IGNORED

What is Esport?

cidercity1987

26 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Hang on...

So, if I understand this right it’s a bloke who’s not good enough/can’t be arsed to play football to a standard who then, instead, plays a computer game simulating players who are good enough.

I was sh!t hot at Streets of Rage 2 back in the day, but this seems to me to be sad in all fronts.

Streets of rage haha,that takes me back 

18 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43736875

Heard a bit about this and just read the above article. But I'm still none the wiser. What is it?

Some weird blokes sat in their room playing FIFA? 

I really don't understand.

What is the impact and potential for Bristol City?

Having played an esport semi-pro myself, I can say that if you reach a high level, there is big money to be made. Fifa is very difficult to get into and isn’t as high paying as other games. However F.C. Kopenhagen have purchased a Esports team who play a game called CS:GO called North, and they have made a lot of money through it.

6 hours ago, RedDave said:

They see it as some sort of art to be as good as some are at these games. 

Each to their own.  You could break anything down to sound crap if you wanted.

Absolutely.

What's that Hamlet all about then? A bunch of people stood on a stage talking to each other and walking about. What's the point of that then?

23 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

It gets MILLIONS of viewers. MILLIONS, not 18/19,000 on a Saturday, but MILLIONs from all over the globe, all the time.

Not just FIFA either but games like DOTA, Starcraft and League of Legends are the biggest.  Last year the winning team at the biggest DOTA tournament walked away with a cheque for $10,000,000 (or one Diedhiou plus an Engvall).  At it's peak it had 5 million concurrent viewers - makes even the FIFA tournaments look small fry.

A few of my good friends are very much into eSports management and some of the money is staggering. 

1 minute ago, Nathandao said:

Money gets you a lot of things in life...

Very true Nathandao, perhaps I underestimated the pulling power of a nerd with cash on the hip

After how this season has fizzle out, perhaps I should start watching eFootball instead of BCFC

Archived