IGNORED

THAT Kent ‘pass’

RedM

I’ve seen a couple of comments on other threads but maybe we could have some discussion here as I need help. Someone please explain to me how our team benefits by him playing?

Before I start, yes I realise he is young, away from home, only on loan (thank God). He maybe a brilliant player one day, for someone else as he obviously has ‘something’ as Liverpool have picked him up, but for us here and now, it’s a no from me.

I’ve not seen him put one good shift in yet, nothing to include him in the squad never mind starting or a place on the bench. He came on yesterday and almost immediately when we were in possession made a cross field ball instead of being played forward played backwards and when most of our players were advancing we were suddenly on the backfoot. It wasn’t a badly hit ball that was intercepted, it was a deliberaly played pass, I honestly think he forgot which colour we were playing in, saw a free player wearing red and passed the ball! It was that bizarre!! Barnsley very nearly had the ball in the net from that. 

I’m sure he is a lovely lad and I wish him well, at another club. I’m sure we have youngsters who are at least equal in what he offers, hopefully better. He STILL doesn’t look up, he STILL wants to take on three players and dazzle them with ‘tricks’ .

Waste of time for him being here, waste of time for us being here. But that’s pretty standard with our other loans too this season. Shocking use of the loan system.

Rant over.

Possibly clutching at straws, but here goes ....  He often seems to dribble without getting much closer to goal.  Does this help create space for other players?  Perhaps the opposition don't know about him and might actually be scared when he starts running with the ball?

Still, the good thing about both Kent and Diony is that they are only loans

Second away game I’ve been to after Preston where his arrival on the pitch did absolutely nothing to improve us.

I echo much of what RedM has said in that I don’t think he’s utterly terrible or that he won’t end up a good player, but right here right now he is not contributing in a positive way.

Genuinely have seen Eliasson show more when brought on to try and improve us, so at a loss as to why Kent is getting minutes above him.

Hope Kent smashes a hat trick next game to prove me wrong, of course, but don’t see that happening. 

5 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

With hindsight yes a poor loan signing but at the time I was very excited. 

Me too. 

Reminds me of when Michael Bridges signed for us in how you feel you aren’t seeing the player you thought you were getting.

Was brilliant against us, obviously got talent but something isn’t working for him at AG and that’s not helping City.

7 minutes ago, red panda said:

Possibly clutching at straws, but here goes ....  He often seems to dribble without getting much closer to goal.  Does this help create space for other players?  Perhaps the opposition don't know about him and might actually be scared when he starts running with the ball?

Still, the good thing about both Kent and Diony is that they are only loans

Wasn't  he at Barnsley last season before they sent him back? Their forum seemed to imply "lots of tricks with no end product."

Think the time has come to pay Liverpool whatever the penalty clause is and send him back.

We have Eliasson kicking his heels, O’Dowda on his way back, this chap adds absolutely nothing to us & won’t be with us next season.

Personally I think he is greedy & not a team player and the flak Diony has got has spared him more stick.

24 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

With hindsight yes a poor loan signing but at the time I was very excited. 

Did you know much about him then?

Kent and Diony have done sweet FA since they have arrived. They were supposed to be impactful according to LJ. Eliasson also nothing but since he is City's player he is another for the future I suppose.

We will probably look back on January as when we lost out on promotion. Play offs or not we are nowhere near strong enough. 

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think the time has come to pay Liverpool whatever the penalty clause is and send him back.

We have Eliasson kicking his heels, O’Dowda on his way back, this chap adds absolutely nothing to us & won’t be with us next season.

Personally I think he is greedy & not a team player and the flak Diony has got has spared him more stick.

In a way I can understand the greed, he is desperate to prove himself and the more he tries the worse he seems to get unfortunately. I think more work has to be done on the training ground, obviously it is being done but if he cannot replicate what he is learning to being in a match situation, it has to be a major flaw in a footballer surely.

He certainly hasn’t hit the ground running like many other loans, and as you say players like  Eliasson are not getting game time. Don’t forget we have already had Leko here this season too.

I dont believe that him and Leko are poor players. Maybe they just dont fit our style of play. Both are miles better than Paterson though who has done nothing now for months and crazily still gets a starting place.

"What did Eliasson write in Lee Johnson's Xmas Card" is right up there with the Bermuda Triangle, James Corden's success, and Shergar's whereabouts.

He was a regular, rarely disgraced feature from the bench until then - even against Man Utd - and then suddenly the bloke has become persona non grata.

I bet the Discovery channel will make documentaries about this in years to come.

16 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Plenty of people were very impressed with him when he played against us last season, myself included. Why shouldn’t we have been excited when we signed him on loan in January especially when we’ve tried to bring him in before?

His pace and trickery would be a real asset if there was an end product, but there hasn’t been one. Maybe he’s trying too hard, or maybe he just doesn’t fit into our style of play. Whatever the reason, the purpose of loan signings is to make an impact but both Kent and Diony have been disappointing.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I’ve seen a couple of comments on other threads but maybe we could have some discussion here as I need help. Someone please explain to me how our team benefits by him playing?

Before I start, yes I realise he is young, away from home, only on loan (thank God). He maybe a brilliant player one day, for someone else as he obviously has ‘something’ as Liverpool have picked him up, but for us here and now, it’s a no from me.

I’ve not seen him put one good shift in yet, nothing to include him in the squad never mind starting or a place on the bench. He came on yesterday and almost immediately when we were in possession made a cross field ball instead of being played forward played backwards and when most of our players were advancing we were suddenly on the backfoot. It wasn’t a badly hit ball that was intercepted, it was a deliberaly played pass, I honestly think he forgot which colour we were playing in, saw a free player wearing red and passed the ball! It was that bizarre!! Barnsley very nearly had the ball in the net from that. 

I’m sure he is a lovely lad and I wish him well, at another club. I’m sure we have youngsters who are at least equal in what he offers, hopefully better. He STILL doesn’t look up, he STILL wants to take on three players and dazzle them with ‘tricks’ .

Waste of time for him being here, waste of time for us being here. But that’s pretty standard with our other loans too this season. Shocking use of the loan system.

Rant over.

A real shame we didn't sign Jamie Murphy. He was clearly our first target in Jan. 

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Kent and Diony have done sweet FA since they have arrived. They were supposed to be impactful according to LJ. Eliasson also nothing but since he is City's player he is another for the future I suppose.

We will probably look back on January as when we lost out on promotion. Play offs or not we are nowhere near strong enough. 

Yes, from what I had seen of him with Barnsley and all Liverpool fans had positive things to say about him.

i wouldn’t have said I was excited otherwise!

A large part of the problem would appear that he is trying so hard, too hard to impress, that he is not playing as a member of the team, but rather as an individual wanting to show off his skills. LJ intimated as much after the Sunderland game. And if anything it's getting worse rather than better when he comes on as a sub with limited game time, rather than being an integral starting team player. Plus his experience in Germany may have exacerbated things compared to his previous season at Barnsley where he was a key player in their team & system.

4 hours ago, RedM said:

In a way I can understand the greed, he is desperate to prove himself and the more he tries the worse he seems to get unfortunately. I think more work has to be done on the training ground, obviously it is being done but if he cannot replicate what he is learning to being in a match situation, it has to be a major flaw in a footballer surely.

He certainly hasn’t hit the ground running like many other loans, and as you say players like  Eliasson are not getting game time. Don’t forget we have already had Leko here this season too.

I am trying to think of which loan's have hit the ground running for us this season?

From memory:-

Diony, Kent, Leko, Woodrow; to be respectful they have all been exceedingly poor.

And with regards to January I had forgotten the forgotten man, Liam Walsh. Firstly, why buy him, secondly, why throw him in immediately for 2 or 3 games only for him to be banished ever since to the reserves? Do we call this in depth analysis of a player before he is bought? I can understand gradually bringing someone in step by step but the way this has panned out so far it smacks of desperation, realisation he is a miss and relegate the fella down the pecking order. To varying degrees you could use the same analysis to a lot of the players brought in recently. You seriously have to question our recruitment and yet, at the same time, give the coaching staff huge credit for getting it right with the majority of 'existing' players in the squad.. crudely, you could say this is ALL because we switched from a Cotterill 3 at the back to a 4. or, at the very least, this is where it all began. 

Get our recruitment right then and we would have stayed in touch with Wolves; that is what I strongly contest.

3 hours ago, Olé said:

"What did Eliasson write in Lee Johnson's Xmas Card" is right up there with the Bermuda Triangle, James Corden's success, and Shergar's whereabouts.

He was a regular, rarely disgraced feature from the bench until then - even against Man Utd - and then suddenly the bloke has become persona non grata.

I bet the Discovery channel will make documentaries about this in years to come.

Perhaps he didn't send LJ a Xmas card at all - that could be it!

Seriously it is baffling how he has not been given a chance given our mainly woeful form since beating QPR at home, especially now Djuric is back and we have someone who will get his head on the end of any decent crosses, as he showed against Ipswich. Pato has been consistently poor, Kent shown no end product, but Eliasson still not given a chance, even off the bench. Now I know some LJ 'lover' will say we don't see them in training and LJ does, but with Pato & Kent failing to deliver in matches where it counts, surely Eliasson should be given a chance?

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Kent has all the fancy tricks, pace and delivers a good corner, but that's pretty much it. Lack of intelligence, poor movement and vision. Poor shot on him, poor crosses in open play, poor passer, he is lightweight, poor at tracking back. He keeps onto the ball too long, wanting too many touches. He can't tackle and does not press like others in our team

Apart from all that, he's a fine player!!:whistle:

Archived