IGNORED

The four phases of Johnson

bearded_red

Fully aware I'm not pointing out anything new here, but I thought I would look at the exact results. Hoping that my maths hold out..

To my mind there have been four very obvious parts to Johnson's tenure. From taking the job to losing at Cardiff last season, that game until the win at Wigan (I'm aware the real low point at Deepdale came a coupe of games later), the good run from the end of last season through to losing to Wolves and then from that game until now, and let's be honest it could possibly continue on for a while yet..

His first 27 League games brought 44 points at 1.62 points a game which over a season would be 75 points and a likely play off spot.

The next 25 League games provided an embarrassing 15 points at 0.6 points a game which would be 27 over the course of a season and not just relegation, but an utterly embarrassing relegation. (for context McInnes/O'Driscoll's laughably bad team managed 41 points in the season).

The miraculous up turn that followed that brought 66 points from 34 League games at 1.94 points a game which would bring 89 over the course of a season which would give you automatic promotion more often than not.

Since beating Reading on Boxing Day we have 15 points from 17 League games at 0.88 points per game would give you a paltry 40 over a season which is, again, relegation form. To be continued..

Now I appreciate everyone is more than aware of our real Jekyll and Hyde form over the last two years, but the numbers really are stark. In a game in which the difference between winning and losing can often be so small, and you often see the vast majority of teams other than the ones at the top or bottom spending entire seasons bobbing about to slightly differing levels of mediocrity, our ability to brilliant or terrible is really quite ridiculous. It should be mentioned that Johnson also showed form for such runs at his two previous clubs.

Although this season's run isn't as bad at this stage as last season's I fear we are nowhere near the end of it yet and there is a real argument that our performances in the last few games may actually be worse than anything served up last season.

Is there any chance as a stats fan that you could compare those runs against injuries/incoming transfers/squad size? ie if there is a corrolation between what we saw this season, that we appeared better when injuries limited LJ's choices early on? Big ask I know.

I seem to have five phases LJ tenure.

My first reaction was total denial, how can we appoint someone with no Championship experience and an average CV.

Secound was anger , we have bloody sign him.

Third reaction was bargaining, what can’t we go and get Warnock and I hope we go on a bad run and he gets the sack.

Then came the forth phase , depression, how many more long losing runs must we go on.

And now the fifth phase, acceptance, LJ is going manager  until he gets a better offer, so I have come to terms that Lee will leading our  club for years to come.

2 minutes ago, bs3 said:

I seem to have five phases LJ tenure.

My first reaction was total denial, how can we appoint someone with no Championship experience and an average CV.

Secound was anger , we have bloody sign him.

Third reaction was bargaining, what can’t we go and get Warnock and I hope we go on a bad run and he gets the sack.

Then came the forth phase , depression, how many more long losing runs must we go on.

And now the fifth phase, acceptance, LJ is going manager  until he gets a better offer, so I have come to terms that Lee will leading our  club for years to come.

It is like a life sentence isn't it. Lee Johnson and his wayward management style for eternity. Anyone for Bowles?

Archived