IGNORED

Bottlers

Tully Bascomb

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Just seen LJ post match thingy..................he is NOT happy. good on him ,he looks really pissed-off ! Get the impression that they have (to quote others) downed tools. If that IS the case then get rid of the lot of them and start again..................... pretty rad I know , BUT it's obviously him or them ,and let's face it, it's going to be them !

Can't agree with that. What are the chances all our players are bad eggs?

Its his job to gel the the players and motivate them. They can't all be at fault. 

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Just seen LJ post match thingy..................he is NOT happy. good on him ,he looks really pissed-off ! Get the impression that they have (to quote others) downed tools. If that IS the case then get rid of the lot of them and start again..................... pretty rad I know , BUT it's obviously him or them ,and let's face it, it's going to be them !

Yeah on his radio interview he seemed to infer that the defenders got out muscled and the footballers in the side played no football.

Not a lot of hope there then.

7 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

It is HIS team. HIS responsibility. HIS tactics. HIS tactical ineptness. 

2 hours ago, BoneyardTIM said:

I've always given the manager and the team the benefit of the doubt this season, bad luck, injuries, grass too long etc but after today.......... The players need to take a long hard look in the mirror. Try, put the effort in and lose and I can forgive you as you can't win em all but play like a disjointed, uninterested bunch of fanny's and you are going to get a ear full.

An entire XI did not put the effort in and were disjointed?

Do players really go out collectively to be disinterested?

Professional football players have to single minded and driven to be football players. More driven than virtually all, or we would all be playing.

Its a nonsense to label a team bottlers en bloc. Look deeper. What has happened to a team that had the mental strength to compete with the Countries best, and now can barely muster a shot in the championship. 

Why?

22 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

ABout time he got angry. Sadly a good 10 matches too late. Hasn’t held players accountable for poor performances. It isn’t all them though. Doesn’t seem like we press as much anymore. Doesn’t seem like we have that same intent to punish teams quickly anymore. These are tactical and no reason we should have stopped doing this. LJ played his hand way too early with an injury rattled squad not resting and rotating and it burned out quite a few. Not just physically but mentally. It has cost us a good chance for promotion. Luckily it is looking like more train wreck teams will be relegated from the prem so maybe a chance next season but have to say I have little faith left in LJ. These horrid runs spanning 15-20 matches over the last few seasons are unbearable. He just doesn’t seem to have that ability to turn form around. 

6 of one, half a dozen of the other. The players clearly aren't playing well, some worse than others. Confidence is extremely low especially compared to our run up until the New Year, and has spiralled down inexorably with each poor performance. It would seem our season stopped after the semifinal home leg, while some of the players do seem mentally weak.

There have been injuries & these have limited any Plan B until recently. But that is no longer an excuse. LJ's team selections have been extremely questionable, whilst some of his substitutions have at best been baffling. He also does not seem to know how to turn around this current slump. His biggest "blind spots" appear to be thinking that Joe Bryan is a defender (he's not) and that Jamie Paterson can play himself into some form (he can't).

In the first instance, we need to be hard to beat, but we are not. If Brentford could shoot, we could have lost by 6 or more, while today was nothing other than an inevitable loss against a team who know their system, have confidence in it, and are playing to their maximum ability. No one in our team is currently playing anywhere near their best.

It's the midfield 4 or 5 that needs sorting. We can't seem to control things in the middle, and there is so little creativity it's painful to watch. I accept that poses LJ a big problem, but he's paid to sort it out, and he seems incapable of that on current evidence, despite his tinkering.

1 minute ago, BoneyardTIM said:

Why is a different question, if I knew why, I would be the manager. The label "Bottlers" stands in my opinion, a team who are void of confidence who lack bottle.

Is confidence driven by preparation?

I will answer. It is. 

Players fulfilling their physical, technical and mental potential is the role of the Manager and his team.

Shaping the physical, tactical and mental readiness of the team should be part of Lee Johnsons training. That is what training is ... Preparation. 

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Something else that has been discussed. When things go well LJ takes the plaudits , when it goes wrong he blames the players. More than one person has said that to me, not 100% sure myself as I don't listen to all the post match interviews, but there are a few I've seen fits that view.

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

In fairness to LJ he gives the players huge praise when we are winning. 

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I think he took the blame recently for 1 game but apart from that you are right,the awful subs he makes at times are baffling and he comes out with some cockassed comment in the post match interview that is even more baffling half the time 

I think he’s been tonnes better this season....one area where he’s learned.  There are areas where he hasn’t though.

23 minutes ago, BoneyardTIM said:

So what is LJ doing different from the first half of the season. In my mind, not a lot. The players have changed.

The team shape differs weekly, the way the team presses alters frequently, the way the team plays the ball through the thirds has significantly changed, there is greater emphasis on set plays v keeping possession ..  

Of course the players mindset will change with altering tactics and defeat ... They are not robots.

It is up to the Manager to have a program in place to Manage that mindset and to have a Manager player relationship strong enough to have players who trust him, and will implement the changes (if capable) he wants.

His team, and it is his now lacks confidence and cohesion because of his changes.   

30 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The team shape differs weekly, the way the team presses alters frequently, the way the team plays the ball through the thirds has significantly changed, there is greater emphasis on set plays v keeping possession ..  

Of course the players mindset will change with altering tactics and defeat ... They are not robots.

It is up to the Manager to have a program in place to Manage that mindset and to have a Manager player relationship strong enough to have players who trust him, and will implement the changes (if capable) he wants.

His team, and it is his now lacks confidence and cohesion because of his changes.   

As someone in the coaching-game, is there anything in the fact that we had a good first half of the season down to an excellent pre-season, where LJ drilled them really well.  

If so, does that mean that we’ll-drilled team has slackened off / been allowed to slacken off.

I once heard Sven say that the England players really needed another full pre-season before a summer tourney, because they’d lost so much fitness over the second game of the season because of so many games, they didn’t train properly and keep their basic levels up.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As someone in the coaching-game, is there anything in the fact that we had a good first half of the season down to an excellent pre-season, where LJ drilled them really well.  

If so, does that mean that we’ll-drilled team has slackened off / been allowed to slacken off.

I once heard Sven say that the England players really needed another full pre-season before a summer tourney, because they’d lost so much fitness over the second game of the season because of so many games, they didn’t train properly and keep their basic levels up.

It could easily be.

Energy can be linked to preparation. If that preparation is excellent it fuels confidence. Confidence drives energy. Physical effort is part mental. 

A well drilled team could have slackened off as a logical consequence of tactical change. Tactical change then affects results. and its a negative circle of situation (negative result) to less poitivestate of mind thus affecting energy and responses.

The Manager and Coaches have to have strategies in place to deal with that circle.

The circle can also be positive with players constantly in a energised and confident state although complacency may become an issue. to be Managed.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think they are trying. All down to manager as far as i'm concerned. We have good players and almost all of them are playing badly. 

Thing is he played the team a lot of people wanted, seemed the players were low on confidence is that the managers fault? Fine lines on another day duric and pato might have hit the target when in good positions.

3 hours ago, tinman85 said:

It is HIS team. HIS responsibility. HIS tactics. HIS tactical ineptness. 

Were you saying that when we were 2nd  in the league and beating Man Utd!!!

My guess would be NO all about our great players!!! Same players who are playing week in week out now

Archived