IGNORED

Does anyone commute BY CAR daily from South Wales to Bristol?

BRISTOL86

Work with a couple who live in Cwmbran and travel to nailsea 5 days a week. 

No issues except Friday or a event on at millennium stadium.

Also bridge will be free from December/ January.

Journey time 35/40 minute's.

Leave 6am Cwmbran, return journey 3/4pm 50 minutes.

On 4/7/2018 at 13:07, BRISTOL86 said:

How bad is it? Horrendous?

Where do you commute to and how long does the journey take you/ what sort of time do you leave? What about at the other end of the day? 

Cheers

Not bad at all. Takes me about 20-30 mins in the morning to get to Bristol, leaving at 7AM. Leaving from Undy, which is literally just other side of the new bridge, near Magor/Llanwern steelworks.

Weekends timings even better coming to City - leave early around 9/10AM for my Wetherspoons in Bemmy - can be parked up in Ashton in 25 mins, almost zero traffic.

Only times it's bad is when there's a big event on in Cardiff, like the recent Joshua fight. On days like that just avoid travelling or time it well i.e. don' try to cross the bridge at 6PM when the whole of the UK is commuting to the Principality Stadium!

Loads of Bristolians moving to South Wales at the moment (namely Newport & Chepstow) - you can get far more for your money and with bridge tolls disappearing in December and the commute the same as travelling from Bradley Stoke in rush hour I think I can see it continuing.

21 minutes ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

Not bad at all. Takes me about 20-30 mins in the morning to get to Bristol, leaving at 7AM. Leaving from Undy, which is literally just other side of the new bridge, near Magor/Llanwern steelworks.

Weekends timings even better coming to City - leave early around 9/10AM for my Wetherspoons in Bemmy - can be parked up in Ashton in 25 mins, almost zero traffic.

Only times it's bad is when there's a big event on in Cardiff, like the recent Joshua fight. On days like that just avoid travelling or time it well i.e. don' try to cross the bridge at 6PM when the whole of the UK is commuting to the Principality Stadium!

Loads of Bristolians moving to South Wales at the moment (namely Newport & Chepstow) - you can get far more for your money and with bridge tolls disappearing in December and the commute the same as travelling from Bradley Stoke in rush hour I think I can see it continuing.

Thanks, that’s really helpful.

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 13:07, BRISTOL86 said:

How bad is it? Horrendous?

Where do you commute to and how long does the journey take you/ what sort of time do you leave? What about at the other end of the day? 

Cheers

Leaving Wales is great, it's the having to go back to such a shit hole every night that becomes depressing

16 hours ago, Spoons said:

Work with a couple who live in Cwmbran and travel to nailsea 5 days a week. 

No issues except Friday or a event on at millennium stadium.

Also bridge will be free from December/ January.

Journey time 35/40 minute's.

Leave 6am Cwmbran, return journey 3/4pm 50 minutes.

Not sure what is worse, South Wales or Nailsea !!!

It really does depend on which part of SE Wales you are talking about . I have lived in Caldicot since 1982 - I can get over to Kingswood ( where my parents live ) in a comfortable 45 minutes. It takes as long to get from the M32 to Kingswood as the whole of the rest of the journey. My daughter and her husband commute from Newport to Abbywood every day , and it takes them about 35 minutes.But there are other factors to consider. Obviously events at the Principality staduim , but also the Brynglas tunnels - I would not want to commute through them everyday as they seem to be a major pinchpoint - so I don't think Cardiff etc would be feasible on a daily  basis. I would stick to Chepstow, Caldicot , Rogiet , Magor , Undy and this side of Newport. The large new estate on the old steel works - Glan Llynn is proving popular - it's classed as Newport , but its off the Magor junction.. Any questions just ask !

11 minutes ago, harry may said:

It really does depend on which part of SE Wales you are talking about . I have lived in Caldicot since 1982 - I can get over to Kingswood ( where my parents live ) in a comfortable 45 minutes. It takes as long to get from the M32 to Kingswood as the whole of the rest of the journey. My daughter and her husband commute from Newport to Abbywood every day , and it takes them about 35 minutes.But there are other factors to consider. Obviously events at the Principality staduim , but also the Brynglas tunnels - I would not want to commute through them everyday as they seem to be a major pinchpoint - so I don't think Cardiff etc would be feasible on a daily  basis. I would stick to Chepstow, Caldicot , Rogiet , Magor , Undy and this side of Newport. The large new estate on the old steel works - Glan Llynn is proving popular - it's classed as Newport , but its off the Magor junction.. Any questions just ask !

Whenever I have to pop over to the data centre in Newport (the never used LG seminconductor building) I come off at Llanwern and go along the A48 - generally seems quicker than entertaining the tunnel which half the time seems to be closed (typically go early evening/late night) when I’m heading across! 

• Admin

I’ve had the misfortune to work in Newport, chav central it most certainly is, women in shell suits, sporting large hooped earrings, with kids of assorted hues being dragged around the poundshops.......   

I’d certainly take my time to research it if I was moving anywhere near Newport, there is a reason some properties are so cheap.....   Magor on the other hand, I know someone who lives just outside Magor, nice and quiet, like chalk and cheese to Newport.

11 hours ago, Northern Red said:

House prices will rocket when the tolls are scrapped. 

They’re already going up rapidly with people pre empting the change 

16 minutes ago, Anglo-Welsh said:

If 'class' means eating snails and frog legs whilst discussing how bad the British are.....

Now, now that's not fair............we sup fine wine whilst discussing how bad the British are :disapointed2se:

Archived