IGNORED

Millwall 1977

Mike Hunt-Hertz

5 hours ago, havanatopia said:

The day we celebrated promotion back out of the 4th Division was my first pitch invasion, at Chester. I saw only good cheer at that match because although we beat Chester they were promoted too, along with York City and Doncaster Rovers.

I do recall Cambridge away was rather disturbing; proper thugs from the universiry city had me very puzzled back then.

I never went to as many away grounds as I did that promotion season. And our away support, considering how far and fast we had fallen, was sensational. Everywhere we went seemingly opposition fans were experiencing their big match of the season. City were the huge club in town.

'Terry Cooper's red and white army' still reverberates in my ears. Probably will for ever more. He gave us our pride back and while sometimes, many times in fact, we were absolutely dire especially in the season before, i always felt the players gave it their all... This is why i kept watching them. I don't think players comprehend any of that emotion today save for periodically.

Actually Chester had to seek re-election. Reading came up with us, York and Donny.

How many drinks did you have that day?!:whistle:

3 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

Actually Chester had to seek re-election. Reading came up with us, York and Donny.

I thought that was the case as there were hardly any Chester fans there that day. They all left the ground and left it to us to celebrate with the players on the pitch. Trevor Morgan got the goals I think. We must have had around 3,000 out of a 3,500 attendance that day.

9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

They arranged it so that opposition club officials had to walk three-quarters of the way around the ground to reach their seats.... by which time they'd be covered with cockerknee spit. 

Lovely people.  Not.

I didn't know that RR! :worship2:

1 hour ago, Mr Ed said:

I thought that was the case as there were hardly any Chester fans there that day. They all left the ground and left it to us to celebrate with the players on the pitch. Trevor Morgan got the goals I think. We must have had around 3,000 out of a 3,500 attendance that day.

The original “Snake” ;)

1 hour ago, Mr Ed said:

We were up in the main stand that day and there was a Chester fan with his two Young sons,who joined in our celebrations,said he’d never seen anything like it,reckoned it was his best day ever at the ground.

3 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Because he went on to play for Rovers. Not that we hold grudges against players as we are not obsessed with an inferiority complex. He later came back for another stint at City.

I knew he played for us then went to Exeter was it? And then he signed for us again after playing for the gas....Terry Cooper  came to us as manager after being in charge of roverzzzz and he played for both clubsway before Trevor Morgan did it...I’d never call Sir Terry a snake though!

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

I knew he played for us then went to Exeter was it? And then he signed for us again after playing for the gas....Terry Cooper  came to us as manager after being in charge of roverzzzz and he played for both clubsway before Trevor Morgan did it...I’d never call Sir Terry a snake though!

That’s the thing, it’s only the Sags who are bothered!

5 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

Reading, you are right you know!! And talking of Elm Park.. That one got very nasty. I think the closest i have been to getting a random punch or glass in my face. Proper provocational those Reading fans; no royalty in their behaviour that day. Have I remembered right this time or was that event away to Darlington?!

2 hours ago, Mr Ed said:

I do remember we had more fans than them; maybe that is where we coined the phrase!

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Reading, you are right you know!! And talking of Elm Park.. That one got very nasty. I think the closest i have been to getting a random punch or glass in my face. Proper provocational those Reading fans; no royalty in their behaviour that day. Have I remembered right this time or was that event away to Darlington?!

I do remember we had more fans than them; maybe that is where we coined the phrase!

Chain link fence in front of their Dolmanesque main stand (now away cover at Vale Park) got torn down and we all congregated there...bloody marvellous day.

Also remember a wilderness of brambles and undergrowth at the back of the away end.

Reading fans....blank faced zombie tosspots. 

That Div 4 campaign was my favourite ever (apart from maybe 89-90)

5 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

Chain link fence in front of their Dolmanesque main stand (now away cover at Vale Park) got torn down and we all congregated there...bloody marvellous day.

Also remember a wilderness of brambles and undergrowth at the back of the away end.

Reading fans....blank faced zombie tosspots. 

That Div 4 campaign was my favourite ever (apart from maybe 89-90)

Vaguely recall Vale Park. That div 4 campaign was my favourite not only because i went to so many games but also due to the fact a pennyless club could start again with a bunch of teenagers and one or two others and bounce back. Truly memorable..

Archived