IGNORED

the promised land

where's the joy

if we get into the premier league in the next two seasons and assuming LJ is still in charge of the team expect SL to sell as soon as a half decent offer comes along. 

He has an investors mindset. he's spent all his working life investing and helping others to invest and Bristol Sport has been a huge speculative investment in terms of money, emotion and time 

all investors hope for a return on their money eventually and the best way for him to cash out and see anything like a return on his money is by selling the future earnings of a premier league football club. Richard Scudamore is perfectly placed to give him advice and introduce him to new owners and is a life long city fan.

i too was appalled by our performance on monday v Brentford in which LJ's indecision proved final. rank bad selections, management of talent, and team attitude..... a day at the office as awful as many can remember.

in fact for those with long memories that was such a poor performance it reminded me of losing 5-0 at west ham when Julian Marshall was centre back.

but then i thought would i rather belong to a club with SL in charge, clapping his team off like a dervish even though the performance was so bad? or get to the promised land see SL sell out and end up with a Vincent Tan in charge?

so much as i want us to get into the playoffs this season a small part of me is relieved that SL is still underwriting the club and giving it a moral compass.

Not going up may have benefits?

on which premise......even though this campaign's chase really ended when Wolves equalised in december,  what should we do for the rest of the season? 

blood the youngsters? got to give kelly a run and let joe play further forward and see if we can bring back the loanees to see whose ready and start planning for a full tilt at the promised land next season?

Good post...I think your comments representative many of us at the moment... I'll keep wandering down the gate and making the occasional away sortie, taking what comes. Sometimes we can overthink things, as I'm frequently being told these days...:yawn:

2 hours ago, where's the joy said:

on which premise......even though this campaign's chase really ended when Wolves equalised in december,  what should we do for the rest of the season? 

blood the youngsters? got to give kelly a run and let joe play further forward and see if we can bring back the loanees to see whose ready and start planning for a full tilt at the promised land next season?

Are'nt you hoisting up the White flag a tad prematurely ?

1 hour ago, where's the joy said:

if we get into the premier league in the next two seasons and assuming LJ is still in charge of the team expect SL to sell as soon as a half decent offer comes along. 

He has an investors mindset. he's spent all his working life investing and helping others to invest and Bristol Sport has been a huge speculative investment in terms of money, emotion and time 

all investors hope for a return on their money eventually and the best way for him to cash out and see anything like a return on his money is by selling the future earnings of a premier league football club. Richard Scudamore is perfectly placed to give him advice and introduce him to new owners and is a life long city fan.

i too was appalled by our performance on monday v Brentford in which LJ's indecision proved final. rank bad selections, management of talent, and team attitude..... a day at the office as awful as many can remember.

in fact for those with long memories that was such a poor performance it reminded me of losing 5-0 at west ham when Julian Marshall was centre back.

but then i thought would i rather belong to a club with SL in charge, clapping his team off like a dervish even though the performance was so bad? or get to the promised land see SL sell out and end up with a Vincent Tan in charge?

so much as i want us to get into the playoffs this season a small part of me is relieved that SL is still underwriting the club and giving it a moral compass.

I don't think SL expects to make any financial gain from investing in BCFC, he'd have been far better off putting his money into the stock market. Can't see him selling the club, however might hand over to Jon at some stage so he can oversee the transition. If the club is sold I reckon it will be be in the future once Jon has taken over depending how he gets on.

I don’t know Steve Lansdown but my take on Bristol Sport is this is his monument and how this rich man gets close to immortality. He wants to be remembered in the way Harry dolman is but more so. So I don’t think he’ll sell up as soon as we (if we ever do) get into the premiership. Landsdown doesn’t need money and given his age I am sure it won’t be the motivation to sell if he ever does.

A quote from the OP:

"He has an investors mindset. he's spent all his working life investing and helping others to invest and Bristol Sport has been a huge speculative investment in terms of money, emotion and time 

all investors hope for a return on their money eventually"

I agree with the first part as his business career at Hargreaves Lansdown is well known, and I agree with the second part when an expenditure is regarded as an investment. However, I don't believe the money spent on Bristol Sport can be regarded as an investment from a financial perspective. If, when he retired from Hargreaves Lansdown, he wanted to increase his wealth there were far easier ways of doing it than putting money into Bristol Sport. He could have used his expertise gained whilst working to invest in things far less risky than football, rugby etc. I don't know SL, so can't claim I understand why he does things, but my guess is that Bristol Sport is his hobby. To most people, the amount he has spent on Bristol Sport is big money, but when you are worth over two billion pounds, it's small change. The amount he's earning each month from his investments means a few million invested here or there in sport is insignificant.

Some people buy a new car when they retire.  Steve Lansdown has bought Bristol City, Bristol Rugby etc.

2 hours ago, where's the joy said:

... He has an investors mindset ...

But he can also switch off this mindset.  If he always had an investors mindset, he wouldn't touch football with a bargepole.  You must know how to earn a small fortune from football ......

... you start with a large fortune

Yes I don’t post much but hear me out. I believe that for the Lansdowns success on the football pitch is now incidental. As long as Bristol Sport makes a profit they will be happy. If City goes up or down, the business plan will allow it to function at a higher/lower profit. I’m sure Lansdown doesn’t want relegation, his son is on the board after all, but reduced overheads plus income from other sports would ameliorate the losses. Therefore don’t think Lansdown will be selling any time soon, for better or worse. 

So what would you prefer? A fly by night player with instability or a stable “coca cola” brand that Lansdown is trying to create? I am red until dead, it doesn’t feel like the club I grew up with, but I accept that change is change and that’s business. My allegiance won’t change. My I don’t want a “Tan” situation for my beloved reds.  

Archived