IGNORED

Flat Atmosphere (The Future) & Shouting at Players

The Original OTIB

Save for Section 82, it was bereft of emotion on Monday (as mentioned elsewhere of course). I suspect that the Season ticket fiasco is partly to blame for this as it has created a lingering sense of annoyance and disconnect that will take time to resolve in any way - if at all. I believe that the way the club are engineering the seating arrangements will mean that the atmosphere will actually get worse. This is what Ashton wants:

As to venting at players, they are far too soft these days. I recall many occasions in days of yore when even the likes of Gerry Gow were given hell, particularly by the open end. His response? Give it back in spades. Being technically good does not mean that you will hit the heights in this game. Talent is one thing but having the balls to press on regardless is the missing percentage that (by the look of it) Kent does not have (by way of example). Look at how well big Cyrille Regis did under far worse (in fact appalling) conditions. What a strength of will that was. It is amazing how some can block out the noise and yet still focus on their game. You can't coach that, I'll wager.

17 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Save for Section 82, it was bereft of emotion on Monday (as mentioned elsewhere of course). I suspect that the Season ticket fiasco is partly to blame for this as it has created a lingering sense of annoyance and disconnect that will take time to resolve in any way - if at all. I believe that the way the club are engineering the seating arrangements will mean that the atmosphere will actually get worse. This is what Ashton wants:

As to venting at players, they are far too soft these days. I recall many occasions in days of yore when even the likes of Gerry Gow were given hell, particularly by the open end. His response? Give it back in spades. Being technically good does not mean that you will hit the heights in this game. Talent is one thing but having the balls to press on regardless is the missing percentage that (by the look of it) Kent does not have (by way of example). Look at how well big Cyrille Regis did under far worse (in fact appalling) conditions. What a strength of will that was. It is amazing how some can block out the noise and yet still focus on their game. You can't coach that, I'll wager.

It's true-the worlds gone soft...

Anyways,I'm off to me "safe space" for a few hours..

10 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Good points regarding players having the balls to perform. Would go as far as our manager as well. LJ and the players were taking all the plaudits pre xmas so will have to take some of the flak now for poor performances. Put simply we have seen that they are capable of so very much more so I can only assume that the fact we have fallen so far away from those standards implicates a  lack of mental toughness from quite a few of them. A few bad results and we have started feeling sorry for ourselves and gone into our shells. We have stopped doing the things that made us successful. Stopped closing down and pressing with vigor and aggression, stopping being brave and precise on the ball.You can talk all you want about players being human and having off days and of course that will happen but not for 3 months (give or take 2 or 3 games i know). I have seen these players perform at such a high level i can only think that the last 3 months have happened because many of them are mentally fragile and that teh manager doesnt have the man management skills to rectify this.

Can't agree with you in any way. regarding lack of emotion at the Brentford game The gate was full of emotion ...mostly anger at the pathetic display on the pitch.  No shots on target the whole match and only 2 attempts on goal in 96 minutes in a must win game.

See "Don't blame the Fans thread"

Agree with you on your second point regarding players being soft and needing to be "liked" according to our leader.

1 hour ago, Marlborough Red said:

Can't agree with you in any way. regarding lack of emotion at the Brentford game The gate was full of emotion ...mostly anger at the pathetic display on the pitch.  No shots on target the whole match and only 2 attempts on goal in 96 minutes in a must win game.

See "Don't blame the Fans thread"

Agree with you on your second point regarding players being soft and needing to be "liked" according to our leader.

....Bailey Wright gets some grief.

Not sure the fans got their "shots" "on target" Monday either.

25 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

....Bailey Wright gets some grief.

Not sure the fans got their "shots" "on target" Monday either.

bailey Wright was  the one who copped from some  for the intense frustration that I think most of us were bubbling with

I  think there were a few who taken off at 5hat point that would have been the target 

2 hours ago, milo1111 said:

Good points regarding players having the balls to perform. Would go as far as our manager as well. LJ and the players were taking all the plaudits pre xmas so will have to take some of the flak now for poor performances. Put simply we have seen that they are capable of so very much more so I can only assume that the fact we have fallen so far away from those standards implicates a  lack of mental toughness from quite a few of them. A few bad results and we have started feeling sorry for ourselves and gone into our shells. We have stopped doing the things that made us successful. Stopped closing down and pressing with vigor and aggression, stopping being brave and precise on the ball.You can talk all you want about players being human and having off days and of course that will happen but not for 3 months (give or take 2 or 3 games i know). I have seen these players perform at such a high level i can only think that the last 3 months have happened because many of them are mentally fragile and that teh manager doesnt have the man management skills to rectify this.

Why are you not a pro ball player?

Its a serious and polite question. Did you have the balls for it? Did you ever have the drive? The passion? The mental strength to do what it takes to be better that your peers just to get to a trial? 

You can talk all you want about players being human and having off days and of course that will happen but not for 3 months ... Exactly. The team cannot have been not up for it three months. Ridiculous. That goes against the nature of what made them football players.

Bristol City were mentally tough enough to beat Man Utd rise, up the league then ... ? They wake up in Feb as a team and are not!!

Maybe mental toughness is something different. Its technical, tactical, physical and mental all combined into a collective team mind set. 

That is the role of the Manager. 100% at one persons door. 

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

We are not alone...............watching many games on sky, a lot of matches are played out in near silence ! Some make AG sound like a fervent hotbed and a cacophony of noise !

They do mute crowd noise a bit. In case some delicate watching flower might hear some swear words.  :huh:

People can say the worlds gone soft but it’s just changed and personally I think in many ways for the better including being more aware of your own and others feelings.

Of course people will say there’s a difference because we are paying to watch them perform and they earn extortionate amounts and really does the booing and vitriol aimed at them affect them that much? I guess we don’t know, some will be and some won’t be and many people couldn’t give a shit whether it does or not but I would suggest when specific players are targeted it’s more likely.

I do miss ‘old skool’ football and the atmosphere and I did feel more connected to the club and players in the 90’s but I wonder if that’s more to with age and rose tinted spectacles.

1 hour ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I wonder if that’s more to with age and rose tinted spectacles.

Possibly, though I find pouring myself a  chilled Manzanilla, placing Talking Heads 77 on the Sondek, cueing up No Compassion and enjoying such wonders from the comfort of an armchair restores the natural order of things....

Archived