IGNORED

S. Glos Suburbs

BRISTOL86

10 hours ago, Super said:

Live very close to the ring o'bells in CH but never been in there! Any good?

Real locals pub, they all seem to have colds though, lots of sniffing and nose wiping going on.... 

Star is flats now. 

Globe is a decent family pub especially in the summer. Spend many a sunny afternoon with the family in the garden. 

32 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Some years since I have been there, but does The Swan in Winterbourne still exist and, if so, what is it like now.

Idem, The Wheatsheaf, also in Winterbourne.

Swan still there, been turned into a Smokehouse. Still get a few locals in there. 

Wheatsheaf is a curry house now called The Taj. 

George & Dragon still going strong. 

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 18:50, BRISTOL86 said:

No kids as yet but planning to in the next few years hence looking to make a move in the next year or so with the following 20 years in mind....schools definitely part of the jigsaw, thanks for your thoughts :) 

Only just seen this thread.  If schools are a part of the picture, just thought I'd throw in a curveball and suggest Chippenham!  As soon as you have kids, schools become a huge factor and often a reason to move again.  There are two exceptionally strong secondary schools here.  It's a reason people move here.  We have two kids (7 and 4) and apart from being settled in our jobs, the schools are probably the main thing that keeps us here. 

We're 30 mins on the train to Temple Meads.  Chippenham is growing as a town and the amenities are gradually improving with it.  We have some great parks and open spaces.  I'm from Yate originally and consider Chippenham something of an upgrade!  House prices here have risen substantially in the last 18 months because of the line electrification, which effectively moves us closer to London, but remain more affordable than the desirable parts of Bristol (not sure I would really describe any housing as "affordable" in this country, but relatively speaking).

On 17/04/2018 at 12:39, ChippenhamRed said:

Only just seen this thread.  If schools are a part of the picture, just thought I'd throw in a curveball and suggest Chippenham!  As soon as you have kids, schools become a huge factor and often a reason to move again.  There are two exceptionally strong secondary schools here.  It's a reason people move here.  We have two kids (7 and 4) and apart from being settled in our jobs, the schools are probably the main thing that keeps us here. 

We're 30 mins on the train to Temple Meads.  Chippenham is growing as a town and the amenities are gradually improving with it.  We have some great parks and open spaces.  I'm from Yate originally and consider Chippenham something of an upgrade!  House prices here have risen substantially in the last 18 months because of the line electrification, which effectively moves us closer to London, but remain more affordable than the desirable parts of Bristol (not sure I would really describe any housing as "affordable" in this country, but relatively speaking).

Thanks - I do actually like Chippenham and gave it some thought when we first mulled over the move. 

But realistically I’ll not be commuting by train - car is the only practical solution for me really. It takes me about 30 mins door to door now in the morning so realistically we’re looking at an hour each way in the car which I think might get pretty old pretty fast....

You do get a good bit more for your money though so definitely appeals to the tightwad in me....

On 17/04/2018 at 13:24, 054123 said:

Not SGlos, but surely Keynsham is the answer?

I like Keynsham a lot - but it’s surprisingly expensive compared to the immediate surrounding areas. My friends two bed new build near the station was 20% more expensive than our 3 bed in Oldland. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Thanks - I do actually like Chippenham and gave it some thought when we first mulled over the move. 

But realistically I’ll not be commuting by train - car is the only practical solution for me really. It takes me about 30 mins door to door now in the morning so realistically we’re looking at an hour each way in the car which I think might get pretty old pretty fast....

You do get a good bit more for your money though so definitely appeals to the tightwad in me....

I don’t think anyone buying a house in this country could be described as a tightwad! I have serious issues with the cost of housing in this country. My wife and I both work in professional level jobs but we have little hope of buying the family-sized home that my parents could afford on a far more modest single income! Anyway I’m ranting now...

Fair enough about the car travel. Good luck with your house hunting!

11 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don’t think anyone buying a house in this country could be described as a tightwad! I have serious issues with the cost of housing in this country. My wife and I both work in professional level jobs but we have little hope of buying the family-sized home that my parents could afford on a far more modest single income! Anyway I’m ranting now...

Fair enough about the car travel. Good luck with your house hunting!

You and me both mate, it’s a nightmare. We winced at the cost when we bought our first home three years ago, if only we knew what was coming .... we’d have probably stretched further and got something a little bigger from the off. 

On the flip side, it’s only the rising prices that have allowed us to even consider a move so I guess it’s swings and roundabouts. Ultimately long term it’s only going to go up so I guess as long as when the time comes to liquidate your asset, that’s still the case, it’s all largely relative. 

I might actually take a day off soon and get up to Chippy for 7ish and see how long it takes me to do my normal commute. I’m guessing A420 to Wick and then through Oldland/Hanham/St. George to the temple meads area would be a better bet than motorway? Not sure how snagged up it gets around Wick in the mornings

9 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You and me both mate, it’s a nightmare. We winced at the cost when we bought our first home three years ago, if only we knew what was coming .... we’d have probably stretched further and got something a little bigger from the off. 

On the flip side, it’s only the rising prices that have allowed us to even consider a move so I guess it’s swings and roundabouts. Ultimately long term it’s only going to go up so I guess as long as when the time comes to liquidate your asset, that’s still the case, it’s all largely relative. 

I might actually take a day off soon and get up to Chippy for 7ish and see how long it takes me to do my normal commute. I’m guessing A420 to Wick and then through Oldland/Hanham/St. George to the temple meads area would be a better bet than motorway? Not sure how snagged up it gets around Wick in the mornings

I think chippenham would be a breeze to the centre of bristol. I do Bristol to Swindon and back (south Bristol) if I am not taking a colleague it's 45 to 50 minutes to Swindon and about 1 hour back. Chippenham is 20 minutes closer

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

I think chippenham would be a breeze to the centre of bristol. I do Bristol to Swindon and back (south Bristol) if I am not taking a colleague it's 45 to 50 minutes to Swindon and about 1 hour back. Chippenham is 20 minutes closer

What sort of time of day are you doing that? It can take 20 minutes to get to Cabot Circus from the Avon St/Temple Quay area after about 4.30pm - hence thinking if I lived that way it’d be up through Hanham/Oldland/Wick to the A420 

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What sort of time of day are you doing that? It can take 20 minutes to get to Cabot Circus from the Avon St/Temple Quay area after about 4.30pm - hence thinking if I lived that way it’d be up through Hanham/Oldland/Wick to the A420 

Leave Swindon at 3.45 getting into central Bristol at 4.30. In South Bristol by 4.45

I can even get home for just after 5 dropping a colleague off at Bradley Stoke on the way home... Even with the bastard roadworks on the ring road

9 minutes ago, TRL said:

Leave Swindon at 3.45 getting into central Bristol at 4.30. In South Bristol by 4.45

I can even get home for just after 5 dropping a colleague off at Bradley Stoke on the way home... Even with the bastard roadworks on the ring road

Ah I misread your post - makes sense as you’re going against the traffic I guess. I used to work in Aust and it was a doddle from South Bristol as all the traffic was in the other direction both ways!  

37 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

There is a bit of a blockage at Wick most mornings with motorway traffic but it's generally in the opposite direction to the way you would be travelling. Once again, the evening traffic heading in to east Bristol can be bad but, once again, you would be going the other way.

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Ah I misread your post - makes sense as you’re going against the traffic I guess. I used to work in Aust and it was a doddle from South Bristol as all the traffic was in the other direction both ways!  

I used to go the opposite way to Thornbury. Again, generally I could do that in 35 to 40 mins. Apart from when someone decided to have a accident in a inconsiderate area :)

but out is harder than in, some of your options are cut off and you have to take a risk with an alternative route and hope for the best.

5 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I rarely make a journey to Bristol during rush hour (I work in Gloucestershire) so can’t really offer much advice, so I’d listen to the others. Generally at others times I’d go M4/M32 to Bristol and assuming light traffic I’d expect to get to the end of the M32 in about 35 mins.

On 05/04/2018 at 11:42, BRISTOL86 said:

Further to another thread I started a while back (and not wishing to hijack the similar thread in here now....) I’m looking for some opinions on some S. Glos suburbs. 

We’re considering our next house move and the criteria is no more than 30-40 mins drive to BS1/BS2. We like where we are now (BS30) and I’ve got very used to being able to get home in 20-30 minutes so there’s only so far I can go in any direction if I don’t want to go back to spending the best part of an hour each way commuting.

Personally I’d be keen to head south and look at the likes of Midsomer Norton/Pensford etc if it weren’t for the commute.

I’m familiar with our current location and immediate surroundings (BS30/BS15) but casting the net a little wider, properties are coming up in places I’m not very familiar with at all, namely...

Downend

Mangotsfield

Staple Hill

Coalpit Heath

Frampton Cotterell

Yate

Chipping Buggery Sodbury

We’re trying to keep an open mind as much as possible so not ruling anything in and out as yet, just gathering info. 

If anyone is familiar with these areas I’d be keen to hear your thoughts. 

Ta

Your budget may determine where you might go, or at least whittle down some of your list. As someone else said, Yate is up and coming, and cheaper than anywhere else on that list. Depending on the time of day, you can drive into town in 20-25 minutes, or an hour. A bus into town takes about 50 minutes although there are a number to choose from but a train takes only 20. Coalpit Heathand Frampton are fine but I think only one bus serves them (could be wrong) plus they are pricier.

There is also Emersons Green to consider perhaps.

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

Just saw this on Facebook and thought people might find it interesting.

D4A25F7B-CD29-4DCD-AAA1-8F2907D1C270.jpeg

6B7245B5-0F39-48E8-BD77-1E2FB9152A3E.jpeg

Good find, I never knew this. Les Skuse son Danny gave me a couple of tattoos back in the 70s in his St Werburghs shop, they weren't very good, he had shaky hands, I have had them covered up now!

46 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Given the location, i.e. not that far from Yate, do you know whether he was in any way related to Cole?

Maybe, Skuse are one of the local families in Winterbourne Down along with mine, next to Kendleshire,  Yate is only a few miles up the road so not an impossibility 

Archived