, that’s probably why they’d need to be season tickets, if done cheaply. 

I personally don’t think that cheap POTD should be made a priority. Give the best deals to those who are willing to commit to all 23 games. 

OR... even bang the Atyeo allocation out on the idea mentioned on another thread. The 5/10 game tickets. £50/100 per bundle. First come first served. No frills, no extras, not even cup priority, if seats are needed for away fans. Just cheap tickets for those who otherwise can’t afford to go. It almost sounds too simple, but why not..?!

It will be hard to judge steward numbers etc in that area, police etc.

it really isn’t worth the club doing it 

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I tend to agree with this.

Just now, AshtonPark said:

It will be hard to judge steward numbers etc in that area, police etc.

it really isn’t worth the club doing it 

It’s easy to judge. There must be a simple 1:100 ratio, or whatever it might be. Also much easier to police if they are all STH. Any trouble and tickets get cancelled. Like anywhere else in the ground. 

23 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Speak for yourself mate! And never correct a post of mine again, or I’ll throw a hissy fit, like a Rovers fan faced with a big number 17, suspended over a tv showing highlights of City beating Man Utd, it’s one of my pet hates when people do that!!

PS: or were you referring to the ladies in there?!

Sorry. 

16 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I like the idea in terms of given a no frills ST at an affordable price.

Just so you are aware the club had to get special dispensation from the Safety Advisory Group and Police to allow home fans in there for the games against Manchester United and Manchester City. This is because the Atyeo is classed as an away fans stand by SAG. 

Before the club would be able to review this, SAG would need to review the Atyeo stand and look at the risk of making it a mixed  home & away fan stand. There are also other operational considerations such as increased stewarding and policing costs that would also need to be taken into account. 

I will discuss internally with key teams. 

Matt 

1 hour ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

I like the idea in terms of given a no frills ST at an affordable price.

Just so you are aware the club had to get special dispensation from the Safety Advisory Group and Police to allow home fans in there for the games against Manchester United and Manchester City. This is because the Atyeo is classed as an away fans stand by SAG. 

Before the club would be able to review this, SAG would need to review the Atyeo stand and look at the risk of making it a mixed  home & away fan stand. There are also other operational considerations such as increased stewarding and policing costs that would also need to be taken into account. 

I will discuss internally with key teams. 

Matt 

I’m aware that SAG would need to change their approval slightly, but the Atyeo was split Home/away fans as recently as last season, so surely can’t be a big obstruction..?

To aid with policing who’s in there, surely being full of STH, rather than POTD, where you have the details of every occupant, makes it just about as safe as it can possibly be. 

Just because people need cheap tickets, doesn’t mean to say that they will behave any differently to others around the ground. The point is that they will be IN the ground, rather than priced out of it! 

I hope something can be done, rather than seeing banks of empty seats every game, apart from the odd few away teams that sell the whole end out. 

Thanks. 

25 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’m aware that SAG would need to change their approval slightly, but the Atyeo was split Home/away fans as recently as last season, so surely can’t be a big obstruction..?

To aid with policing who’s in there, surely being full of STH, rather than POTD, where you have the details of every occupant, makes it just about as safe as it can possibly be. 

Just because people need cheap tickets, doesn’t mean to say that they will behave any differently to others around the ground. The point is that they will be IN the ground, rather than priced out of it! 

I hope something can be done, rather than seeing banks of empty seats every game, apart from the odd few away teams that sell the whole end out. 

Thanks. 

BarBS3 , when home and Away fans were swapped when in the Atyeo, and then now it is purely away fans. That was all SAGs doing. 

30 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

BarBS3 , when home and Away fans were swapped when in the Atyeo, and then now it is purely away fans. That was all SAGs doing. 

I don’t think the fact it’s all away fans is the SAGS “doing”. It made sense to have S82 where they are now. 

SAG did decide on swapping home and away fans around in Atyeo, I believe. Either way, it CAN be split. It HAS been split and the stand is set up to safely accomodate it. 

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don’t think the fact it’s all away fans is the SAGS “doing”. It made sense to have S82 where they are now. 

SAG did decide on swapping home and away fans around in Atyeo, I believe. Either way, it CAN be split. It HAS been split and the stand is set up to safely accomodate it. 

SAG wanted home fans out of the stand and settled for a swap of the sides. 

When there are so many empty seats now and a pricing method for the season tickets set by the club I can’t see how it will benefit them doing it.

Also, what would the uptake be in there? 1000? Surely not that many are interested . 

12 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

SAG wanted home fans out of the stand and settled for a swap of the sides. 

When there are so many empty seats now and a pricing method for the season tickets set by the club I can’t see how it will benefit them doing it.

Also, what would the uptake be in there? 1000? Surely not that many are interested . 

I suppose it depends IF there actually IS a problem with people being priced out, or if it’s a storm in a teacup, created by a few people on here..?

I’ve based the idea on what seems a commonly voiced issue on here. That certainly doesn’t confirm that it’s an issue in reality, I agree. 

I guess we won’t know until season ticket renewal numbers are released. 

A significant drop would suggest that a solution such as this MIGHT be popular and needed. Anywhere within 5-10% of last season’s comparable sales and no, it’s probably not worth it and the big problems suggested on here are not actually much of a reality for many. 

We shall see, but I think it could/should be considered - if only to attract people who can’t afford a ST generally, let alone renew one. 

36 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I suppose it depends IF there actually IS a problem with people being priced out, or if it’s a storm in a teacup, created by a few people on here..?

I’ve based the idea on what seems a commonly voiced issue on here. That certainly doesn’t confirm that it’s an issue in reality, I agree. 

I guess we won’t know until season ticket renewal numbers are released. 

A significant drop would suggest that a solution such as this MIGHT be popular and needed. Anywhere within 5-10% of last season’s comparable sales and no, it’s probably not worth it and the big problems suggested on here are not actually much of a reality for many. 

We shall see, but I think it could/should be considered - if only to attract people who can’t afford a ST generally, let alone renew one. 

It's a problem for football in the UK as a whole. Of course people have been priced out- they clearly have! Over 15, 20, 30 years.Look at the makeup of crowds, look at aging fanbases in the UK- part of that is down to demographics yes, but part is down to pricing out IMO.

Don't look at our club in isolation on this, it's clearly an issue which can dilute atmosphere tbh. Maybe it's a debate for another thread in whole, but to act like people aren't priced out or haven't been down the years...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41901398

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's a problem for football in the UK as a whole. Of course people have been priced out- they clearly have! Over 15, 20, 30 years.Look at the makeup of crowds, look at aging fanbases in the UK- part of that is down to demographics yes, but part is down to pricing out IMO.

Don't look at our club in isolation on this, it's clearly an issue which can dilute atmosphere tbh. Maybe it's a debate for another thread in whole, but to act like people aren't priced out or haven't been down the years...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41901398

I’m certainly not saying that SOME people haven’t been priced out. Indeed, this thread is trying to find a solution to that... however, crowds (ours) are at a 40 year high! 

What backs up your argument that people are being priced out, when more people are coming than have been for 4 decades..?

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’m certainly not saying that SOME people haven’t been priced out. Indeed, this thread is trying to find a solution to that... however, crowds (ours) are at a 40 year high! 

What backs up your argument that people are being priced out, when more people are coming than have been for 4 decades..?

Aging fanbases. Again just to be clear, this isn't a City per'se thing but a nationwide change.

Average age of a supporter now is 41 in the Premier League, Man Utd the most notable example. It maybe lower at our level but without exact figures, I am going to assume it is higher than it was 20, 30 years ago. There's many reasons for this of course, not just due to football pricing. Looking around AG, I'm fairly sure the average age of supporter is now older than it was 20 years for example (others who have gone for longer could and would probably cite earlier examples). 

Indeed for us it's worse! @Xiled said in another thread, our average age of supporter is 46!

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Aging fanbases. Again just to be clear, this isn't a City per'se thing but a nationwide change.

Average age of a supporter now is 41 in the Premier League, Man Utd the most notable example. It maybe lower at our level but without exact figures, I am going to assume it is higher than it was 20, 30 years ago. There's many reasons for this of course, not just due to football pricing. Looking around AG, I'm fairly sure the average age of supporter is now older than it was 20 years for example (others who have gone for longer could and would probably cite earlier examples). 

Indeed for us it's worse! @Xiled said in another thread, our average age of supporter is 46!

I agree with your points about aging fan base, but child prices are one area that pricing is generally very good. Even after the increases! which ARE optional.

I would say the single biggest factor, like most things that aren’t so good about football these days, is the SKY TV culture. 

People 40yrs plus went to football, if they liked it. People under 25/30 just turn the telly on for it. THAT is the biggest difference and also why prices go up..!

One thing alone is largely responsible for changing football, whether you see those changes as good OR bad - it’s because of SKY TV and their insistence on footballbeing a TV show, rather than “real” or a community thing.

39 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I agree with your points about aging fan base, but child prices are one area that pricing is generally very good. Even after the increases! which ARE optional.

I would say the single biggest factor, like most things that aren’t so good about football these days, is the SKY TV culture. 

People 40yrs plus went to football, if they liked it. People under 25/30 just turn the telly on for it. THAT is the biggest difference and also why prices go up..!

One thing alone is largely responsible for changing football, whether you see those changes as good OR bad - it’s because of SKY TV and their insistence on footballbeing a TV show, rather than “real” or a community thing.

Perhaps if the club had phased in the price rises over 2 or 3 years, then more normal price rises thereafter- that could have been one solution. City have always had decent kids deals though, yeah. I vaguely remember a £32 season ticket and Quid a Kid- the latter of which we still do- so I concur about good prices for this age group. Think in one hit, and with the moves though, perhaps too much too soon.

Yep, fully agree with that- Sky TV and consuming games through that has played a massive role. I would also add increased geographical mobility- for example I work with not that many people from Bristol, as a proportion of my co-workers. Certainly not in a majority and they are likely to have pre-existing sides so supporting City (or- and you'd be mad to- that other side in Bristol!) is less likely. Certainly if my workplace is representative. However the predominant reason is Sky ultimately.

Fully agree about the Sky TV thing. So-say Liverpool fans from Home Counties, or Man U fans from South Gloucs/North Somerset who I work with are a real prime example. It's the same everywhere too, all cities I suspect.

1 hour ago, AshtonPark said:

I’m not sure I agree with fans being priced out, attendances seem to be going up every year in the football league really. 

They are being replaced...fans are being priced out, but similar numbers and more- who have more disposable income- are taking their place.

Obviously this isn't the same at all clubs, may well vary on a club-by-club basis but it's definitely true that people are getting priced out. I definitely think a % of working class supporters have been priced out in the last 15, 20, 30 years for sure! Perhaps younger supporters also to some extent, and a combination of these 2 things- as well as the abolition of terracing and no scope yet for safe-standing, has helped kill the atmosphere in England in general.

Overall numbers may well be rising...but plenty who could afford it who now can't IMO. It's clear supporters are being priced out- and the higher you go, the more prevalent it gets. One thing I would add- our fanbase is no different to any other, not these days.

Archived