IGNORED

Have any other side recruited as badly as us?

Londoner

56 minutes ago, Buckeyed said:

Yet they are below us in the league.

Add into that Cunningham aswell, all I am saying is our League one squad, assembled under various managers are still playing at a high level in the Championship. Even the ageing Wilbraham has had some game time at this level still. Yes it was an expensive league one squad but it did the job. Since then we have recruited players who mostly have moved on (Kodjia, Tomlin) or are long term ones for the future, Taylor Moore, Engval, Ellison etc or have been long term injured, GoN, Hegler etc.

We have been unlucky, but we have also been lucky too with the emergence of Reid. With what we have invested in transfers I can’t see us getting value back,  either by playing the players (are they suddenly going to turn into Championship quality, perhaps if they do a Bobby) or by selling them on. Then we have to start the process again.

I think we need a blend of youth and experience, especially if next year we see a few experienced heads move on. It’s part of football of course that players do move on, but I’m not sure if what we have out on loan now will be ready or able to make the step up, or if what we have on the sidelines now, although Lloyd Kelly has impressed me. 

2 hours ago, RedM said:

And players we had, Freeman and Ayling for example playing a major role at Championship clubs (injuries aside).

Yep - I can’t help feeling that a back four of Cunningham, Baker, Flint and Ayling would have ensured more consistency - but never mind! Our management team decided to get rid of those two full backs....

58 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep - I can’t help feeling that a back four of Cunningham, Baker, Flint and Ayling would have ensured more consistency - but never mind! Our management team decided to get rid of those two full backs....

We certainly haven’t been settled since in that position. Surprised we have done so well really with a centre half filling in at RB for most of the season. Credit where it’s due but Bailey Wright looks more comfortable there than we does in the middle of the defence, no I’m not saying he is perfect, far from it. And at LB we have had Mags and Joe, neither of which are proper left backs are they.

I think the answer to the OP is plenty of other sides have recruited as badly as us, but they are either at the middle or the bottom of the table - where we're heading.  Or they have parachute millions that allows them to splash cash like monopoly money and write off expensive flops. 

Johnson's January will go down in City lore as, as bad as Cotterill's summer. 

4 hours ago, Buckeyed said:

So we are the worst team in the league at transfers? And we sit 7th in the league? Blimey! LJ must be the best coach in the world!

Can someone explain how Sunderland, Birmingham, Brentford, Reading, Hull, Forest are apparently better than us? (there are many more we could add to that list),

Some people want it both ways, if LJ has wasted millions on rubbish players then he must be an amazing coach to get them into 7th, but the consensus seems to be on here that he’s a rubbish coach, so if he’s rubbish and the signings are rubbish, why are we in 7th?

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

How do you know they wanted to stay?  If I was Ayling, the chance to play for Leeds is a good opportunity, a much bigger club than us, even if they are in a state of flux currently.  

Cunningham left 3/4 years ago didn’t he, after we got relegated and before LJ and Ashton were even here!  

Im not an LJ lover particularly but some people on here over simplify football management

3 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

How do you know they wanted to stay?  If I was Ayling, the chance to play for Leeds is a good opportunity, a much bigger club than us, even if they are in a state of flux currently.  

Cunningham left 3/4 years ago didn’t he, after we got relegated and before LJ and Ashton were even here!  

We sold Cunningham to Preston summer 2015.

That said, definitely cannot blame LJ for that one! Ashton? He was at the club, then went away and then returned IIRC? Unsure of the dates?

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We sold Cunningham to Preston summer 2015.

That said, definitely cannot blame LJ for that one! Ashton? He was at the club, then went away and then returned IIRC? Unsure of the dates?

Ashton left City mid way through 2014 to go to Oxford, before Cunningham was sold, Ashton came back around Jan 2016 

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Im not an LJ lover particularly but some people on here over simplify football management

Yep, I wasn’t talking about LJ when referring to Ayling and Cunningham...I just thought that if those two were either side of Baker and Flint we’d have been more consistent - by management team I meant whoever was in charge when they went...

7 hours ago, glynriley said:

I've copied this lot off Wiki so might not be 100% accurate, but this is a list of players signed since the summer transfer window preceding last season. Not many of that lot paying off at the moment, and the best one is no longer here!

No way !

Has Diony gone?

Archived